• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    Like all couples who have been together for any amount of time, my wife and I have gone through quite a bit, and the last 2.5 years have been damned rough, but we've weathered the storm and now we owe ourselves a little something. Now, Don't cry for me Indiana, I know all human-beings go through rough times, and life can be hard, and blah blah blah, but these were our hard times, and they were harder than most, and damnit, we deserve a break.

So anyway, let's get down to brass tacks: I want some kind of matching, semi-customized 1911s. We have looked around at a couple of things, but just can't decide. A pair of Volts with a visit to the custom shop just doesn't appeal to us. Too many quality issues, and we just don't want Colt. Sue me and cry "blasphemer," I don't trust Colt after the stupid Labor-related quality issues they have had (that's labor with a capital 'L', because I just can't keep my foot out of my mouth). Springfield custom has nice options, but we are thinking bigger. The wife loves the Kimber Royal II, and while I am a Kimber man, I think Les Baer is the way to go.

Let's not get started with the 'more money than brains' nonsense, and I don't want to hear all of the silly "a $2500 gun won't do anything a $500 GI re-issue won't do," because no one with 1911-sense would respond that way. I have 2 Kimber Series Is with a third on layaway (damn late bonus), a stainless Springfield GI, an early military Colt customized for Camp Perry in the 1960s, and an old customized Behlert full-house en route by mail. I know a little about what 1911s will do, and I know even more about what I want, so please don't lobby for Para, or Taurus, or Springfield, or much else. I am thinking the Les Baer, but I am not fully convinced.

Any thoughts from anyone else out there who understands my dilemma? The Baers I have held had to be smacked damn hard to break the battery and rack a round, and no guarantee of reliability until after after 500 rounds (I love that). Wilsons and Browns have never had that feeling of immediate distinction that Baers have had, although the Kobra Karry with the bobtail is right there in second place. I know they both build incredible pistols, second to none, but from my experience, and even reading in the gun rags, Les Baers really are the tightest pistols out there. Any words for Nighthawk?

We will sometimes be carrying, often be shooting, we want the serial numbers to be our initials and anniversary, grips to come from wicked (hers, turquoise burl), and Vu Kim Son (mine, bone or water buffalo horn). Both with high polish blued finish.

Let me know what you think INGO.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    I recently picked up my first semi-custom 1911, a Nighthawk Predator II. The shop also carries Ed Brown and Wilson. All 3 brands are fine examples of 1911s. I chose the Nighthawk because I liked the way it felt the best. It really comes down to personal preference.

Mark

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I've read several times that Les Baer won't fix any defects as his guns are perfect when tgey leave.

I would order a wilson. Great customer service.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have Wilson, Baer, and Nighthawk.
    A) All three brands are very nice, great guns.
    B) The Baer is the "tightest" of the three.
    C) More often than not, I'm carrying my Wilson, as they are the "smoothest" of the three.
    D) Search the web, Wilson appears to have the best customer service, before AND after your buying experience.
    I rate my choices as Wilson first, then Baer, then Nighthawk.
    I recently called Nighthawk to order a FLGR for my Talon and was less than impressed with the guy on the other end of the phone. I felt like I was talking to a teenager, as he had to ask someone else in the shop for the answers to most of my questions, yet he was the one the front desk sent me to.
    I do know that Wilson will build you a gun exactly how you want it and they have a ton of models to choose from. Whenever I have called to ask about a build or a question, I have always spoke with someone who is very knowledgeable and professional.
    Baer is somewhat finicky, but not horrible, about what they will do to their guns.

This is my opinion and nothing more. You will get different answers from different people, but hopefully this will help you make a somewhat informed decision. Congratulations on your good fortune and best of luck on your quest, as this is part of the enjoyment. Keep us posted.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    If I were in your shoes, I would try to find an up and coming custom 1911 company that is on par with big names now. I think you would get a better ability to totally cusotmize and still stay high end. Please post pics for all of us lowly production model guys.:D

