Buying a Bersa 380 for my Daughter (Buyer Beware)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am looking to buy the most affordable small handgun for my daughter. She really likes the Bersa 380 and I have not read enough bad reviews to avoid the purchase.

Like any handgun I purchase, I first look into the used market to find a deal... This is where the wheels fall off the train on this purchase. I am seeing used Bersa 380's anywhere from "same as new" to "more than new" prices. I have no problem buying an in-demand, used firearm for at or near cost. (I could even pay more if I thought that the weapon might be a collector.)

To add insult to injury on buying a used Bersa is their lame 1st buyer warranty. The warranty of a Bersa firearm does not follow the weapon to next buyer! Here is the exact warranty statement:

Upon the expiration of the one-year Warranty, and for as long as this BERSA firearm is owned by the original purchaser, BERSA S.A. offers to service and repair any defects or malfunction in this BERSA firearm excluding the finish, grips, sights or magazine, without charge. Requests for service should be submitted in writing together with proof of purchase and the firearm (insurance and shipment prepaid by the purchaser) to an authorized service center identified on the enclosed list. Return shipment and insurance shall be paid by BERSA provided the service is covered by this service contract.

This service contract is only extended to the original purchaser and shall be waived if the defect or malfunction was caused by neglect, abuse, careless handling, unauthorized ammunition, ordinary wear and tear, unreasonable use or failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance as set forth in the instruction manual.

Please complete and return the enclosed original purchaser registration card, found in you firearm's box, to assist us in providing this service to you. If you require assistance in connection with this service contract, please contact:

Eagle Imports, Inc.
    1750 Brielle Ave., Unit B-1
    Wanamassa, NJ 07712
    732-493-0302

I suppose that I will buy my daughter her Bersa 380, but it will have to be new one. At around $250 - $275 that won't hurt too much. Midwest Gun Exchange has 5 in stock right now if anyone is interested.

The point of this thread is to inform others who have been looking into the USED Bersa market... Buyer Beware!

Last edited:

USAShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    May i ask why a Bersa ? There are alot better 380 on the market. I think I would go wit a Kel - Tec

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    May i ask why a Bersa ? There are alot better 380 on the market. I think I would go wit a Kel - Tec

This is not my decision... She has her choice of firearms and has chosen the Bersa. The reason for my rant is to display what I found about the anemic warranty policy. She may not need to worry about transferring the weapon to someone else, but I have to worry about buying a used one for her.

Thanks for the helpful advice though.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    :+1: for the Bersa brand! I would consider buying new though, some even slightly older runs had issues that have since been ironed out.

As for the warranty issues you outlined....I was under the impression that most Mfg'ers warranties only applied to the guns original buyer. If I'm wrong on that please let me know!

As for the Bersa's, check out some of the threads at :: Bersa Talk :: you can get some good info on them there.

:yesway:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Given your concern with warranties, this sounds like a good route. The Bersa 380 is a very solid, basic firearm. They are very affordable and I'd bet that the non-transferable warranty is part of the reason.

Sounds like you've done plenty of research already, but a great forum for info on Bersa's is: :: Bersa Talk :: - Forums

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    If prices are really that close, buy new. If you get a deal on a used one, don't shy away from it; chances are pretty good you'll never have a warranty issue, and Numrich has parts in case you ever do break something. Looking at how VUPDblue's "bag o' Bersa" project came out, they can't be all that difficult to work on.

bush13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2008
    I am a Bersa 9 owner and love it. I am also a member from Bersatalk.com. It's my understanding from reading there if you need something done to it and send to the colorado gun works they will fix anything without question to ownership. They are the most recommended gunsmith on bersatalk as well. Hope this helps.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I am a Bersa 9 owner and love it. I am also a member from Bersatalk.com. It's my understanding from reading there if you need something done to it and send to the colorado gun works they will fix anything without question to ownership. They are the most recommended gunsmith on bersatalk as well. Hope this helps.

I suppose that makes me feel a little better about the purchase of a used Bersa. This is the kind of thing that I never gave a thought to with my S&W's, Glocks, SA's, Walthers or Sigs.

Maybe the cheap price is making me overly cautious.

I still can't believe the asking price for the used models I'm seeing. But for under $300.00, my little girl is getting brand new.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    there is one for sale by a member here... you may save some cash that way.

