Switch from 9mm to .40 - your thoughts, please..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Okay, here's my situation..

The first handgun I ever bought myself was a Glock 17, in 9mm. At the time I was doing Search and Rescue with the local Sheriff's Department, and they required everyone that worked with them to be armed. They didn't have any rules on what you carried as long as you could put 6 rounds on target with whatever you had, but the actual deputies were issued Glocks in 9mm, so I figured that I would equip myself in the same fashion.

Shortly after picking up the 17, I got myself a 26, as a backup to the 17 and so I could carry something a little smaller if I needed to.

Fast forward to today, several years later and many miles west. I'm starting to venture into the same situation with my local Sheriff's office and they have one rule - you can carry whatever you want, as long as it's a Glock, and as long as it's a .40.

Here's where I'm torn..

How should I go about this?? I did some plinking with a Glock 35 and think that it would do nicely for the full-size sidearm they require. Problem is this, though - I can't afford to go buy a Glock on the drop of a hat, and I need to pick something up before I can really start training or working with these guys. On top of that, if I'm going to be carrying a .40 with them, I think it would be a wise decision to carry a .40 Glock for my personal carry handgun as well. This is where I'm starting to need help.

Right now, I've got a Glock 17 and a Glock 26.

I'm looking to get a Glock 35, and then possibly getting another smaller Glock (23? 27?) as a personal carry handgun.

What are your thoughts on this? Should I transition from 9mm to .40 for everything? Run the .40 when I'm "working", then switch back to my 9mm when I'm not?

Put yourself in my situation and tell me what you'd do..

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Maybe go .40 for the big gun, and 9mm for the tiny one?

If you can't afford the new gun without selling off your old ones, I'd go middle of the road and pick up the 23. IMHO, the 19 and 23 are darn near the perfect size for a personal gun. Big enough for duty use, and plenty small enough for comfortable concealed carry.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I didn't really say that part well, maybe..

For the duty sidearm, I'm pretty set on the 35 - I've shot them, like them, like the size/weight/feel, etc..

I've been toting the 17 for the past few months and could carry the 35 most of the time, but sometimes I'd like to conceal deeply and that's where having a smaller handgun appeals to me. I just don't know if, for those instances, a 9mm would be an acceptable compromise or if I should go .40 all the way...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm a big fan of KISS and commonality. If I could afford to buy two new guns, that's what I'd do.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd "run the .40 when working" then switch back...

I don't know how the whole Glock thing works, though... With a bbl, spring, and mag swap, can you essentially make a G17 into a G22?

I know that can move "down", but not sure you can move "up" in terms of caliber.

Of course, the only reason that you have to follow their .40 caliber Glock rules are due to their ammunition, firearms, and parts contracts.

Also helps a great deal on interchangeability. It'll probably never happen, but the possibility exists that someone else might need your extra mag/ammo/etc because they're in a firefight and you're dead. Or vice-versa.

-J-

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Shooter 521 - They require a .40 Glock. The 35 is my choice at this point.

Indyguy - You can load bits and pieces into a .40 glock to make it into a 9mm, but not the other way around..

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Unless you have problems switching back and forth between the two calibers, I would buy the 35 now, and use it on duty, and just keep the 9mms for off duty. Later, add another compact .40.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would go the other route and get a Glock 23 for duty AND carry now. Standardize on the .40, because that is what you need to use during the day anyway. Add a 35 if you chose to at a later time. This keeps ammo, mags, etc. all the same all day. This seems like the ideal solution for me. You can also sell the 17 to buy the 23 or 35 and get a $100 9mm barrel for the 23 if desired.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    So you guys think that if I can manage to keep things straight, just stick with 9mm for my own personal use??

Edit - Indyjoe, sneaking in under the wire.. you say get a 23 across the board, but those mags won't interchange to the 22 or 35.. unless I buy full-size mags for it, too.. which adds enough more to this..

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    You need one 23 mag, for in the gun. Then use 22 mags for reloads. That is what I would do if I carried a 19 or 23. No reason to give up a couple rounds after reloading.

sig-sweet

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My Department requires we carry a Glock 23 (40 cal) on duty. It's a tad smaller than the 22. The reason they purchased the 23 was it would conceal better for off duty and the CID’s. I picked up a Glock 27 (40 cal) for off duty/personal carry. The mags swap out so it is perfect for me. The County Sheriffs also carry the Glock in 40 Cal. Our Chief at the time said if we were ever in a firefight it would be possible for us to exchange mags with others if we/they ran out or were low on ammo. Don’t get me wrong here but……..how often do you think that would happen? Good luck on your choice.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No real right or wrong here. Personally I would trade the G17 for a G22 or G35. Get it set up the way you want it, night sights etc. I would then keep the "little glock" in 9mm. Sure the mags are not the same, but I actually prefer the the smaller cartridge in the smaller gun.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Just get the 23 and be done with it. Small enough to conceal, big enough for a service gun.

You could use a mag from anyone with a 23, 22 or 35.... simple :)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So you guys think that if I can manage to keep things straight, just stick with 9mm for my own personal use??

Edit - Indyjoe, sneaking in under the wire.. you say get a 23 across the board, but those mags won't interchange to the 22 or 35.. unless I buy full-size mags for it, too.. which adds enough more to this..

What's the point of laying down a 40 and picking up a 9mm? What advantage do you gain from that?

All I know is what I gain from this thread but this is the way I read the situation.

You bought a 9mm to satisfy a work requirement. Not because of any personal love for 9mm or to satisfy and specific requirement.

That requirement no longer exists.

Now what you want to achieve requires you to have a 40 SW. It's not negotiable.

It's, at best, not convenient to put out the cash for a new weapon right now.

It seems obvious to me. Sell the 9's and buy a 40. I'd suggest selling here and purchasing here and I bet you pretty much break even on the deal and have what you've got to have. I see absolutely zeron sense in laying down a 40 SW and picking up a 9mm of essentially the same size gun just so you can convince yourself you are getting some use out of something you already own.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, I guess the only reason to keep the 9mm AND get the .40 is to have more in the armory, so to speak..

You're right, though, Jack - I don't have a "need" for both.. any connection that I have to the 9mm is sentimental..

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    40 or 9

If You need to switch to fulfill dept standards then do it
    I think IF you cant afford to buy 2 new 40 s then go with the model 23
    You do know about the LEO discount at Steven Jenkins in Indy right ?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I'm aware of the discount, but I also have to have something to train with before I'm actually sworn..

Maybe I'll call Jenkins and explain the situation. I wonder if they'd be willing to talk with me if I could get a note from my unit commander on dept. letterhead or something.

Or, on the other hand, maybe I could "temp trade" my 9mm for a .40 for training, and then trade back when I'm sworn, THEN go buy something..

Top Bottom