• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Hi All - am got an itch real bad like for a 5-7... What are your thoughts on them

I'm drooling but can't make up my mind if I should and what I should go with OD or FDE...

The thought of having 20 rounds of 5.7x28 in a package that size is hard to resist.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    from what ive read, the ballistics of the civilian Five Seven ammo suck. Combine that with the price and the Five Seven is pretty much a collection piece.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    You have an itch, my best advice, scratch it.

See your local gun pusher and place an order.

Just remember, like other itches if you scratch too much you'll get infected.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Really - can you elaborate???

Civilian ammo is somewhat neutered, and out of a short barrel of the 5.7 pistol, the muzzle energy is along the lines of a 22 magnum.

more info here
    Small Caliber PDW's: FN 5.7 mm/HK 4.6 mm - M4Carbine.net Forums

It's an neat gun. I intend to buy one and a matching SBR'ed PS90 at some point. The few 5.7 pistols I've rented have been reliable and accurate little tackdrivers. The wife LOVED the suppressed version.

Hap Hazard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Pretty much a center fire 22 Mag. Buy a Kel-Tec instead. And the ammo is EXPENSIVE.

"All other things being equal a good little hammer is better than a good big hammer........No?"

m82mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Milton,In.
    The FiveseveN pistol is a nice handgun. If you want the best Civillian ammo availible, Go to Elite Ammo website, they're in Ill. they load the
    round to it's full potential. It is expensive. I like my pistol and love my
    PS90. ( so does my 11yr old son)

HTH
    Mike

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    I've been wanting a Five-seveN for a long time also. As for what others have said about the 5.7x28 ballistics, It is true that it is no magnum, however I believe that it would be enough for self defense.

Here are some 5.7x 28 ballistics gel results from a Five-seveN pistol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnn...xt=C3a859bfUDOEgsToPDskINQ4OS_nLELkePp4Nf_yfy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U40...xt=C3d37458UDOEgsToPDskLmeP5fHSrkvCe3NEgHDIv4

and if the factory ammo is not enough for you, you can always try the custom stuff from Eliteammunition.net. It is expensive, but it is a real step up in power from the civilian stuff.

Here's a link to their site:
    FiveseveN

Last edited:

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I know a guy that was concidering buying an FN 5-7 for his wife as her first gun for self-protection. I asked him why he chose that kind of gun. He told me that he was asking a member of the local SWAT team what he thought he should buy for his wife, and the SWAT guy told him an FN 5-7. I think it was bad advice. I told him it wasn't like he could just run to Wal-Mart and pick up a box of ammo for an afternoon of fun. I don't think he ever got anything for her. I told him there were plenty of really good choices for her.

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    Wow I had no idea of the ballistics on this round. I was actually thinking about buying a ps90 soon too. Looks like I'm gonna have to find something else. I'm really disappointed, but as always great information from Ingo, saved me the time and money cause I was planning on sbring it and a suppressor for it.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My :twocents::

If you can't afford to train and practice with it, it's a bad idea.

It's a long skinny cartridge. There hasn't likely been enough produced, shot and carried to establish it's reliability vs. common SD cartridges. IE, when you see them on your local LEO's, then they are a consideration.

It's reloadable. Why couldn't you roll your own to rival military/LEO specs? Yeah, yeah, I'm familiar with the "only factory loads for SD," theory of court defense. My guess is that you are in fairly hot water if you are in court for a 5.7 SD shooting anyway.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    Now on to the reality. I have owned a FiveSeven for about 3 years. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it. I do load my own ammo for it, so that reduces the cost of ownership significantly. The factory ammo SS197 is somewhat lame, but it is fine for practice ammo. You can still find SS192, and that is somewhat better. As mentioned in an earlier post Elite Ammo makes some fantastic loads. They have done a lot of ballistics research on the cartridge, and have taken it to a new level. IMO, it is not a great gun for home defense, unless you are going to purchase ammo from Elite specifically for that purpose. It is also not a great carry gun, although I have carried mine a few times. It is a highly accurate pistol at long range. Properly sighted for the correct ammo, the pistol can be as accurate as many rifles at 75-100 yards. Don't lat tha naysayers talk you out of it. If you like it, get it.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    What does this have to do with the OP's question?

I was just responding to some of the previous comments about the performance of the civilian 5.7x28 round. I was just pointing out that their have been a few documented cases of the Five-seveN handgun and the civilian ammo performing well in the real world.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I was just responding to some of the previous comments about the performance of the civilian 5.7x28 round. I was just pointing out that their have been a few documented cases of the Five-seveN handgun and the civilian ammo performing well in the real world.

Ok, I guess I can see that. I probably would have looked for a more positive example instead of the one that you cited. I am really sensitive to the bad press this firearm has received over the years, and I am very quick to defend it.

Top Bottom