• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ltgummy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    1) I'm interested in trying to pick a .22 lr handgun. I currently own a Glock 17 Gen 4 (w/ new RSA) and wanted to get something that I could shoot cheaply that has an option to be suppressed (out of respect for the neighbors). I have been doing some research and keep hearing the Walther P-22, Sig Sauer Mosquito, Browning Buck Mark and Ruger 22/45 & Mk II/III come up. Given that I have a 9mm for SD, my focus was getting something that mounted the suppressor easily (i.e. do not need to deal with getting barrels threaded or shipped), was affordable, and that had decent reliability. From my novice perspective it would seem that the P-22 and Mosquito would fit my requirements a bit better since they tend to be a bit cheaper than the Rugers and Browning and I would need to just purchase the suppressor and thread adapter (someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong). The trade-off being in accuracy & sound w/ P-22 and reliability w/ Mosquito. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations that people might have especially concerning what fair price would be for one at show or shop (if there's a difference).

2) Which suppressor offers the best performance on the P-22 and Mosquito? My main requirements be that I can disassemble it for cleaning and that it not break the bank. I have heard good things about Tac65 but really do not know enough to have an opinion. Also, I was wondering about thread adapters. Any suggestions concerning these items and what I should expect to pay.

Sorry, for the long post but I appreciate any information the forum can provide. Thanks again and Good shooting!

aijk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 21, 2010
    Eminence
    I don't have a suppressor yet but the gsg 1911 is a nice gun and is threaded. I think you can get one for about $325.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think you ought to add the GSG1911-22 to your list. It comes threaded and I use one as a host for a Huntertown Arms Guardian. Works really well. The Guardian is user serviceable, and costs under $200. Less than than government tribute tax. Thread adapters if needed run $20-$40. I've heard of problems with the P-22 and the Mosquito, but I've also heard people really happy with them (and some people have has trouble with the GSG1911 I hear, but my has been near perfect) The Rugers and the Buckmark are both good to go, of course, if maybe not as much fun as my GSG!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've owned 2 P22s that worked great once broken in. My friend owned a Sig and it rarely made it through an entire magazine without jamming. Never owned a GSG 1911 but I want one as soon as I get some $$ in the gun fund.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've got a mosquito with a threaded barrel. It's 100% reliable when you use cci mini Mag. I've put roughly 1500 rounds of cci through it with no problem. Lately, i have been using bulk federal every so often. I have a round or two either fail to eject, or fail to chamber every 2nd or 3rd magazine. I like the gun because it feels very similar to my other Sigs. It is accurate as well. I hope to buy a suppressor for it some day.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I have a P22, MkIII, GSG 1911. The P22 is really ammo picky in my experience, not exactly comfortable for my big hands, the 3.4 inch barreled model is not very accurate for me, and my front sights fall off (lol I keep a baggy of them) It hasnt fallen off lately but its because its glued in lol. My Ruger Mk III is just the standard 4 inch model and it can be had for every bit as much money as a P22. Its more accurate and comfortable to shoot and hasnt given me a lip of unreliability as of yet. They are a pain to clean though and with the standard there isnt a threaded barrel. My GSG 1911 is just plain awesome feels like its bigger caliber brother and it is threaded. Its reliable the sights are good the trigger is good and its priced right. If your a Glock guy I believe ISSC makes a 22 thats close to the shape as a Glock even though its a hammer fired gun. Theres also the new Ruger SR22, The Beretta U22 neos and on and on but if you want premium get a Colt Diamondback cause Diamonds are forever. I dont own one yet but its in my future so my my Python isnt so lonely. I plan on getting alot of 22s cause there so fun to shoot.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    You might consider a .22 conversion for your Glock. You can use your real grip and trigger, and you can put actual Glock sights on it if you want. It only takes a few seconds to switch slides and start shooting .22. I have one by Advantage Arms for my G19 and it's been excellent.

sigvicious

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Columbus
    I love my Mosquito. Like Yeti said. CCI is the only round to use. Just an absolute blast to take to the range. Hours of fun for little expense. I reccomend the Sig.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I HAVE A RUGER MARK II TARGET, IT WILL EAT ANY THING AND IS WELL BALANCED. IF LOOKING AT NEW I WOULD GET THE RUGER 22/45 IN THE 5.5". HAVE SHOT ONE AND BELIEVE YOU CAN GET IT WITH THREADED BARREL.GOOD LUCK SO MANY CHOICES.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    If you are wanting it for training, as a substitute for your EDC, then I would second the .22 conversion for your Glock. But if you are wanting just a second gun (and who doesn't, right?) I will throw the Ruger SR22 Pistol into the mix as well.

I got one a couple of weeks ago and it has ate everything I have fed it. Which is about 7-8 different types of ammo, even the sub-sonic ammo I put through it cycled it just fine.

I haven't been able to find a replacement barrel for it yet, as I would like to have it as a suppresor host. But Ruger says that it is coming, we'll see how long that takes.

Casey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I have a Sig Mosquito and I love it.

I read a bunch of bad things about it but it seemed to be people who didn't read the manual. Oil it in the right place and you've got a very reliable gun. I use the Remington Golden Bullets they are dirty but it seems to run better dirty. I don't know why people always use CCI but I've never needed to. I usually run through an entire 550 Bulk pack at the range and I can't remember the last time I had a problem.

And they can be found for about 300 so it's priced right too.

Top Bottom