• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I bought a brand new Kel Tec PF9 from Bradis a couple days ago. Nice looking little gun but I can't get this thing to shoot properly for the life of me.

I have tried 3 different types of ammunition, 2 of which are FMJ. Even the FMJ fails to feed properly!

These are the typed of ammunition I used:

Winchester 9MM Luger 115GR Full Metal Jacket Target/Range

Blazer Brass 9MM Luger 115GR Full Metal Jacket

Remington 9MM Luger 124GR Brass Jacketed Hollow Point - Golden Saber High Performance Jacket

The magazine on the PF9 holds 7 rounds. On every magazine it would fire the first round, then FTF. I'd take that one out, chamber the next, fire and FTF. Take that one out, rechamber and it shoots the last 3 rounds fine.

It did this every single time.

The tip of the bullets that had FTF have a dent, and they seemed to be pointing straight up next to the chamber.

Any reason this could happen? :dunno: Does the feed ramp need to be polished?

I am not very familiar with the issues affecting less expensive handguns or how to fix them, so all help is appreciated!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The most common cause in the PF-9 is limp-wristing. That's not to say the gun doesn't have a defect, but make sure you have a firm firing grip before you go taking it apart.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The most common cause in the PF-9 is limp-wristing. That's not to say the gun doesn't have a defect, but make sure you have a firm firing grip before you go taking it apart.

I should have mentioned that. I have heard of this possibility so I was sure to have a very firm grip on the last few mags. I'm not a huge guy, but not small either....plenty big enough to handle a 9mm handgun. I help it tightly and still had the FTF. :noway:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I should have mentioned that. I have heard of this possibility so I was sure to have a very firm grip on the last few mags. I'm not a huge guy, but not small either....plenty big enough to handle a 9mm handgun. I help it tightly and still had the FTF. :noway:

Crystalship's link is a good place to start. Specifically, look for the "fluff and buff" technique to smooth out some of the feed ramp issues.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If it won't work even with FMJ, I'd take it back to Bradis and have them send it back to KEL-TEC for you.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX

OR handing it to W9ZEB. I've yet to touch a Kel Tec of any kind that runs while I'm shooting it. Usually I can hand it to it's owner. and it might run.

Scutters Did run when Scutter shot it.
    esrices did not run when he shot it after me.

There were at least two other Kel Tec pocket guns I shot. Neither of which ran.

esrice's gave me more type three malfunctions than all the other firearms I've fired in my life combined.... in ONE magazine...

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I'm going to take it to Bradis and hopefully they can help me get it to Kel Tec. I think it's a bit stupid that I have to pay more to get a brand new gun to shoot a FMJ, though.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    The good news is that Kel-Tec will make it right, they have a lifetime warranty, and they honor it... let them do any "fluff and buff"... if they can't make it work they will make a new gun for you with your serial number. You shouldn't have to pay anything.

My P11 has been flawless from day one with every kind of ammo I have put through it. My SU-16A broke a firing pin, and a phone call later they sent me two of the newer better ones for free. No problems since.

paulgl26

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    MOKENA
    i know but any gun can have feeding problems because of a bad mag even new ones.
    you should have more than one mag anyway (that is my opinion)

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    i know but any gun can have feeding problems because of a bad mag even new ones.
    you should have more than one mag anyway (that is my opinion)

In general I do, but I purchased this gun intended as a backup carry gun. Carrying more mags isn't really practical every day for me for a backup gun.

That said, I don't buy more mags without having fired the gun first.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    Man that sucks, but this isn't the first I have heard of this out of a PF9. I have a P11 that has been 100% reliable. I hope you get it sorted out.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    OR handing it to W9ZEB. I've yet to touch a Kel Tec of any kind that runs while I'm shooting it. Usually I can hand it to it's owner. and it might run.

Scutters Did run when Scutter shot it.
    esrices did not run when he shot it after me.

There were at least two other Kel Tec pocket guns I shot. Neither of which ran.

esrice's gave me more type three malfunctions than all the other firearms I've fired in my life combined.... in ONE magazine...
    If you want to brake that steak you can shoot mine ! :D

Top Bottom