• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    In the market for first handgun. Have carry permit so want something concealable - leaning toward 9mm as it seems like a good option for low price, size, round count and less expensive ammo. Agree or disagee? What wold be some good guns to consider?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I like the 9mm because I can afford to shoot it often. It doesn't have the stopping power of .45, but if I can't train with .45 then it does me no good.

I wouldn't carry anything smaller (.380 or .22) for anything except a backup gun.

Go to PopGuns on the southeast side of Indianapolis. You can rent guns there. Try as many as you can get your hands on. Go to the range with INGO members and shoot everything they bring. Do it before you spend a dime on a gun. You'll have a much better idea of what you want after that.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    You'll get lots of good advice to this question.

I would say you need to find a gun that fits you well and you can shoot well. I personally own a Glock, SIG, XD, M&P and a Kahr. To me, the SIG feels the best.

There are other options, but I really don't have much experience with them.

The Glock 19 is rather legendary around here, though.

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    I guess I am an old fogey. I think for anyones first concealed carry gun it is going to be hard to beat a S&W snub nosed .38. Having said that I mainly carry my .45 (SA milspec).

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    The glock 19 is a great option. I bought one as my first ("real") pistol. Before that I bought a Hi-point C9 which I ended up selling almost right after I got it.

As far as reliability goes I think a glock would be hard to beat. Its also a nice size for recreational shooting as well as daily carry.

From what I have heard and seen the glock 19 is a little difficult to find right now, but if you look hard enough in the right places you will be able to find one brand new for less than $550.

As far as caliber goes I would stick with 9mm. it has plenty of stopping power (plus you have 15 rounds in a g19). It is also alot cheaper than .40 or .45. (100 rounds of 9mm wwb is $20, 100 rounds of .45 wwb is $30)

Good luck!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i dont know if its in your budget but i HIGHLY recomend the sig 226 i have one that i am extreamly accruate with and to be honest im not the worlds best shot with a pistol

Go Devil

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Do you have any experience handling weapons?

If you filed for a CC permit I would ass-u-me you are looking for a self defense weapon.

If you clarify a few more details about your person you will probably receive accurate input on your situation instead of personal preferences.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Glock 19.

Ok, now that THAT is out of the way. . .

As other members have already suggested, do make sure you shoot many different guns before you spend any money. Not only will you find what features you DO like, you will also have something to compare when you come across features you DON'T like. Asking this question here, as opposed to at the gun store, is a great idea, as some gun store advice is driven by sales. (not everytime, but its always going to be a factor, as gun stores are there to sell guns)

There is certainly a balance to find when it comes to "Is it a good gun" and "Can I shoot this well".

My #1 requirement, no matter what, is RELIABILITY. Will the gun go bang when I pull the trigger? I may shoot a [insert crappy gun] really well, but if it chokes every couple of rounds, its of no use to me. The opposite holds true as well. [Insert reliable gun] might not be *as* comfortable in my hand, but it runs every time.

Hopefully you will find one that can do both for you.

As for specifics, look for these on my short-list:

Glock 19
    Sig P250
    Sig 229 9mm
    H&K P30
    Springfield XD9

Above all, good luck!

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    i dont know if its in your budget but i HIGHLY recomend the sig 226 i have one that i am extreamly accruate with and to be honest im not the worlds best shot with a pistol

yes yes and yes! or go for the SIG 229. its a little smaller than the 226. or you could go for the SIG 239 which would be great for CC but is only a single stack mag. the SIG 250 is also i good choice if you would like it to be lighter.

SIG > all :patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    There is a VAST array of truly excellent 9mms. Your best bet is to take your time, study up on them, spend a fair amount of time in gun stores holding the different ones, and ideally either rent some or get together with some folks who have guns you may be interested in.

You'll see a bunch of fights about XD vs Glock vs M&P vs Sig yada yada yada. These are pretty much the gun world's version of "Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge." Cold hard facts are that they are all first rate, high quality sidearms. All exhibit proven reliability, accuracy, all (except the Sig) are available in the same general price range. They all feel different in your hands, and when you shoot them, though, and careful study and personal likes or dislikes for the way each feels to you should end up being the deciding factor.

And, of course, such careful study will reveal to you that the XD is the best, the M&P isn't bad, and the Glock is functional but turns it's fans into drooling zombies who can only say "buy glock, buy glock." :D

Don't rule out revolvers, either. For a first gun, or any gun thereafter, it's hard to beat the beautiful adherence to the KISS principal that a 3" or 4" .38 Special or .357 Magnum brings to the operation of a defensive handgun.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    You'll see a bunch of fights about XD vs Glock vs M&P vs Sig yada yada yada. These are pretty much the gun world's version of "Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge." Cold hard facts are that they are all first rate, high quality sidearms. All exhibit proven reliability, accuracy, all (except the Sig) are available in the same general price range. They all feel different in your hands, and when you shoot them, though, and careful study and personal likes or dislikes for the way each feels to you should end up being the deciding factor.

but the reason SIGs are more is because they have much better quality.

peal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all of the input so far. My budget is on the low end for a first gun - ideally under $300. I realize that cuts out a lot of good stuff, but want to start out with something inexpensive before stepping up. I have limited experience handling - mainly a Glock (don't recall model) and Beretta 92. Looking for self defense, but also something to take to the range to work on the skills.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    yes yes and yes! or go for the SIG 229. its a little smaller than the 226. or you could go for the SIG 239 which would be great for CC but is only a single stack mag. the SIG 250 is also i good choice if you would like it to be lighter.

SIG > all :patriot:

Since we're talking about SIGs, I'm going to toss out the SIGPro 2022. You can get it in 9mm and it is similar in size to the 229 but cost less. I have one and love it.

Top Bottom