• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    First off I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I am pretty new to forums. I just got my first guns a couple of weeks ago and I got a Beretta 92fs. I have fired it a few times but cant seem to hit anything most of the time. I haven't been taught how to fire it and am mainly just learning as I go but progress is slow is their a certain way I need to be holding it or something like that. Or do I just need to keep firing it until I get it down?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sounds like you really need some proper training. What part of the state are you located in? There are a number of good trainers that list their services and upcoming events in the training section. Good luck.

westfork

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Ellettsville
    Sounds like you really need some proper training. What part of the state are you located in? There are a number of good trainers that list their services and upcoming events in the training section. Good luck.

^^^This.

There are tons of people on this board who can help set you up with some good instruction. We all start somewhere, whether it's shooting with grandpa back when we were little or just waking up one day and deciding to take on a new hobby.

Whatever the reason, safety with firearms is paramount. I commend you for asking where to begin and how to go about it.

Let us know approximately where in the state you are and I'm sure someone in your area will have some helpful insight for you in no time.

:welcome:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    First and foremost welcome to the forum. We were all rookies once so don't fret it. As has been said the best thing you can do is seek out training from someone that is experienced in working with new shooters. If you will let us know where you are located, we can help point you in the right direction.

Edit, just saw you are from Noblesville. Indy Gun Safety is located on 37 just North of Fishers and is also a supporter of this forum. Here is a link to his website. http://www.thecauze.com/

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Ah. You are in a good location, there are several trainers in the area. I recommend the ACT (Adaptive Consulting & Training) group, IndyGunSafety, or Tactical Firearms Training. I have experience with two of those groups and all three have good reputations. You may even get a couple of offers from non-pros. Either way, get some training for your own safety and enjoyment.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I live in Noblesville, I tried having my ex-marine buddy teach but I am a better shot than him which is sad

If you want good trainig dont ask a Marine. :): ;)

Also some people are good shots but dont know how to teach a new shooter, it's two different things.

Im sure you can find a INGO menber around where you live who would be more than happy to go to the range with you and give you a few pointers.

Take a shooting class if you can.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I would go to a class but all the ones I have seen are way too expensive for me. Is there an easy way for me to meet members in the area?

Sure, I live in Fishers and shoot at both Marion County Fish and Game and Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club near Anderson. Time is a little tight with limited daylight but I would be glad to get together and at least go over some basic safety rules and help you become more familiar with your weapons. You are not able to respond to PM's yet because you need more posts to have that feature but I believe you can recieve them. I will snd you my e mail address and we can see if we can set something up.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would go to a class but all the ones I have seen are way too expensive for me. Is there an easy way for me to meet members in the area?

If I was not in Europe right now I would be more than happy to meet you, even though im not a handgun expert maybe I could teach you some things.

Maybe start a new thread asking if anybody in your area wants to meet at the range.
    You may meet some friends and learn a few tips.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sure, I live in Fishers and shoot at both Marion County Fish and Game and Fall Creek Valley Conservation Club near Anderson. Time is a little tight wiht limited daylight but I would be glad to get together and at least go over some basic safety rules and help you become more familiar with your weapons. You are not able to respond to PM's yet because you need more posts to have that feature but I believe you can recieve them. I will snd you my e mail address and we can see if we can set something up.

That's what I was talking about! :yesway:

That's a generous offer.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I would recommend taking a class. You might talk with your local PD, I know in my town the PD puts a class on for individuals new to carrying and shooting.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I live in Noblesville also, and wouldn't mind taking you to the range I use and work with you. It would have to be a weekend preferably Sunday. I go to Elwood conservation club it is an outside range if you don't mind that. Let me know what you think. Anyone else interested in going is more than welcome.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I'm going with the crowd on this one. TRAINING. I also understand ones desire to figure it out and fix it alone....If you offered some pictures of targets you may at least get some wild guesses to work from? I know pics of targets can sometimes seem embarrassing, but you're in good company here we won't tease you....too much;)

BTW, Welcome to INGO!

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I haven't been taught how to fire it and am mainly just learning as I go but progress is slow is their a certain way I need to be holding it or something like that. Or do I just need to keep firing it until I get it down?

I live in Noblesville, I tried having my ex-marine buddy teach but I am a better shot than him which is sad

Another vote on some training. With the price on ammo and predicting it would be a slow process to struggle through on your own, I don't understand how a person could not afford training. It ultimately will be cheaper in the long run.

It took me close to 30 years and hours of reading here to realize I would greatly benefit from training. During that 30 years, I served (4) years in the Marines, I shot often, thought I was a decent shot, and loaded tens of thousands rounds. This past summer, my wife, myself, and 12 year old son took the basic NRA handgun class. It was the best money spent. We are planning on continuing with additional training in the future.

Get some kind of training before you adopt bad habits, have an accident, or simply spend a fortune on ammo trying to figure it out.

Top Bottom