• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    After our range trip yesterday my father and I decided to look at Glocks. We both have XDm's and after shooting some more I have a greater understanding of, "Shoot what feels good" when people say that. He uttered the words I've heard before, "I'll take it!" He purchased a new Gen4 G17. I really like it too but for me to afford it I'd have to part with my XDm 4.5 9mm Bi-Tone.

I just had a few questions.

The magazine loader the Glock came with is really cheap, it'd work ok but his is busted right out of the box. Is that a Glock issue or something the store we purchased it at would remedy?

It came with 3 10 round magazines, I thought it would come with 2 17 round magazines.

We both have our LTCH and I'm computer savvy and he is not, which is why I post for him. For me to get into the Glock world I'd have to sell my XDm. Given the simplicity of making a LTCH on pink paper in photoshop would you guys recommend FFL sales only?

Thanks!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    He purchased a new Gen4 G17.

Good. That should help to even things out from the few recent departures. :D Glocks are fantastic firearms and it should serve him well.

The magazine loader the Glock came with is really cheap, it'd work ok but his is busted right out of the box. Is that a Glock issue or something the store we purchased it at would remedy?

They're just cheapie loader helper thingys. If you want something more substantial check out maglula, Ltd. > Home

It came with 3 10 round magazines, I thought it would come with 2 17 round magazines.

That's weird. Was this purchased new? Sounds like some kind of California compliant deal. :dunno:

Given the simplicity of making a LTCH on pink paper in photoshop would you guys recommend FFL sales only?

I'm not sure what the LTCH has to do with it. FFLs still run a NICS check on you, and would figure out pretty quickly if your LTCH was a fake.

Private (non-FFL) sales are perfectly legal, as long as the person you are selling to isn't known (by you) to be a felon or unable to own firearms, and is an Indiana resident. They don't even need an LTCH.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Purchased brand spankin' new. He actually wanted box stock new, not the one behind the glass. It's why he didn't know about the reloader or 10 round magazines. He called me later last night when he got home and was looking it over.

Also, I understand a LTCH is not required, just that I don't want a sale coming back to bite me so to speak. I'd feel better I think going through a FFL. I don't know what they charge and I'd probly take the cost I just want to make sure the person is "proper".

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Also, I understand a LTCH is not required, just that I don't want a sale coming back to bite me so to speak. I'd feel better I think going through a FFL. I don't know what they charge and I'd probly take the cost I just want to make sure the person is "proper".

You'll see this topic covered in detail in the General Firearms Discussion forum. Transferring through a dealer will cost you additional money and you will limit your pool of potential buyers somewhat, but its entirely your call as the seller to set such stipulations.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers

Your choice. But it is not a requirement.

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I haven't sold the XDm yet or even shot the Glock but just from pointing and acquiring a quick sight picture the Glock just seems more natural. We'll go out again next week and I'll have to see how it shoots vs the XDm. If it ain't broke I don't like to attempt to "fix" things.

Also, called the store about the 3 10 round capacity magazines and they said it was standard issue from Glock. Whether or not that's true, I don't know...

Springer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.6%
    68   1   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Shelbyville
    Unless the store is in California then it is not true. The 10 round mags make them legal or compliant there. They must have sold him the complaint version.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    In this state 10 round mags are not the norm. 17 round mags are for the G17.

Gen4's come with 3 mags.

Now thats not to say that you can't get the 10 round mags but I wouldn't expect to see 10 rounders unless I was buying the G21 45 ACP or something.

However if it came with 10 round mags your probably stuck unless the dealer agrees to switch them out.

Or sell them and get the 17 round magazines.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I can't see anyone buying them unless they are in Cali or another compliant state. I would ask them to remedy this due to them ordering the compliant version in error. Can't hurt to try.

And take that XDm and Glock out and shoot at least 200 from each. Figure out which you like better, feels better, shoots better and then make up your mind. They are both great guns. I obviously have my preference, but that's all it is.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Tell your dad congratulations from me, a fellow Glock owner (19 & 20). My G19 i9 my 'weekend' carry gun. Great shooting!

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Glocks...are awesome pistols! The grip angle is natural for me and they are incredibly accurate. I grew up with revolvers (I still carry my SP101 in .357 mag!) and I the only safety you truely need for a gun is the one between your ears (if that one ain't working...you already have problems) so the 'pull, point-n-shoot' ability that Glock gives you is something I like. :D

My suggestion...take your pistol and your father's new Glock out and run through them side by side, one at a time...and see which one you like best! :yesway:

The 10-round mags...make great range mags...whereas I would suggest buying 3 x 17 round mags for carry! :cool:

Just my :twocents:'s worth...and good luck!

ftwphilly

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I figured that would be the best bet, taking both to the range and cycling a few rounds. Somewhere in the area of 200-300. As for the magazines we both would prefer the 17's similar to the capacity of our box stock XDm mags but I guess he's going to keep them.

Being so far north I don't think he'd venture that far for a reloader but thanks for the offer. That Maglula looks like the one. We checked out others but as that handles like every mag it's the one to go with.

We were out yesterday looking at magazines and the prices compared to online...well, WOW:rolleyes:...salty indeed. $25 bucks online and $40 at Gander and $35 at our local store. We use the range there often and didn't make a fuss over the magazines. If I go the route my father went I'll definately specify about wanting the correct magazines given our state.

Indiana FTW:rockwoot:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    One of our customers bought a Gen 3 Glock from a local, less than reputable, Indianapolis area dealer (I'll give you a hint, starts with a D :D ), with Fobus holster and 1 box of Amerc (yeppers, "best money can buy") ammo for $1k and they gave him 10 rounders, stating they shipped 'em that way. He could buy the 15 rounders that SHOULD have came with the pistol for $80 each.... :noway:

Check with your dealer on the mags thing, sounds fishy. I have heard of dealers switching stuff out (or if a gun is shipped with two mags, they take one out and try to upsale you the 1 they removed).

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Also, screw local stores and such for mags. Try online, such as CDNN, 44mag.com or (if you have patience) Botach. You should be able to get them for $20-24 each, heck, CDNN has shipping on special now (either 4.99 or 5.99 total).

Top Bottom