• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I figure to start a thread for the best pistol ever built. you do not need reasons behind your example, this is just opinion. i think it would be interesting to hear from everybody. I would like to take you answers and make some sort of poll. maybe then we will be able to pick a winner. i personally will have to think on this one long and hard. hehe long and hard.
    autos, plastics, revovers, single shot, black powders, and whatever i forgot.
    pick your best and submit.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Glock 1911

glock_1911-tfb.jpg

Last edited:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Walther P38 maybe. Thats pretty much what all modern 1911 or Beretta style guns are based on isnt it? Hats off to the Germans once again.

Also, I think we can thank the Germans MG42, which we evolved into the m60, then the m240, etc.

EDIT: Sorry, it was the s&w 5906, not the 1911 (which, of course, was created before 1934!).
    I am not a 1911 owner, and truthfully I've never been much interested due to how bulky they are. But I've been doing some research, and John Browning designs are amazing. For the 1911 to be pretty much the first automatic pistol, and still be a leading handgun design a full one hundred years later blows my mind!

Last edited:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    The Greatest Handgun of All Time is the functional, loaded one that's in your hand when you need it.

Otherwise, the Colt 1911 is first followed closely by the Glock 17 and the Colt Single Action Army.

You may close your thread now as the issue has been decided. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have to agree with Indy_Guy_77....This is a hard one. I know what "My" favorites are but best all time over the top hand gun (not the gun in hand armedindy, I get it hehehe)
    My pick would be the 1911 design for its long life and changes to meet the times. I have recently shot the Gov. issue Colt my uncle gave me that he carried in Korea and Viet Nam.
    It still runs great and is as accurate as the shooter. It is a little clunky as I always remember it being. I picked up my Colt stainless series 80 mark 4 and it is a world apart from the old Gov. issue but still a 1911. Just to get a feel of how they have evolved i pulled the Springer Trophy match out and ran it hard. Like touching private parts with a mink glove. That design just keeps on evolving and for the better. This of course is JMHO

richardraw316

Master
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I have to agree with Indy_Guy_77....This is a hard one. I know what "My" favorites are but best all time over the top hand gun (not the gun in hand armedindy, I get it hehehe)
    My pick would be the 1911 design for its long life and changes to meet the times. I have recently shot the Gov. issue Colt my uncle gave me that he carried in Korea and Viet Nam.
    It still runs great and is as accurate as the shooter. It is a little clunky as I always remember it being. I picked up my Colt stainless series 80 mark 4 and it is a world apart from the old Gov. issue but still a 1911. Just to get a feel of how they have evolved i pulled the Springer Trophy match out and ran it hard. Like touching private parts with a mink glove. That design just keeps on evolving and for the better. This of course is JMHO
    private parts with a mink gun, i just dont know what to say to that.
    this is very difficult, alot of gun makers have made some very interesting weapons over the years, even a fully automatic revover. dont ask me what its for? i did not build it. maybe a colt saa. definently made a difference, 1911 pretty big deal too. any thing german. they have to be mentioned, if not, they will invade. i will have to take the easy way for now and say any revover. it was just miles ahead of anything before it.
    more thoughts to follow............. stay tuned.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    The Luger . . . . . . It proved that semi auto handguns could be reliable, accurate, and fast to load. I would say the Mauser C96 but it wasnt as easy to load as a luger in a era of what I call 1st generation semi autos. That was the greatest contribution to combat handguns as a beginning. 2nd place would be the 1911. I want a Luger so bad.

Top Bottom