• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harokyle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    hi ingoers i am going to buy my first glock (G19) tommarow and i cant decide between gen 3 gen 4. Does anyone know what the problems are with the gen 4s?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    From what I heard the 9mm Gen 4's had issues with the recoil springs and causing the gun to have FTE. I have a friend who is also a member on here with a Gen 4 G27 and while it is a nice gun I don't have much reason to buy a Gen 4 all my Glocks have been Gen 1,2, and 3. I like the 3 the best. To me it's one of those instances of if it isn't broke don't fix it!:D

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Also here is a video a youtube user posted showcasing the differences between the Gen 3 and Gen 4 Glocks. Enjoy!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEMAgalSbSw[/ame]

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    To me it's one of those instances of if it isn't broke don't fix it!:D

That's why I'd buy a Gen3 if I were going to. I held a gen3 G19 the other day in a local shop. While I am one of those who completely hates the grip angle, I also love that the guns mechanics haven't changed since the reliability that Glocks reputation was built on. I think the best blend of the working parts of a Gen3 and the grip angle of a gen4 would be the "SF" (short frame) models. My G20SF I bought from 21st has that and I love it.

Ultimately though if I were going to have to decide between gen3 or gen4 I'd go gen3 any day of the week. I saw a guy at the range with his brand new gen4 and I showed him how to break it down for cleaning after he asked. He got something a little goofed up on his first attempt and ended up bending the thin piece of metal on the recoil spring rod of his brand new gen4 g17. Not a big deal and he bent it back, but still why mess with that new "improvement" when the gen3's are still avialable.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Yeah and when I handled a Gen 4 I noticed take down is a bit different when it comes time to pulling the trigger to release the slide, and how you have to move the trigger forward or something when reassembling? I'll stick with the Gen 3 kthanks. :D

R.G.Gray

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2011
    The only advantage the Gen4 has is the ability to change the backstrap.
    Thus changing the grip size.

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    The only advantage the Gen4 has is the ability to change the backstrap.
    Thus changing the grip size.
    And the Ambidextrous mag release..

I too have heard nothing but bad things about the Gen 4. Brownsburg PD tried going to the Gen 4 and went back to Gen 3 because of malfunctions. The Gen 4 will be good in a few years, I'm sure, but I would buy a gen 3 right now.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    I wouldn't hesitate to get a Gen4. Get what feels right in your hands. Every glock after June has the upgraded recoil spring in them so no worrys about which one you have. I just ran all of mine at the last GSSF match with no issues.

Txlur

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    NWI
    They use some gen4 make ejector/extractor parts in newer gen 3 models, from what i've read. They worked fine before, now they have failures, skip the new models all together, and find a used model with an older serial letter/number combo.

Search the 'glock serial number project' for more information on dating your firearm.

I traded a newer G19 for one made in 2000, and I have far less brass hitting me in the face. I have never had a failure with my 2007 (i think) dated G17. Plus, used firearms are inexpensive.

I am not an expert. Some people really like the gen4 trigger, and have had no problems with their firearm.

Amattern

Expert
    Rating - 97.1%
    66   2   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Terre Haute, IN
    I like the grip texture on gen 3 Glocks. I have the gen 3 model 27, and 22. The positive for me on the gen 4 Glocks is the mag release is quite a bit larger. if i decide to get another Glock it will and be for target shooting only and not to carry so I will go with the Gen 4 g17.

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I wouldn't hesitate to get a Gen4. Get what feels right in your hands. Every glock after June has the upgraded recoil spring in them so no worrys about which one you have. I just ran all of mine at the last GSSF match with no issues.

Same. Have the newest spring in my 17 Gen 4, and no issues. Didn't have any problems with the old spring either, but hey, it was a free new spring.

Mine has only 1000 rounds through it, but they have been trouble free.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I prefer Gen 3 and have had nothing but good luck with them. I did have a Gen 4 G17 and it worked flawless while I had it. The Gen4 problems seem to be focused on the G19's sadly, but I think they have the new ones coming out fixed already? Good luck the G19 is a great handgun!

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I went through the same decision a couple months ago. IMO, you should focus less on the recoil spring and focus more on the "feel" of the pistol, because to me, they felt VERY different. The Gen 3 felt right and the Gen 4 didn't, and comfort makes a big difference in shooting performance

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I went through the same decision a couple months ago. IMO, you should focus less on the recoil spring and focus more on the "feel" of the pistol, because to me, they felt VERY different. The Gen 3 felt right and the Gen 4 didn't, and comfort makes a big difference in shooting performance

Just out of curiosity, did you try the 4th Gen without the backstrap extension, with the middle one, and then with the large?

With no extension, grip of Gen 4 is smaller than Gen 3. With the middle size backstrap extension, it has the same dimensions as the Gen 3. With the large, it is bigger. I can't tell the difference in grip between the Gen 3 and a Gen 4 with the middle-size extension except for the more aggressive stippling. It comes from the factory with no backstrap extension attatched, so that is how most people feel it at first.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Just out of curiosity, did you try the 4th Gen without the backstrap extension, with the middle one, and then with the large?

With no extension, grip of Gen 4 is smaller than Gen 3. With the middle size backstrap extension, it has the same dimensions as the Gen 3. With the large, it is bigger. I can't tell the difference in grip between the Gen 3 and a Gen 4 with the middle-size extension except for the more aggressive stippling. It comes from the factory with no backstrap extension attatched, so that is how most people feel it at first.

yep, I tried the diff straps and the mid was the right size. But it felt so darn rough that I couldn't imagine what my hand would look like after 200 rounds at the range. Also, the ambi mag release was a non issue because I like the thumb side release anyway.

Garrett72

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Granger, In
    I have a gen 4 G23 that has run flawlessly, my only complaint is the texture on the grip. When carried in an IWB holster that rough surface tends to rub my lovehandle raw. Picked up a hogue grip sleeve and problem solved, however the rubber grip will grab hold of a shirt and expose the gun thus making concealed carry not so concealed... so I felt the need to go and buy a gen 3 G27 for my carry gun and retired the 23 to the bedside :rockwoot: problem solved!

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    yep, I tried the diff straps and the mid was the right size. But it felt so darn rough that I couldn't imagine what my hand would look like after 200 rounds at the range.
    Yep, mid strap is a Gen3 size. And, the texture isn't bad at all especially if wearing an undershirt.

I wouldn't worry about how your hand will feel at the range. I've put quite a few rounds through my G17 RTF2. Much more texture and it will rub your skin raw during CC. So regular Gen 3s and Gen 4s are not much of an issue. You could find yourself a nice Gen 2 if u want it smoother.

Top Bottom