• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eric86

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Princeton, Indiana
    I have been looking to buy a handgun, it will be my first. I was wanting to buy a XDM 40. I have handeled a couple of them and they felt great. The issue I had with them was the slide release. It was very uncomfortable to use.

So what are the best ambidextrous handguns at under $600?

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You can switch the mag release on the M&P's, and the slide release is on both sides. Really it is not just the best ambi handgun, it is the best handgun.

jlgray

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    Clarksville
    im a lefty shooter and beretta 92fs and glock feel real good in my hand, and functions great. also the ambi mag release is nice, but a burden to me due to having to roll the gun in my hand to have my thumb reach the button. so i leave it on the right hand mode. another one would be charles daly 1911 i got the field target model that had the ambi safety in it from factory.

if your looking to carry i would go with the glock

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    The M&P can be set up to be as close to a left handed gun as is possible with todays modern semi-automatics. Slide release and mag release are both on the right side, which makes this gun so nice to shoot if you are left handed. I highly recommend it for any left handed shooter.

guns020.jpg

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I'm a freakish lefty. Find something you're comfortable with. M&P, Beretta, 1911. 1911 is my personal favorite. With ambi, you're good.

I would also make the suggestion that you try to see if you can release the mag with the release on the left...use your "social" finger. This is what I do, because like jlgray, I found that I had to reach to get the release on the other side. Since it's your first, you might be able to train yourself to do this and it would make for one less lefty limitation in your future handgun choices.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been looking to buy a handgun, it will be my first. I was wanting to buy a XDM 40. I have handeled a couple of them and they felt great. The issue I had with them was the slide release. It was very uncomfortable to use.

So what are the best ambidextrous handguns at under $600?

Best one I have ever shot is the S&W MP. All controls are either Ambi or can easily be switched.

I have the MP Pro 9mm with the 5" barrel and fiber optic sights. Got it new for $490.

I flipped the magazine release over to the right side of the gun in 2 minutes when I was cleaning it after my first time shooting. VERY easy to do. And the gun comes with 3 sized backstraps for different sized hands.

And yes, I am a southpaw.

If you decide to get one...then spend the money and get a GREAT leather holster too....you will never regret it. I ordered mine from El Paso Saddlery, along with a good belt. There is a review of it in the reviews section.

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    My carry gun is a Walther pk380. I bought it because the ambidextrous controls were very intuitive for the left hand. Since then I have gotten to shoot a Ruger P95 and it is an excellent gun that fits a left hand user well and is affordable.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My carry gun is a Walther pk380. I bought it because the ambidextrous controls were very intuitive for the left hand. Since then I have gotten to shoot a Ruger P95 and it is an excellent gun that fits a left hand user well and is affordable.
    ^^This. Why have to go through all the switching/parts swaps when you can get a P95DC and already have the ambi decock/safety and mag release? And you'll have lots of cash left over for ammo!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Got a P12 which is essentially a 1911, and I use the left middle finger for the mag release. It's pretty easy. The mag release on my XDM40 is still so tight I'd be reluctant to carry it if there was any prospect of dropping the mag, and that's even right handed. If it doesn't sort itself out soon, I'm going to have to tweak it. I never really had any issues running anything left handed, though. I like to have one of everything, so to speak, so I'll be able to pick up anything I find.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...The issue I had with them was the slide release. It was very uncomfortable to use.

The slide stop lever wasn't really designed to be a slide release. This could just be a habit to overcome.

Is it uncomfortable for you to push it up and catch the slide when locking it to the rear?

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    A company named Randall made a true left handed 1911, it ejected to the left. Pretty pricy though.

Top Bottom