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Any of the semi-custom makers you listed have great guns. It will probably just come down to personal preference over feel, parts, finish etc. Elmores in Indy has a few Browns and a Nighthawk right now and Indiana Gun Club if you can get them to actually help you has a nice selection of higher end 1911's. One brand you may consider that can save you a little money and are right up there in quality are the Dan Wesson Valor's in black finish or stainless steel, very nice pistols.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, I think it depends on what is most important to you and your wife. Les Baer is known for "hard fitting" his pistols to the point that they MAY not function reliably until after a rather lengthy break in period. If this "tightness" floats your boat, then by all means get the Baers. His pistols are NOT known for having the best "fit and finish" (referring to cosmetics of the way everything matches at join lines, quality of polish, etc) nor is customer service considered his particular forte. None of this matters if what you have your heart set on is a Baer. They are less expensive, in general, than Wilson and Brown, and to many are considered the best value in semi-custom pistols for that reason. Wilson probably has the best "fit and finish" (although I handled a Brown Executive that was just gorgeous), and would most likely provide you the best range of customization choices for finishes, custom machining, etc. Their customer service is superb and if you order directly from them (or have a Master Dealer place an order, rather than purchasing out of stock) you can ask for a "hard fit", if you wish, but then you have the long break in again. Stylistically, I think Brown makes the most beautiful pistols of the three, if you are picking between stock designs - but that is a matter of personal preference, of course. Brown is also known for popularizing the "bobtail", and for supplying components to many of the custom pistolsmiths that build 1911s. I'm not sure you can make a persuasive argument that any one of them is "better" to all people, because people are drawn to different nuances. And there are others to consider as well. Like you said, Nighthawk, which was started by some smiths that left Wilson, and I'm intrigued by Guncrafter Industries, also in Arkansas, whose niche is the .50 cartridge 1911 model. So, it sounds like the Baer calls to you the most of what you've looked at; my opinion is that you would be making a fine choice.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . I want some kind of matching, semi-customized 1911s. . .
    For our 5th wedding anniversary I had these made as a gift for my wife. Serial numbers 001 and 002. Beryllium-copper alloy frames. Blackened stainless slide and small parts. Presentation grade grips. Lightly engraved (in Slovak). Coned/bushingless (Detonic type) target barrels. Velvet lined cherry presentation cases.

P1080349.jpg

P1080347.jpg

Brownie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Fayette county
    You might try a fella named Ted Bostic out of liberty Indiana.I have seen a couple of his 1911s. Very nice full custom firearms. P.M. me if you would like his #

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    This is all extremely helpful and supportive advice. All too often, muck-slingers denegrate one's desire to treat one's self, and while I din't care about silly nay-sayers, I didn't feel like sifting through crap for quality.

I have heard Wilson for carry, Baer for target. Bob, your additions to the Safaris were nice. I am really not totally averse to maxing out a Springfield at their shop, just kind of floating still, and Baers really are the best price among the "Big 3." As I stated before, the Brown bobtails really turn me in--I am bobtailing one if my Kimbers shortly.

Anyway, this is my favorite topic.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Indiana's own Neil Keller at Kustom Ballistics might be worth a call as well. His aesthetics don't always match up with my ideals, but he's known to build a hell of a gun.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have on order a Guncrafter Industries Model #1 .50 cal. and ordered it with:
    Naked slide w/ ball radius cut
    Magwell chute
    Serrated top of slide
    Gold bead front site w/Wilson speed site on rear
    Trigger at 3.5 lb.
    Flush cut and crowned barrel
    Flush cut and recessed slide stop
    Single side safety
    USMC logo etched on ejection side
    Doug Turnbull charcoal blueing

I have heard nothing but great things about this company, but cannot recommend it as I've never shot/handled one. However, I did sleep at a Holiday Inn one night, woke up and ordered it the next day ;). Seriously though, from what I've read and researched, this will be worth the time and wait. I'll post pics and a report when it arrives.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Excellent thoughts above by owners of some of the best 1911's made. As a Baer owner for many years I would agree with the points made. I have carried my Baer (Comanche/Commander) as a primary sidearm and EDC for many years, it has never let me down in terms of reliability and is predictably far more intrinsically accurate than I will ever be.

I would agree that the Wilson's and Brown's I have shot get the nod for cosmetic fit and finish, and definately have a "softer" feel. Not necessarily better, but different. Somewhat like a well tuned street performance car, vs. a harder race setup feel in the Baer. I have personally had Zero problems over thousands of rounds, only spring changes. Then one "flaw" I have had is mine HATES CMC 10 rounders, other than this it is stone ax reliable with any magazine and a wide range of reloads, defensive, and factory ammo.

In the end it comes down to your tastes, I would not sell my Baer for far more than it is worth because of our "history" but I would never feel poorly equipped with a Wilson, EB or NH. Agree also that looking at a full house custom or some of the other Semi-customs may be worthwhile. Springer PRO, Guncrafter,..etc. Enjoy the process of finding your new pistols, sounds like you earned them!

Top Bottom