Why don't people like a thumb safety on a pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've never really understood why people don't like having a thumb safety on a pistol, especially when it comes to conceiled carry.

I know some will say it's just one more mechanical device that can fail, but safeties been working fine on 1911's, M9's, M16's, and AK's for years. I don't see why a person wouldn't want the added protection against a mistaken discharge that a thumb safety allows.

I understand that a good holster should keep the trigger from getting snagged on anything, but only protects while it's in the holster. It's just seems to me like a thumb safety is so easy to disengage that it's almost rediculous not to have one.

It's just something that I get hung up on every time I start thinking about a G19, XD9, or whatever else. Personally I just don't get why it's not a more common feature on carry pistols.

Any thoughts?

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    It has to do mostly with what was the gun designed and meant for. The examples you gave, Glock and XD, were designed to be service pistols that are to be drawn and shot with out the hinderance of the thumb safety.

After that it is a personal preference and what the user is comfortable with. Some people (mostly starting out) prefer the peace of mind that an external safety can give them and it enables them to carry more often with out worry. Others prefer to not have to think about a safety and are secure and confident in what they carry.

It comes down to training with what you have to build confidence in your equipment. If you have a safety, train on your draw stroke to disengage that safety. If you don't have one concentrate more on keeping your finger off the trigger till your sights are on target and you are ready to shoot.

All of the above is just my opinion of course.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    my Glock 19 has three safeties already... plus rides in a holster that covers.

Why would I need another?

Revolvers didn't have thumb safeties.

Funny thing is, I know 1911 owners who don't trust carrying "clock n locked" with the thumb safety on. They feel the hammer has to be down.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    One less act to do when drawing. And besides, a lack of safeties have been fine for a lot more years with revolvers so why do we need them on handguns now?

To each their own. My safety is between my ears.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I love my 1911 thumb safety and carry cocked n locked. If I carry one of my Sigs I don't use a safety since they are double action pistols. I feel comfortable with both. :twocents:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ever go to the range, go to shoot the weapon, and forget the safety? Imagine that happening with Bad Guy barreling down on you.

Also, safeties can lead to complacency. Anybody heard, "oh, don't worry. The safety's on."?
    Although, people can be complacent without them also.

It boils down to preference. Same reason why there's so much variety on the market. Not everyone wants the same thing.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    While I'm not a fan of having a safety, I will engage my safety if I need remove my firearm from the holster.

I also have my safety engaged while holstering and slip it off after it is in my holster.

I'm no fanboy of Glocks because of that "Awesome" safe action trigger design. After all how many times has that Sheriff down in Florida shot himself, 2, 3 times?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Ever go to the range, go to shoot the weapon, and forget the safety? Imagine that happening with Bad Guy barreling down on you.

you know what's funny though, I'm a Glock guy and then some, but I did shoot several single stack matches last year. No one single time did I forget to drop the safety. Never even thought about it, just happened.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Good trigger discipline is all I need for a gun to be safe.
    It doesn't matter what type of gun it is, if it has a thumb safety or not, my ultimate safety will always be to keep my finger off the trigger until im ready to shoot.
    So for me a thumb safety is not needed, and since it's not needed I dont want it on my gun.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I don't see why a person wouldn't want the added protection against a mistaken discharge that a thumb safety allows.

Some of us don't see how it would add any protection against a mistaken discharge. :dunno:

If a firearm was designed to require one, it should have one.

For other designs, adding a manual safety switch option strikes me as nothing more than a psychological comfort feature. Some would like it, but I'll pass.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I moved from a G26 to a Taurus 24/7 in part because I wanted the thumb safety. I was concerned that returning the G26 to a leather IWB holster could result in a negligent discharge if the holster was old and folded in on the trigger. It actually happened in a case that was posted on INGO. The man returned his G26 to his holster and shot himself in the hip. Since I know that IWB holsters do fold in, especially with age, I decided an external thumb safety was a good idea.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Some people were trained from when they began shooting to be able to perform this task as they draw, others were not. Some can acquire this skill later, others cannot. It is not a put down on people. Some simply don't feel confident in their ability to accomplish this under pressure. I certainly understand and believe those people should keep things as absolutely simple as they can. Do what you're comfortable with.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, I guess I'm the only idiot.
    Maybe it was the way I was raised.
    Never trust the safety.
    Always use your 4 rules.

I was at the range with the boy scouts shooting 22s. One of the Moms comes up, somethings wrong with her new single shot. Couldn't figure it out. Didn't want to mess up a brand new rifle. Told her to take it to her husband who was running the shotgun side.
    She came back grinnin. Said it was the safety was on. Why didn't I figure that out? Told her that in over 30 years of weapons, I'd only used a safety when I was a kid, and a supervisor type said I had to.

So, never really had to deal with them.
    If your gun goes off on its own, you have other problems to deal with.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Funny thing is, I know 1911 owners who don't trust carrying "clock n locked" with the thumb safety on. They feel the hammer has to be down.

This is less safe than cocked and locked. If you own a 1911 and carry this way, sell it and buy a DA pistol that was meant for it. Never question the genius of JMB, he knew what he was doing. I have forgotten the safety on long guns, forgot to pump a pump shotgun, but I have never missed the safety on a 1911.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't even think about it...........when my 1911 goes toward the target the safety comes off. Don't see what the big deal is, it's whatever you get used to/train.

I have forgotten to take off the safety on a shotgun before, a brand new OU with auto safety (yeah I converted it after that).

Top Bottom