• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Hello, I'm getting ready to turn eighteen and wanted to know which handgun I should get for my carry gun. I'm applying for my concealed carry license the day I turn eighteen. I've shot 45acp so a large caliber isnt a problem. Just tell me what you think. Thanks

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I think you need to do a lot of shooting before you make that decision. Back when I was 18, I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me come with his family to a week-long shooting class with a borrowed pistol. The training was valuable, as was learning what I liked and didn't like.

Everyone's tastes and needs are slightly different. Some folks love revolvers, others like autos. Some like double action, some single action, some DA/SA. Some like manual safeties, others abhor them. Some don't mind a high bore axis, others demand low. Some can palm a double-stack .45, others need a single-stack .380 to fit their hand. Some people can conceal a full-size pistol (or don't care about concealment) and others have trouble hiding a pocket-pistol and might lose their job if they are discovered.

You can learn to use anything reliable well, but what fits you best will take time (and probably some wasted money) to determine.

I suggest you try to get a lot more trigger time on a lot of different guns, and save up your money until you've found what fits best. Don't let anyone push you really hard into buying a particular brand or model until you've tried it and many others. There are so many really decent carry guns out there these days that you've got your work cut out for you. Also, whatever you choose, get training on it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I think you need to do a lot of shooting before you make that decision. Back when I was 18, I was lucky enough to have a friend who let me come with his family to a week-long shooting class with a borrowed pistol. The training was valuable, as was learning what I liked and didn't like.

Everyone's tastes and needs are slightly different. Some folks love revolvers, others like autos. Some like double action, some single action, some DA/SA. Some like manual safeties, others abhor them. Some don't mind a high bore axis, others demand low. Some can palm a double-stack .45, others need a single-stack .380 to fit their hand. Some people can conceal a full-size pistol (or don't care about concealment) and others have trouble hiding a pocket-pistol and might lose their job if they are discovered.

You can learn to use anything reliable well, but what fits you best will take time (and probably some wasted money) to determine.

I suggest you try to get a lot more trigger time on a lot of different guns, and save up your money until you've found what fits best. Don't let anyone push you really hard into buying a particular brand or model until you've tried it and many others. There are so many really decent carry guns out there these days that you've got your work cut out for you. Also, whatever you choose, get training on it.

:yesway: That's it exactly!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy

There you go. :yesway:

I would recommend you get the gun that allows you to defend yourself the most efficiently. That may mean many different things for different people. Having some professional instruction will help you to quickly realize which handgun is best for you.

Good luck!

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    See if you can find someone or some people that have a variety of things they'd let you shoot, or a shop with a range and rentals. You need to find something that fits your hand and aims naturally, that doesn't overwhelm you with recoil. I carry a doublestack .45, but I have big hands and kung-fu grip, so it's no issue. My build also allows me to CC this, and if CC is your goal, you need to address the issue. The license you get does NOT specify concealment, and state law is silent on the issue, so if you have one, you can open carry just as well. Understand, you must be 21 to purchase a handgun, so it will have to be gifted from someone else.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...Understand, you must be 21 to purchase a handgun, so it will have to be gifted from someone else.

No, that limitation only applies to an FFL (Federal gun dealer/licensee).

At 18, you can purchase a handgun from any other Indiana resident in a private sale. No need to have it gifted.

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've held and shot quite a few handguns and the ones I liked the best were the springfield xdm 45, and walther p99 40s&w, anybody know anything about these, and my dad will get it for me I just have to give him the money

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    OK, I'd missed that distinction, but it's been a long time since I was 18, so it didn't really matter to me :)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...and my dad will get it for me I just have to give him the money

That's where you get into the gray area of a straw purchase. :nono:

Careful talking about him buying it for you from an FFL with your money - that's not a gift and it's a purchase you couldn't make yourself.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike. Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....
    If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. Just like you rarely wear shoes that are UNcomfortable. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper training, and fundamentals, he/she can learn to shoot almost any handgun, or any caliber. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable. The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with .50 S&W. Start with a .22 caliber something, and as your technique/accuracy improves, work up from there. Caliber doesn't count until after you can hit your target.

There always will be a trade-off..... light weight, more recoil...... shorter barrel, more recoil... just sayin....

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

DMNewton69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I understand that it depends on the shooter, and like I said I've shot quite a few handguns, I just wanted someones opinion on a couple good handguns to go look at to add to the ones I am already looking at. Thanks

Top Bottom