Yea, I saw 2 of them and they were in the $275 to $300 range. For that price, I would rather run over to Midwest Gun Exchange tomorrow and get her a shiny one for $283.55 out the door.

Just think... I can share my LCP's .380 ammo with my daughter. It jut brings a tear to my eye.:thumbsup:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Yea, I saw 2 of them and they were in the $275 to $300 range. For that price, I would rather run over to Midwest Gun Exchange tomorrow and get her a shiny one for $283.55 out the door.

Just think... I can share my LCP's .380 ammo with my daughter. It jut brings a tear to my eye.:thumbsup:

Yeah, I did say may... lol. I understand, some think blued steel is somehow solid gold.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    :+1: for the Bersa brand! I would consider buying new though, some even slightly older runs had issues that have since been ironed out.

As for the warranty issues you outlined....I was under the impression that most Mfg'ers warranties only applied to the guns original buyer. If I'm wrong on that please let me know!

As for the Bersa's, check out some of the threads at :: Bersa Talk :: you can get some good info on them there.

:yesway:

I agree, they make damn good weapons now but some of the earlier 380's had issues with hammers and triggers having imperfections from someone sleeping out the foundry.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

I own both a Bersa and a Kel-tec 3AT. I would much rather shoot the Bersa at the range. For carrying, I probably carry the kel-tec more often just because it is so small. The Bersa is a good firearm.

One of the Bersa you will be hard pressed to find any negative feedback on the web is the 9mm High Capacity model.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I suppose that makes me feel a little better about the purchase of a used Bersa. This is the kind of thing that I never gave a thought to with my S&W's, Glocks, SA's, Walthers or Sigs.

Maybe the cheap price is making me overly cautious.

I still can't believe the asking price for the used models I'm seeing. But for under $300.00, my little girl is getting brand new.

It could be the used ones have more than one magazine.
    Bersa is in love with the magazines. I think I paid $37 for 1.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    $229-$249 is the range I normally see at the 1500 for new. $299 for the CC.

$219 from Bob (Plainfield Shooters Supply) is a good price, the best I've seen for a new gun (not surprised though, it is Bob).

I bought one slightly used (one box of ammo through it) with an extra CC mag (~$35)and two boxes of ammo (~$35), so I figure I got a pretty good deal at $220.

I like it. It shoots great, is quite accurate, easy takedown, and recoil is much lighter than my P-11 9mm (similar size).

It's not quite a "pocket gun" like the P-3AT or the LCP, and I've not shot either of them, so I can't compare the subjective recoil.

If it were my CC gun (my CCW is a XD-40), I would definitely spring for the Bersa CC model. The magazine holds one more round and the "beavertail" is trimmed down so as not to poke your side or belly, smoother contours overall, and a bobbed hammer.

What I don't like is the safety (not a sweep down with your thumb like a 1911). You have to push it up; the motion is not natural to me and I can't do it without altering my grip. This type of safety is why I sold my S&W 911 and bought an XD.

I suppose a tactical instructor might have another option for taking off the safety, like pushing the safety off while you take your grip in the holster.

I choose to carry it with the safety off and the hammer on the "safety notch". I don't know if that's what it's really called since there is no mention of it in the owners manual. I will have to investigate further to figure out if it has a firing pin safety... can't look now, my brother has it.

Last edited:

Tommy2Tone

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    i believe it has three safeties.
    1) Magazine must be inserted.
    2) The "key lock" must be on fire.
    3) The "firing pin block" it simply decocks and puts a metal plate that stops the hammer short of the firing pin.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The Bersa Thunder 380 is an excellent value for the money in a SIG P230/230, Walther PPK kind-of-size if that's what you want. Having owned them all (before my tragic boating accident), the SIG and Walter are definitely NOT twice the gun as the price would suggest.

However, for something in that size, one could get a 9mm in something like a Kahr CW9 for around $420 if that's not too far out of the price range. Keep in mind that .380 ACP ammo is more expensive than 9 mm if one plans to shoot it much. The break-even point could be somewhere around 2,000 rounds with factory ammo, after which the Kahr would be cheaper to own. And you'd have a more potent pistol too.

But, if you end up with the Bersa for whatever reason, it's a nice shooter.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tatdale2
    Top Bottom