What is the best revolver (Caliber, barrel length, brand) for range and carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erichardy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Greenwood, Indiana
    I was wondering what everyone thought might be the best revolver for carry and for the range. Barrel length, caliber, brand, etc. I am looking to buy one and wanted some opinions, also if anyone has one to sell they could tell me about it.

Thanks!

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For a revolver that is meant to cover a variety of uses, including carry for personal defense, target shooting, sitting on the hip while fishing & hiking, etc., I am a big fan of a 3" barrel. It is easier to conceal and carry than a 4" barrel, and MUCH easier to shoot well than a 2 1/2" or shorter barrel, as well as providing more power from your chosen round than the shorter barrels. I think the 3" barrel length is an excellent compromise in a "jack of all trades" gun.

As for caliber, I prefer a revolver chambered for .357 Magnum, though I usually carry .38 Special +Ps, and most of my target shooting is with .38 Specials or a light .357 Magnum load. It's nice to have the option to use the more powerful ammo when I want, or the more easily controlled +P .38s or light target .38s for most social work and target shooting.

I'm not gonna get into brand, so much. Ruger and Smith & Wesson make excellent .357s in various sizes and flavors. There are other brands, some of the quite good, but these are honestly the only two current revolver manufacturers I'd buy from.

BTW, my current carry gun and all time favorite handgun is my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum, with a (you guessed it!) 3" barrel :) A review I wrote about mine can be found here:
    Ruger SP101 w/ 3 1/6" Barrel Review

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    For a revolver that is meant to cover a variety of uses, including carry for personal defense, target shooting, sitting on the hip while fishing & hiking, etc., I am a big fan of a 3" barrel. It is easier to conceal and carry than a 4" barrel, and MUCH easier to shoot well than a 2 1/2" or shorter barrel, as well as providing more power from your chosen round than the shorter barrels. I think the 3" barrel length is an excellent compromise in a "jack of all trades" gun.

As for caliber, I prefer a revolver chambered for .357 Magnum, though I usually carry .38 Special +Ps, and most of my target shooting is with .38 Specials or a light .357 Magnum load. It's nice to have the option to use the more powerful ammo when I want, or the more easily controlled +P .38s or light target .38s for most social work and target shooting.

I'm not gonna get into brand, so much. Ruger and Smith & Wesson make excellent .357s in various sizes and flavors. There are other brands, some of the quite good, but these are honestly the only two current revolver manufacturers I'd buy from.

BTW, my current carry gun and all time favorite handgun is my Ruger SP101 .357 Magnum, with a (you guessed it!) 3" barrel :) A review I wrote about mine can be found here:
    Ruger SP101 w/ 3 1/6" Barrel Review

I agree 99% (I carry full boat .357Mag loads). That said, my current carry revolver is the 2" SP101 (pocket carry). I'd love to find a S&W K-Frame in stainless with 3" barrel. That's the sweet spot right there.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I won't say it's the BEST, but It's my favorite carry revolver.

SW651.jpg

SW652.jpg

Honestly, for a carry and range gun that would also work well in the hunting field, I doubt you can do better than a 4" S&W .357 with adjustible sights. I think my 3" is the best for carry, but not for target and not legal for hunting deer (under 4" barrel). Everything is a trade off. i carried a 4" Model 15 (blued, adjustible sighted .38 special) for year sand as far as a carry gun goes, the 65 cures all complaints of the Model 15.

Doug K

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i'll agree with most of what's here, but i think the 4" is going to be more versatile barrel length. yes the 3" might carry better, but that silly little extra inch will allow you to hunt deer in addition to being a truly all around gun. i think the med frame 4"bbl .357 mag is one of the most versatile handguns you can own.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Caliber: I would definitely choose a .357 over all other calibers. The barrel length arguments have already been made, so I'll not comment.

Specific guns I would look at:

Ruger - Security/Speed/Service Six, GP100, SP101

Smith and Wesson - Model 13, 15, 19, 28, 60, 65, 66, 586, 686, 619, 620

Colt - Python ($$$), Trooper, Lawman

My favorites are the Ruger Security/Speed/Service Six and the S&W Model 19, and I'd probably never sell either one, :) though I shot a new GP100, and I'd have to say the trigger is nicer than my Service Six, but not has good as the Model 19 with target hammer and trigger.

I can easily hit paper plates (not every time) at 50 yards with the 4" Model 19.

Last edited:

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The best all around wheel gun for carry and range would have to be the following:

S&W Model 66 / 4" barrel .357 magnum - Stainless

S&W Model 67 / 4" barrel . 38Spl - Stainless (looks almost the same)

If buying new, look at one of these:
    S&W Model 686 Plus Revolver - 4", 7-Shot - .357MAG/.38+P

Made on the smaller and lighter K Frame, these are some of the best all around revolvers ever made.

Last edited:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I won't say it's the BEST, but It's my favorite carry revolver.

SW652.jpg

Honestly, for a carry and range gun that would also work well in the hunting field, I doubt you can do better than a 4" S&W .357 with adjustible sights. I think my 3" is the best for carry, but not for target and not legal for hunting deer (under 4" barrel). Everything is a trade off. i carried a 4" Model 15 (blued, adjustible sighted .38 special) for year sand as far as a carry gun goes, the 65 cures all complaints of the Model 15.

Doug K

I really like those grips!! Makes for a beautiful gun. What kind are they?

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    145   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I really like those grips!! Makes for a beautiful gun. What kind are they?

They were bought several years ago at an Indy 1500. I think the guy is still there. He basically only seel grips and has lot so laminates, which these are. they've survives some pretty rough living conditions and I've been glad to have them. Hold up like rubber but look nice like wood should!

Doug K

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I agree with all the above suggestions of Ruger or S&W revolvers, but I'm kind of weird, so here's my suggestions: either a 6" GP100 or a S&W Model 327. I have both and carry both. The 327 is nice because it weighs very little and holds 8rds in a moon clip. full cylinder +2 moonclips = 24 rds. it's not very comfortable to shoot, but it's not as bad as a J-frame either. Shoots very nicely. my GP100 has a 6" barrel and is a great carry (OC or under a long coat) or range/hunting gun.

Top Bottom