Any trigger mods for S&W Sigma Series available?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Anyone know of any trigger mods available for the S&W Sigma series? I like the way they feel and look but haven't had a chance to shoot one yet. The thing I keep hearing is that extremely long trigger pull. Just wondering if there was a mod to make them better.

IndianaSigma

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Huntington, IN
    Anyone know of any trigger mods available for the S&W Sigma series? I like the way they feel and look but haven't had a chance to shoot one yet. The thing I keep hearing is that extremely long trigger pull. Just wondering if there was a mod to make them better.

I like my Sigma 40. It feels great in my hand and hasn't jammed or caused any problems yet. I've put around 500 rounds through it so far. Not the best handgun in the world, but a great deal for the price (paid $285 @ the Fort Wayne Gun Show last October for a new one).

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    This is the best fix for the Sigma. I tried it and it worked great!:D
    garbage-can-tbdstaff-1019_606.jpg

dondavis3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    DFW area
    I love the feel of the gun & it's looks.

But the trigger is just terrible IMHO

I even sent it back to S&W and they made it a little better ..

But not much.

There are so many wonderful guns on the market now ...

I wouldn't recommend it to you. :noway:

IMHO

:cool:

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Man, here I was, ready to rep Indy Gunworks, but apparently I've done that to recently and I'm not allowed to again.

Seriously, Sigmas are trash. Spend a little more money and get a worthwhile firearm.

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    You can find several you tube videos on various trigger modifications and/or upgrades.

As far as trash, I wouldn't necessarily say that.

I purchased a sigma in the middle 90's and after 2 repairs by Smith & Wesson I resolved myself that this thing was a POS so I locked it up and forgot about it. Fast forward to 2010, I wrote a letter to Smith & Wesson after learning of their lifetime warranty and they called me to offer me the latest Sigma at no charge; I excepted.

I've put about 750 rounds of various ammo with no FTF. The trigger is a little stiff but so far it will eat everything I put through it.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Once again, no love fer the Sigmas!!! And I would imagine most of the haters are gun forum commandos who haven't owned a Sigma! Get it...it's a sturdy, well-made gun that goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The heavy trigger is a plus in my book for a HD/carry weapon. Too many people think that a 2.5-3 pound "breaks like a glass rod" trigger is the end all be all of the handgun world. Maybe for competition, but not when I'm hyped on adrenaline cuz some mugger is takin' pot shots at me or I'm grabbing for a headboard gun still half asleep when somebody busts through a window.

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Once again, no love fer the Sigmas!!! And I would imagine most of the haters are gun forum commandos who haven't owned a Sigma! Get it...it's a sturdy, well-made gun that goes bang every time you squeeze the trigger. And it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. The heavy trigger is a plus in my book for a HD/carry weapon. Too many people think that a 2.5-3 pound "breaks like a glass rod" trigger is the end all be all of the handgun world. Maybe for competition, but not when I'm hyped on adrenaline cuz some mugger is takin' pot shots at me or I'm grabbing for a headboard gun still half asleep when somebody busts through a window.

I suspect you are right to an extent. I think alot of people talk about them like they do hi-points and have probably never shot one. I really do like the looks and feel of them but am hesitant about buying one without shooting it first. I would love to shoot one for myself but don't know anybody who has one. Anybody around Richmond have one I can shoot?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I have heard the newer Sigma's are MUCH better than the first generation. I was issued a first generation Sigma as a duty sidearm back in 1997. I qualified expert with it, it was the first handgun I ever shot with. We had lots of problems with them. We would be on the line and the slide would slingshot off the frame after a shot. The slide release spring broke on a couple of them. We also had a few guns shear off the sear block away from the firing pin, causing the gun to lock up. Took a long time to get the slide off the frame, the broken piece would find its way into a place that would seize the gun up. The trigger is HORRIBLE. I did not know better until I fired a Glock from a recruit next to me that he was issued. He was having trouble with the trigger pull and I just laughed because it was 100 x's easier to pull than that Sigma and I was almost 100%. Not long after I graduated, I ditched the issued Sigma for a G23c that I bought myself.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Denny, I was basing my comments on the new Sigmas...I realize some folks may not have any experience with the new ones.
    I too, have heard horror stories about the older guns. The newer SW9VE and SW40VE are fine weapons. The new SD9 and 40 from Smith are basically "cleaned up" Sigmas! Better MP type triggers and forward slide serrations, but they want a couple hundred bucks more for them!

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Denny, I was basing my comments on the new Sigmas...I realize some folks may not have any experience with the new ones.
    I too, have heard horror stories about the older guns. The newer SW9VE and SW40VE are fine weapons. The new SD9 and 40 from Smith are basically "cleaned up" Sigmas! Better MP type triggers and forward slide serrations, but they want a couple hundred bucks more for them!

These are the 2 i am talking about. Maybe I should have clarified that in my OP.

krvincen

Plinker
    Rating - 85.7%
    6   1   0
    May 20, 2011
    Osceola
    I dont know much about the second gen models like in the pic above, but I had a first gen for many years and many thousands of rounds, as did a friend of mine. My word of caution is the model we had was the SW40F. F as in full size, and a wonderfull weapon with a very nice trigger. That being said, it was priced very close to a glock and being about the only other polymer pustol out most saw it as a copycat. Since sales were hoorible S&W in their infinite wisdom brought out the allmighty SW40V. V as in value, and looking exactly identicle in every respect for $200 less was the most worthless weapon I have ever had the displeasure of shooting. Back then there were absolutely daily rants on glocktalk about the crappy "STIGMA", and noone would listen if you tried to explain the f vs. v difference. If you can find one in the F model, scoop it up they are wonderfull. If it says V, run! Run like the wind and never look back!! LOL

Top Bottom