• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    I rigth now have a RIA 1911 Mil-Spec, I am thinking about getting rid of it and going for an M9, ( I know it is the berretta 92, M9 is the military designation) Use is for EDC, size is not an issue to me since I tend to OC. I am trying to keep the price to an even trade ( I value my 1911 around 400 dollars) I would like any opinion or thoughts on this from people much wiser than me. Thanks

:patriot:

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Personal preference is important, that being said, what are your reasons?

Is 9mm what you want?

Grip size?

Capacity?

If you looking to trade, post up in the classifieds with pics, etc

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    As far as platforms, I prefer the 1911 over the Beretta. The whole 9mm vs 45 is a moot point to me, as I am comfortable with either one. The transistion from double to single always interfered with my ability to put shots accurately down range. I prefer the Springfield XD, Glock, revolvers or 1911 for that reason.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    Stschill: the reason I am thinking or changing out is matter of cost, but that is not the end all. Which platform in general is more reliable? Please hold off on the which ever one is taken care of answers. Which has more points for critical failure. I have never worked on a M9 or messed with it other than out of the range. Which is a better design, I hear about how inherently accurate the M9 design is,but I don;t know the truth in that statement.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Stschill: the reason I am thinking or changing out is matter of cost, but that is not the end all. Which platform in general is more reliable? Please hold off on the which ever one is taken care of answers. Which has more points for critical failure. I have never worked on a M9 or messed with it other than out of the range. Which is a better design, I hear about how inherently accurate the M9 design is,but I don;t know the truth in that statement.

The reason I stayed away from the 92fs/M9 is because of random locking block failure. I've had friends break locking blocks at 5k rounds, 30k rounds, and other haven't sheared the locking block. Beretta says the locking block ($70) is a "consumable"! I may not shoot as much as my friends, but I don't want to have to pay $70+ to get a new locking block.

Of course I could just be too cautious, but I don't want a locking block breaking in that one in a million chance I need it to protect myself. Also, if both ears on that block shear at the same time, you get to send your gun to Beretta so they can cut your barrel off to salvage your firearm.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I have my M9 for the sole [STRIKE]fact[/STRIKE] belief that 9mm ammo is more common than .45.

At least that is what I believe, someone may argue that statement.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    No one model is better than the other. They both work and work well. You're not going to experience enough failures out of either gun on a regular basis enough to consider it not reliable for EDC. Anything you want to carry for personal protection you want to be very comfortable and efficient with. That requires practice and lots of it. The 92 is considerably cheaper in ammo which means you can practice a lot more with it. Weapon damage/mishaps are due to a number of factors which are generally not accounted for in individual experiences. For example, I bought an upper from a shooter who shoots quite a bit. I know he put his upper through some training ranges/courses. He seemed like an incredibly credible guy with firearms, but when I got it home I had noticed that he doesn't seem to know much about properly cleaning one. As small as this sounds it can have a dramatic effect on a weapon's performance and reliability. In other words, don't take advice on "this is better than that" in terms of reliability because their opinions are prone to their individual experience and that is relative to how they operate/take care of the weapon and not necessarily the overall quality of the weapon. I carry a 92 for EDC. I have put THOUSANDS of rounds down the weapon both in the military and my personal ones. I have never had enough malfunctions out of any of them to consider it less or more than any other gun. I love 1911's as well. Thanks to the military I have a lot more time behind the 92, but I have owned a number of 1911's personally and the same applies to them. Not enough mishaps to make me question it. My best friend carries a 1911 for EDC just out of preference and he also has considerably rounds through the 92. For two extraordinarily reliable guns, you don't need to worry about quality so much as whether or not it has been taken care of. Concern yourself with quality when you pick something like a Hi-point or something which is otherwise NOT used by thousands of militaries/police around the world.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It all comes down to personal preference, of course, but I am one person who has never been impressed with the 1911 (or any of its clones or wannabe's) in any way. I've held them. I've shot them. I've cleaned them. And (at the risk of making a bad pun) they do not trip my trigger. I'd rather have my commercial M9 any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They're both great handguns, my 92FS went away for another 1911. Beretta is a fun gun don't get me wrong but it's a big gun for 9mm and I personally like the 1911 better. If you like the way it feels and want to shoot a bit cheaper fo with the 92fs or vice versa.

Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    My opinion? Get both! They are both phenomenal guns! I have a SA GI 1911 and a Beretta 96FS (I know it's a .40, but I plan on getting a 9mm barrel). I wouldn't ever get rid of either! :D

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Ive got both currently, and hands down the "fit" is better on my beretta than on my 1911.

The beretta is the smoothest gun that Ive ever operated...easily...no contest....chunky and comfy grips, 11 rounds(shes a 40), and stunning good looks.

My COLT 1911 is valued at double(or more) than the beretta and I wouldnt get rid of it for anything...the slide is loose, the grips shift, and shes got some holster wear...but she goes bang every time, fits in my hand better than my ....well...., and looks like Jennifer Aniston (better with age...but good no matter what).

The 9mm is cheaper to shoot...and shot placement is the stopper....

If you can afford to shoot more...youll be more accurate.

But BE WARNED!!!!...Youll never have the parts availabilty, holster availabilty, or comradeship with the beretta as you will with the 1911.

You'll always question that little, fast 9mm and NEVER doubt that big slow .45 bullet.

Youre gonna have to make your own decision...but if you get rid of the 1911...youll want another one(BAD)...the beretta...maybe some day...but not as much.

I love both of mine and would never imagine not owning one of each...but.

My $.02
    Trade the Rock in on a Springfield plus some cash, then save your pennies or sell some stuff to get the beretta.

God bless
    -Shred

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    A vote to save for both!

Both are great guns, but I feel a 1911 is a must in the gun collection, and the RIA is great budget 1911. But as is always stated, its personal preference when dealing with a choice between two good guns. I like 8+1 of 45, but I also 17 rds of 9mm. I personally love hi-cap 9mm mags, may lessen the need for an extra magazine for EDC. But one point I will make is, I have smaller hands, and the 92/M9 is one gun that is too big for my hands. The single stack 1911 fits like a glove!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The reason I stayed away from the 92fs/M9 is because of random locking block failure. I've had friends break locking blocks at 5k rounds, 30k rounds, and other haven't sheared the locking block. Beretta says the locking block ($70) is a "consumable"! I may not shoot as much as my friends, but I don't want to have to pay $70+ to get a new locking block.

Of course I could just be too cautious, but I don't want a locking block breaking in that one in a million chance I need it to protect myself. Also, if both ears on that block shear at the same time, you get to send your gun to Beretta so they can cut your barrel off to salvage your firearm.

I don't know where you buy your lock block for the Beretta, but directly from the factory, a locking block kit (3rd gen block, pin, block spring and new recoil spring) is $36. Deprecated Browser Error Buy two or more and the cost drops to $31, or less than half of where you get your price from. :)

As for any locking block issue, like anything else, you check your firearms either after each time you take them out, so that you know they are ok to go shooting with the next time you go out without checking, or do the check before firing. Either way, catching any locking block issue is preventative maintenance. Anything that is mechanical and made by human beings can fail, that is why proper inspections are required of anything.

Any firearm requires maintenance, but the differences between the 92FS/M9 and the 1911 comes down to personal preference.

slyton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Albany
    Hey Thanks everyone for the input. I still feel up in the air about it. But I think I will just stick with the 1911 for the moment. I just ordered up a set of 45 dies so if I reload I should at least get my 45acp reload to factory new 9mm prices. I have always like the feel of the 1911, but that low capacity always make me question. ( I really shouldn't since my other carry is a Security 6) I do agree M9 does have a great look. I have not held a SA to compare to a RIA, anyone want to give me the chance :D

Top Bottom