• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Anyone else like these pistols?
    I have two East German Makarovs, and I never had a problem with them.
    They both are pretty accurate shooting with either LVE, or Brown Bear ammo. Maybe its the fixed barrels, and the nice smooth triggers.

Now the Tokarevs are a different story. Ive had two Polish that I never could shoot very well. Plus both were very picking with mags that worked, or feed right.
    Then I bought a Yugo that looked new, but I had all kinds of trouble with the safety. I couldnt shoot it very well either.

Saturday I bought a 1953 Romanian. It doesnt have as nice of finish on the outside as the others, but on the inside it looks new. The trigger, and the slide feel very smooth. I hope this one turns out better than the others, I really like the looks , and feel of these pistols. I dont know if I just got a couple of bad ones at first or what, the bores all looked fine, but I sure couldnt get any decent groups with them. I wish this rain would quit so I could put up a target, and try it.

Anybody else have any problems with theirs?

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    151   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    We have a bulgarian makarov. I actually shoot better with it than any of my other handguns. Hurts a bit to fire with the awkward grip. I haven't shot a tokarev, but have a couple hundred rounds laying around. One of these days, I'll buy something to shoot it out of. :)

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    One of my E. German Maks was imported in with a reddish brown grip, and I didnt like it . I bought a orignal grip from Coles, and it feels a lot better without that thumb piece. My other came with the orginal grip, and it was imported in by Coles. It also came with the police maintance paper. I thought that was pretty cool.

On the Polish Toks, I dont think I said that very well about the mags. I bought some mags that would not feed up in the pistol and catch very well. Some would go in ,and catch, but then didnt want to come back out. These werent Polish mags, and didnt have the loop on the bottom.
    I think alot of the problem was in the half moon cut out on the front of the mag. I guess I could have did a little filling, but instead I just took the pistol to gun shows with me until I found a couple that worked right.
    Still didnt help with my shooting.

I do have a Polish PPS with four 35 round mags, and they all work fine.
    I love it,and I can shoot it very well resting on bags. Maybe someday I will SBR it, and open up the stock. Im sure that will help in shooting standing upright.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    Have a Bulgy (10) Makarov and love the thing. It wasn't my first pistol but it was the first pistol I got serious about shooting. I have to admit, the fact the Mak throws brass 3-4 lanes down still makes me feel an abnormal amount of joy :). Stupid Sig tried to make me eat a case this past Sunday; Mak never threw brass in my face.

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have a similiar pistol a Polish P64. It is a handful to shoot, it likes to twist and dive in my hand and it also throws spend casings about 30 feet behind me. It is a 9mmx18 but really is harder to control than most .357mags I have fired. I use it as a truck gun and it sits in my truck 365 days a year. I clean it every year, and thats it, it functions as well as any gun I have ever owned. I paid $150 for it and would buy another in a heartbeat.

guns014.jpg

bud1976

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2011
    I have owned and shot both and never had a problem with eather. You must have gotten a couple of bad ones. Were the numbers matching or parts guns?

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have had a russian commercial Mak in .380 for 15 yrs.,works perfectly.May pick up a 9x18 barrel one of these days, now that the ammo's easy to find.

Sajer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Werent some of the safeties added to the Tok's for importation? I remember a dicussion on gunboards about issues with these.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Werent some of the safeties added to the Tok's for importation? I remember a dicussion on gunboards about issues with these.

Yes. I took one in trade at the shop (Norinco) and the safety was missing. I paid $20 to get another safety lever and have it in the case now. The guy said it wouldn't fire anymore once the safety came off and since I put the new back on it all seems to function fine. I think the safety issue screwed up a pretty good design (a commie 1911?) and I know pre safety models go for some pretty big bucks on GB so there must be something to that.

Indiucky

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I have an East German and a Bulgarian Mak... Love them both. Both are accurate, and have great triggers (German one is better) and I'd use one for carry at times if they had better sights.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    The two Polish came from SOG on sale, and the frames, and slides matched. The barells, and hammer parts, I think were just parts numbers.
    The Yugo came from Gander on sale, and had matching numbers.

Some times the safety would move to the left, and come out of the frame on the right. I had to hold down on the safety with my thumb to shoot it, or the trigger would lock up. I also didnt like how you had to put a empty mag in just to let the hammer down.

I carry my Mak in a Uncle Mikes size 0 shoulder holster it fits great.

Im going to order 500 rounds of LVE ammo this week its only 89.00 dollars. I dont know what the shipping will be yet.

I am going have to wait now for the weekend before I can shoot the Romanian, but I think its going to be a good one, Im not going to give up hope.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have owned a romanian and yugo taokarev and a Russian Makarov all of them were great pistols for the money and I wish I wouldnt have let them go.

Saw one of those commie 1911 at Elmore's a week or two ago... *hint, wink, wink, nudge, nudge*

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a Yugo M57 and prefer it over my CZ52. As for the safety, it caused problems so it came out and went it the box. It wasn't meant to be there and the gun is happier to be relieved of the burden.

As for Makarovs, I'll be looking for ones at the 1500 this year since they aren't C&R. If you like them, consider the CZ82 as well. It's not quite the same, but similar.

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Get a Pearce grip for you Maks, really worth the $10-$15. My EG came with it plus two others grips. I have a CZ-52 that was ammo picky so I traded it for a Ruger Mark II with the 10in bull barrel. I think I came out ahead on that trade.

AMMO USER

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    No they never should have put that saftey on a pistol that wasnt design for one.

I love the looks of those chromed Toks.

I have been looking for a Bulgy Mak for sale here in the Evansville area for a while. If I ever find one Ill pick it up.

Top Bottom