• ...and so much more!
  • cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    hi all,
    if your on a budget like me and looking for info on what handgun to buy here is a list i found when googled "best handguns under $300" This would be my first and only self defense handgun.
    Of course i cannot validate the reliability of the source and cannot speak from experience since i have not fired any of these listed. I'm curious though about what others think and if any opinions, advice or further info feel free to comment.:yesway:
    http://pistols-and-revolvers.pikimal.com/top/10/pikirank/price-30000-or-less-2

DaveL

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Lafayette
    It is probably impossible to get a gun that most will agree they would use to save their life for $300. So your goal is to get as close as possible and get a caliber that you can afford to shoot a couple thousand rounds through to get familiar and good with.

You have entered into the realm of two different huge debates. One is would you stake your life on a cheap gun. The other is do you want to use a 9mm (which is cheap enough to shoot a lot of) to stop someone. There are endless threads debating both of these topics. I will assume you are set on the $300 and that also means you need to get a gun that is low-cost to shoot.

Many won't agree, but you won't get much consensus on your question so here goes ... the Hi-Point 9mm will give you a caliber that is low-cost enough for you to shoot often and get good at (the most important thing about this decision is to get a gun you will shoot the hell out of and get VERY familiar with) and give you a gun a lot of people are familiar with. There is a ton of debate over whether this is a good enough gun to depend on in self-defense ... I'll let you read for hours on that question.

Go to hipointforums.com for tons of info --- Hi-Point Pistols - Hipoint Firearms Forums

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I bought a used Smith and Wesson 5906 for a little more than your budget but you can find them cheaper. I love this gun, dont know if that is what you are looking for but may want to consider it.

john67103

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 6, 2009
    Fishers
    Keltec I would consider these the best value for their money. Definetly many "better" guns out there, but they are your best bang for the buck. I have a PF9 that I carry most days in a nemisis pocket hoslter. Also have a P3AT for even smaller but usually not needed. Also had a P11 but it was just a little too bulky for pocket carry. The PF9 and P11 worked great, no failures of any sort for hundreds of rounds. The P3AT was finicky on ammo, no wad cutters.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ruger LCP
    Kel-Tec P11, PF9, P3AT, P32

The finish on the Kel-Tecs might not be as nice as some more expensive pistols, but they'll go bang every time.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    There isn't a gun on that list that I would trust with my life. Some are fine for plinking but not for self defense. Explore the used market and get a caliber that you can afford to shoot. I would say minimum of 9mm but that is debatable. If you plan on carrying then make sure it is of a size and weight you are comfortable carrying. The Hi Points are boat anchors but some will swear by their depenability. Bear in mind that you will easily run through $200-$300 or more worth of ammo before you are proficient with any weapon that you choose. Training classes and holsters will also add additional costs but are really needed. Good luck with your search.

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    Save up and get something that will really serve you well. A few hundred more bucks can make a huge difference and also give you some more headroom to haggle with.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I'm not sure what the Ruger P series are going for these days but when i bought my P95 like 5 years ago I think i payed around $300. It's built like a tank and is as accurate as I am. It's a bit bulky but can be carried with the right belt and holster.

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Keltec, Bersa 380, Ultralight.

I have owned all of those and I think out of all of them, I would carry the Bersa most often, and I did until I acquired other guns. I usually carry a Bodyguard 380 or a XDm sub compact now. Just depends on season and what I am wearing for CCW. A 38 is a good little gun too.

Seems like some people on here htink you have to spend $800 on a gun for it to be useful, worth the money ,or worthy of owning. Honestly, I have had no issues out of guns Ive paid $250-$330 for, just like I havent out of $600 guns. Shoot s a few if you can, see what feels good, and go from there.

Looked used too! You can save some coin from not paying tax and well as the "new" price.

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks a bunch for all the info fellas. Now comes the part of sorting it all out.:) From most of the feed back sent though it sounds like(assuming all or most of you have read it) that link to the list posted didn't amount to much. I suppose it's a lot like buying tools of which advice i was given was to save up and buy high quality, the theory being that the lesser quality tool would fail when most needed. I should probably note that although i haven't owned a pistol yet, i've completed the NRA basic pistol course where the class had a day shooting at the range a variety of styles and calibers and have since practiced with both Glock .45 and 9mm at a private gun range. Also, one thing for sure is that i would want a semi-auto over a revolver.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    As others have stated, Taurus has many options around that price point. Alternatively, my first semi-auto was a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40, and it was a nice first gun. Yes, the trigger is heavy and gritty, but it's very reliable and ate everything I fed it. I eventually upgraded to more expensive guns, but sometimes miss the 'ol Sigma. The 9mm version would of course be cheaper to shoot. They can frequently be found under $300.

2-SW220023FC - S&W SW40VE Sigma Series Semiautomatic Handgun .40 S&W 4" Barrel 14 Rounds Matte Two Tone Finish

Add shipping and FFL, and it should be right about your $300 budget. Either way, have fun gun shopping!

2-SW220023FC.jpg

cityartisan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Indianapolis
    As others have stated, Taurus has many options around that price point. Alternatively, my first semi-auto was a Smith & Wesson Sigma in .40, and it was a nice first gun. Yes, the trigger is heavy and gritty, but it's very reliable and ate everything I fed it. I eventually upgraded to more expensive guns, but sometimes miss the 'ol Sigma. The 9mm version would of course be cheaper to shoot. They can frequently be found under $300.

2-SW220023FC - S&W SW40VE Sigma Series Semiautomatic Handgun .40 S&W 4" Barrel 14 Rounds Matte Two Tone Finish

Add shipping and FFL, and it should be right about your $300 budget. Either way, have fun gun shopping!

2-SW220023FC.jpg
    Thanks snowdrifter, i didn't know S&W made anything for under $500. Made in USA?

rlidgard

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    NWI
    your best bet is to find a used ruger or taurus for the price. i have a taurus millenium for around that price. but i agree with above comments on one u would trust your life with. thats why i carry a kimber

Top Bottom