Rock island tactical or used Taurus 1911?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Son is wanting a 1911 and has around $500 to spend. Which would you buy---a new RIA tactical or a gently used Taurus 1911 with 3 mags . He isn't fond of used guns,but I'm thinking a Taurus has a lot of nice features that outweigh the "new" factor of a RIA. What you say? Thanks for any input........

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i bought a PT1911 as my first 1911. I really liked the feel and it was accurate. But the safety was flimsy and the gun did not like most of the JHPs I tried to feed it.

The RIA Tactical I had ate everything. I would personally go with the RIA because of their better reputation concerning customer service.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    RIA is an OK gun. Have considered one myself but in the double stack hi-cap. I have owned a few Taurus and they were just fine for what they were. I would consider the Taurus or just save up a few hundred more and get a Springer 1911 A-1. I found a used one for $550.00 not long ago and did not act on it. Missed the deal. They are out there. Just look over real good and nothing wrong with used.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I would go with the RIA over the Taurus. I have a couple of Tauruses but they are nothing great... They go bang when you pull the trigger...

I would look for a used Kimber or Colt or something in the classifieds and pay a couple bucks more..

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    The PT1911 was the pickiest of my 1911s by far. I had a Springfield GI-series model in all stainless (yes, I get the fact that stainless was hardly spec) that was about the same money 2-3 years ago that was much more reliable.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I have a RIA in 9mm, it has been a great gun. It shoot's federal 100 rd packs from wal-mart very well. I never have any problems with it and I take it with me every time I go out. It's very accurate and dependable. I would buy another, for the money I would say their worth it.

KillStick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Anderson
    Rock Island hands down, but if he isn't in the need to buy quickly just have him save a few pennies and get a springer. Getting 1911's used can be a tricky business. 1911's are one of the most customize hand guns out there, that being said every joe smoe tinkers with their 1911 at some point, if you don't know what to look for, buying a used 1911 can be a dud. You don't want to be stuck with a bubba gun smith job that leaves you with a worthless firearm.

james.bryant88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    I bought a RIA 1911 it was a great buy, very dependable for the money I spent. I made a few adjustments, I would recommend deburring it if you get a new one or at least polishing all of the metal on metal contact points. After I dd this on my it has been flawless, haven't had a single jam or malfunction yet. So my vote is RIA.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Hands on experience says for the money and best long term investment, go RIA 1911.

I have absolutely NOTHING against the Taurus 1911's... they're just overall good quality.

RIA made about the finest attempt out there to make an affordable 1911 with the quality to back it up.

And IF you can keep your $ lowkey in your pocket; Yes, on occasion, you will definitely find those used Kimber's and Springfield's at killer prices.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    RIA over the Taurus.

For an extra $100 ($599) you can get a new Ruger SR1911 in SS; if you can locate one. Mine will feed everything, including the old Speer Lawman "Flying Ashtray" HP and H&G 200gr. SWC.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I enjoy my metro arms 1911's. I have the commander and a government. Fit and finish was better than the RIA's I looked at. Not sure where you live, but I plan on going to roush today with both and my 1022 with my father in law.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have never shot an RIA, but I do have a Taurus 1911 and a much more expensive S&W 1911. My ambidexterous safety on the Taurus has yet to fall off like has been often complained about and I have never had any trouble with it feeding as long as I use factory mags. It does not like to eat from even the best Chip McCormicks or other inexpensive magazines. The Taurus is definitely not the equivalent of a $2200 custom 1911 as originally advertised, but I have found it to be very reliable once you detemine what yours likes to be fed and from what.

Top Bottom