• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am going to be turning 21 at the end of April and to celebrate I am going to go out and buy my first handgun by myself (all others were bought off of somebody else). I am looking to stay around 500-600.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Sorry, got in a hurry, have been looking at the Springfield GI, or Para's lower end, Rock Island Armory, and a couple others.

I would also shoot for a Springer, I did have a Para GI Expert that shot well, i would still have it if the GP100 I love hadn't danced into my vision. Nothing wrong with a full size RIA either, depends on what you want really. There is a Springfield loaded floating around local for $550, if I hadn't just bought a Colt I would have it already. :yesway:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All good advice and I agree, Springer if you can, Para second and I would not do the RIA unless your budget puts you in a corner. JMHO but I know a few folks that had issue with RIA. The Para GI is a great entry level 1911 and is a shooter. I own 4 Para, 3 Springers and a Colt. Love them all. Be very careful, 1 is never enough. They are addicting.
    If there is a loaded Sringer out there for 550 you need to pursue that one if you can.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have to slow down a little bit on the gun buying though for I am only 20 years old going on 21 in April, and already own a Mosin, Arisaka (chambered in .243), Mossberg 500, Marlin 981T (.22), and a Ruger LC9, working on a .45, and if you guys saw my other thread I am pursuing an AR as well, but I will be doing this kind of stuff for the rest of my life cuz like said above I am already addicted like none other

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I have a metro arms government and commander.

Fit and finish on both are great.

The government has about 500 rounds and the commander has 51.

The government model did not like the ACT mag that came with it. I tossed it and got a couple 47ds and also a chip mccormick shooting star which work 100%.

So far the commander is awesome. I threw in one hollow point in the shooting star mag today and it fed without a hitch.

Most feeding problems can be fixed with different mags.

I bought both of my 1911s for around the cost of a new colt or kimber...and I've had people ask if myh hard chrome govt was a kimber. YMMV but paying for a name doesn't equate to quality or reliabilty, nor does generic name lend itself to "junk" as I was told before buying the govt model.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would go for the Springfield myself, as I already own a GI one from them, for under 500, and have never had any problems with it. As stated, you might be able to find a nicer one for a couple bucks more. I also have 2 Kimbers, which are nice, but a little out of the price range you were looking at. I plan on getting another Springfield as well, just trying to save the money up and get another fine 1911.
    As for the collection, I wouldn't worry, I have quite a collection as well. Besides, they usually hold value better then anything else, and they are useful for so many things. Granted, they do cost a bit to feed, haha. Good luck on it.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    rlidgard;2634900[B said:
    ]how do u find the arisaka ammo[/B]. and just curious if the mark on to is scratched off

GunBroker used to have a seller by the name of Mr. Nambu. I bought several boxes of new manufactured 7.7x58 Jap Arisaka ammo from him. Not cheap, but seems to be quality ammunition.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    I bought both of my 1911s for around the cost of a new colt or kimber...and I've had people ask if myh hard chrome govt was a kimber. YMMV but paying for a name doesn't equate to quality or reliabilty, nor does generic name lend itself to "junk" as I was told before buying the govt model.

I agree, that's why RIA is such a good value. It is a basic pistol that you can build up as you can afford it.

eurobeaner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    I just shot my RIA Saturday as well. Only fed about 50 through it, but 0 issues and shot on target. I just wish there were cheaper 45 ammo. Lol

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    I have to slow down a little bit on the gun buying though for I am only 20 years old going on 21 in April, and already own a Mosin, Arisaka (chambered in .243), Mossberg 500, Marlin 981T (.22), and a Ruger LC9, working on a .45, and if you guys saw my other thread I am pursuing an AR as well, but I will be doing this kind of stuff for the rest of my life cuz like said above I am already addicted like none other
    False. You're addicted to it like 90% of INGO...that's why we're here. :)

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    If this is your first purchase, I would suggest that you find one of the new Ruger SR1911 handguns. They are hard to find because they are allocated and flying off-the shelf as fast as they appear. The price range will be around 635.00 to 735.00. Ruger makes good stuff and if you take care of it....it will last a lifetime. They are many others out there and they aren't necessarily bad but, it's hard to beat Ruger's value. You get lots of handgun for your money. Now, if you are planning on making a living by shoot fleas at 35 yards than there's better guns available at considerable more money.

Top Bottom