• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've been carrying my 1914 Colt 1911 as my CC weapon, and the size doesn't bother me at all, but the weight is getting to be annoying. I weight it at 44oz loaded. What would be a nice lightweight 1911 .45 acp with a 5" barrel? I'm looking to spend under $600. Buying used is not a problem

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Alloy 1911s are great for carrying all day. Not so great for long range sessions. When the time comes to shoot weight is your friend. With a proper carry rig the weight is not an issue.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Colt now makes the full-size Government model (5") with a lightweight alloy frame. Just google Colt Government lightweight. Para-Ordnance also makes full-size guns with alloy frames. Nothing wrong with carrying and shooting an alloy framed gun!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have 2 Colt LW'S 1 in 45 and the other in super 38....i can shoot them all day long just like my 5" gun's......i don't think alloy or steel makes a difference at the ranger....

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    :dunno:
    IMG_2306.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I carry a full size Kimber Custom 2 all day every day.
    I use a Tagua Quick Draw holster w/ a good bull hide belt with no issues.
    I am so used to it I catch myself checking to make sure it's still there. Comfortable holster with a good belt.
    The 1911 sits close against my body, comfortable, and stays in place.

AverageMidwest

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fishers
    Milt Sparks Summer Special for IWB carry with any good stiff 1 1/2 inch belt....or you could spend a hundred bucks or more for a REALLY good belt that will last a long time. But would recommend the Summer Special holster no matter what....

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I didnt honestly think a dude with a 1914 colt would come to the dark side :D

Good luck with your search!

I have nothing against Glocks, but they just aren't for me. The Colt was my first handgun. My friends tried to get me into Glocks, but the 1911 just feels so right. I love the slimness of them as well.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Believe me im not offended. Thats why its important to try before you buy!

Question, is it a colt made in 1914... or is that a style? Im a 1911 noob so im just wondering. If it IS the year... thats very impressive. (Thats why I like glocks, ugly, cheap, and rugged. I dont think I could bring myself to take a 1914 anything out of the safe haha.)

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Believe me im not offended. Thats why its important to try before you buy!

Question, is it a colt made in 1914... or is that a style? Im a 1911 noob so im just wondering. If it IS the year... thats very impressive. (Thats why I like glocks, ugly, cheap, and rugged. I dont think I could bring myself to take a 1914 anything out of the safe haha.)

It is from 1914. It was my grandpa's during WWII. It was passed down to me this past summer when I turned 18 and got my LTCH. Colt is doing their archive service on the gun, so I should know more info about it by the end of the year, but from what I understand it was used during WWI and was reworked and then issued to my grandpa in WWII. and now it's in the hands of an 18 year old Indiana boy!:patriot:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Milt Sparks is about as good as it gets. There is a long wait time for a new one but they're available on the used market. There are also a lot of very good copies of the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Spend the money for a GOOD belt. The belt is probably as important as the holster. Maybe more. If you plan on shooting this gun a LOT keep a close eye on the impact areas where the frame and slide meet. A lot of these guns were not heat treated very well and will not stand up to heavy use. Personally if that was my Grandfather's 1911 I would keep it in a safe and not shoot it much. Very nice gun.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    Colt 1911 XSE L/W Gov't.

I purchased a new Colt 1911 XSE, 45 acp at Bob's in Plainfield (~$900).:D
    L/W Government with blue steel frame, lighter than other single action government model (5") semi-automatic pistol. Gripes are checkered rose wood, sights are White Dot, beavertail, and combat hammer. :rockwoot:

Best part is it has the 100 Year Anniv. roll mark on the steel slide (Bob's had another one a few weeks ago). See picture in left panel.:patriot:

Go Colts!;)

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Milt Sparks is about as good as it gets. There is a long wait time for a new one but they're available on the used market. There are also a lot of very good copies of the Milt Sparks Summer Special. Spend the money for a GOOD belt. The belt is probably as important as the holster. Maybe more. If you plan on shooting this gun a LOT keep a close eye on the impact areas where the frame and slide meet. A lot of these guns were not heat treated very well and will not stand up to heavy use. Personally if that was my Grandfather's 1911 I would keep it in a safe and not shoot it much. Very nice gun.

Thanks for the info. This is another reason I want to get another handgun. I'd like to keep this gun somewhere special (and safe) rather than carrying it with me.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I purchased a new Colt 1911 XSE, 45 acp at Bob's in Plainfield (~$900).:D
    L/W Government with blue steel frame, lighter than other single action government model (5") semi-automatic pistol. Gripes are checkered rose wood, sights are White Dot, beavertail, and combat hammer. :rockwoot:

Best part is it has the 100 Year Anniv. roll mark on the steel slide (Bob's had another one a few weeks ago). See picture in left panel.:patriot:

Go Colts!;)

This sounds like exactly what I want! AWESOME!:yesway:

Top Bottom