• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I was wondering what is a good price for this gun? I am new to the 1911 and it does have idiot marks. They are asking 850. Should i keep shopping or buy it.
    thanks in advance

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    I was wondering what is a good price for this gun? I am new to the 1911 and it does have idiot marks. They are asking 850. Should i keep shopping or buy it.
    thanks in advance

I bought mine brand new and its the 100 year anniversary model for 800. So I would keep looking around. They are out there for cheaper you just have to be patient.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Without much research about this particular gun, I would definitely keep shopping. At $850, you can purchase a new 1911 from Springfield, Colt, Kimber, and many other "cheaper" brands. If the gun is originally a $1200 piece, and it has options that you want, consider a purchase.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Commander, great choice but you could do a little better price wise, make an offer or look around. that idiot mark could /should save you some cash.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    850.00 seems high. Is it a standard commander or a 1991? Is it blued or stainless? If stainless the idiot mark can be polished and/or beadblasted out.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    If stainless the idiot mark can be polished and/or beadblasted out.

Kinda depends on the depth of the scratch, doesn't it?
    :dunno:
    Personally, I'd pass... but it seems like there are lots of people who don't think it matters. And maybe it doesn't... I just don't find the marring attractive.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    I have an early 1990's Colt Custom Combat Commander in stainless that I bought new for $600. It was crap from the factory and took polishing before it would even feed ball rounds. I would not take $1000 for mine, but that's me.

Woodro29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is stainless and the idiot mark seems somewhat bad. It is from taking it apart and it is from the lever that holds the chamber open. It is a 80 series, combat commander don't know anything more

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have an early 1990's Colt Custom Combat Commander in stainless that I bought new for $600. It was crap from the factory and took polishing before it would even feed ball rounds. I would not take $1000 for mine, but that's me.

I feel the same about my 1991A1 Compact. I bought it for a song (basically $375-ish total, in box with both factory mags), and I've put 1500+ rounds through it and wouldn't even THINK about selling it for less than $1000. Is it worth that much? Nope. But I wouldn't sell it for less, so this way I can keep it!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Kinda depends on the depth of the scratch, doesn't it?
    :dunno:

I've cleaned up many "idiot mark" scratches for customers and have never seen one that was really deep enough it couldn't be taken care of. It doesn't take much to put the mark there and it's usually just an inadvertent slip on the owners part but not enough force to seriously deface the pistol.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It is stainless and the idiot mark seems somewhat bad. It is from taking it apart and it is from the lever that holds the chamber open. It is a 80 series, combat commander don't know anything more

Being stainless it could probably be cleaned up easily enough but i'd definately negotiate.

chipperej

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Boone County Indiana
    I recently modified my slide stop per a suggestion from Log Man on another 1911 specific forum. By filing a groove on the slide stop, the slide stop plunger nests right into the groove and the re-assembly goes much smoother, practically eliminating the chance for producing an idiot mark on your fine handgun. (First time I EVER took a file to a handgun.):D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I recently modified my slide stop per a suggestion from Log Man on another 1911 specific forum. By filing a groove on the slide stop, the slide stop plunger nests right into the groove and the re-assembly goes much smoother, practically eliminating the chance for producing an idiot mark on your fine handgun. (First time I EVER took a file to a handgun.):D

I saw that same post, not a bad idea, especially usefull if you don't have a tool handy to push that plunger out of the way.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    OP,

Definately a worthy gun but as others have stated just a bit high on the price. At that price point for a Colt commander I would look around for a good used XSE Commander unless you are wanting the more classic look.

Top Bottom