• ...and so much more!
  • Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Beretta Nano 9mm Range Report and Review:
    I had the chance to take my brand new Beretta Nano 9mm to the range yesterday and thought I’d give you my first impressions. I was shooting on the 7-8 yard pistol range for the tests:
    8yardspistolrange.jpg

Overall, this pistol exceeded all of my expectations. I used a variety of 9mm ammo which I frequently shoot for target practice and for my personal defense.
    I started with Winchester 115gr FMJ:
    Winchester115grFMJ.jpg

First mag:
    s
    Mag4.jpg

Second and Third Mags:
    Mags2and3.jpg

Fourth mag:
    Firstmag.jpg

The Nano had zero failures of any nature. No failures to load, eject, the slide stayed back on every empty mag, and the pistol has no magazine safety so it shot fine with a round in the chamber and no magazine in the firearm. I think this is an awesome carry piece as it truly has very smooth sides where there is nothing to snag or catch on holsters or clothing. It was certainly nothing like shooting an LCP, DB9, or other snappy pistol that hurts your hand when shooting and practicing at the range. I never felt I needed gloves or a Hogue grip to lighten the impact, even though it was a bit cool outside. It was a pleasure to shoot it with terrific reliability. It ate every type of ammo I fed it, and I couldn’t tell any noticeable difference from various loads I shot.
    I also shot Federal 115gr FMJ and Winchester 124gr FMJ:
    Federal115grandWinchester124grFMJ.jpg

The personal protection ammo I used was Winchester 147gr JHP and Hornady Critical Defense:
    Winchester147grJHPandHornadyCriticalDefenseCloseup.jpg

Pros:
    Comes with two (2) metal, 6 round magazines
    Usable, adjustable 3-dot sights (unfortunately not night sights from the factory)
    Pleasure to shoot and easy to be accurate right out of the box
    Very reasonably priced, particularly for a Beretta.
    A little thinner than my Glock 27 with the single stack design.
    Take down and cleaning is very simple.
    Excellent trigger, I'd compare it closely to the Glock (I know some may not see this as a pro, but I do).

Cons:
    May be a little too big for pocket carry. I’m not sure it can really be considered a pocket or mouse gun.
    No options right now for an extended magazine. Some may not like having their pinky hang off the grip when shooting.

I compared it to my Glock 27 to give a prospective:
    Glock27versusNanoEndtoEnd.jpg

Glock27versusNanoBacktoBack.jpg

Glock27versusNanoSidetoSide.jpg

Last edited:

SixSigmaLarry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   1
    Jan 3, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Great write up! As a Glock owner, I appreciated the comparison to the subcompact.

How was the trigger pull? One of my biggest issues with smaller handguns is a long pull. Just curious how this gun's trigger compared to your G27.

Again, great review and good shooting!

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I felt it was about the same as my G27 in terms of force. Maybe a tad bit longer pull, but nothing as long as the LCP for example.

As I shoot it more, I hope to be able to give more details.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Nice pistol, and great shooting. I just hate the name...Nano

Thanks. I agree, I don't love the name. Especially considering its not really the smallest on the market. But I do love the Beretta part of the name. I've been nothing but pleased with the quality and performance of the Beretta's I've owned.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Thanks for that review. As a Beretta fan, I would normally be a lot jealous but since I have one on order that should be in any day now, I am only a little jealous!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

It will be interesting to compare it to my PM9 which as I have written many times, is my almost constant pocket companion.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Now to find a good holster for it. Options are limited right now. I carried mine in an IWB generic holster something like this:

viewFile.html

I plan to get something else once some options open up.

jtull01

Plinker
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    NWI
    I have been waiting to see this 9MM. How would you(or can you) compare it to the Kahr PM9?
    Sorry, must have missed it, where did you get your Nano? About what did you pay?
    Thanks for the write up!

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I would also like to join the "compare to the Kahr PM9" bandwagon. From what I have read it is a few ounces heavier than the PM9.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Now to find a good holster for it. Options are limited right now. I carried mine in an IWB generic holster something like this:

viewFile.html

I plan to get something else once some options open up.

nano_hn_split_decision.jpg

This is supposed to be a perfect fit according to Parabellum on the Sig forum. I ordered one for my BU9 but it won't come until Wednesday. It's a Split Decision made by High Noon Holsters. The one for the Glock 26/27 is the one that's supposed to fit the Nano.

Linky: Split Decision

Last edited:

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I am also very interested in seeing a comparison with the Kahr. I've been looking at the subcompact models for a while now.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    nano_hn_split_decision.jpg

This is supposed to be a perfect fit according to Parabellum on the Sig forum. I ordered one for my BU9 but it won't come until Wednesday. It's a Split Decision made by High Noon Holsters. The one for the Glock 26/27 is the one that's supposed to fit the Nano.

Linky: Split Decision

Please report back of the fit of this as I would definitely like to see one and hear more...

Thanks for posting the pic...:+1:

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Please report back of the fit of this as I would definitely like to see one and hear more...

Thanks for posting the pic...:+1:
    The holster is arriving tomorrow, I'll report back in the evening.

Meanwhile:

Back from the range. I had 200 rounds of 9mm that I reloaded about 15 years ago lying around and brought that with me. 5.6 grains of SR4756 powder, 115 grain JHP Nosler bullets. All 200 fired without a hitch, no stove pipes, no FTE or FTF. It shoots like a dream. Very nice grip, no place to put my pinky didn't bother me at all. I can't say enough nice things about the Nano. They could have made it a bit lighter, but then it probably wouldn't be as pleasant to shoot. It was easy to keep it on target during the trigger pull without any tendencies towards inducing me to flinch. I also brought my Tomcat and it kicked way harder than the Nano. The only problem I had with the Tomcat is FTF with some Fiocci hard ball ammo. Happened 3 times and it was always the first round in the magazine after I fired the round that I put in the tip up barrel. It worked fine with 6 in the mag instead of 7 so I won't be stuffing 7 in there anymore. I had a blast and I'm very happy with both pistols.

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Thanks for the great review. I'm awaiting mine to arrive from a GunBroker purchase. Glad to hear the positives. I saw the gun at Gander Mtn. Castleton, which will have four (4) to sell on Thanksgiving Day. Please post if / when you find a good holster. I'd like to carry mine OWB because it's small and would still be unobtrusive...

Top Bottom