• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldschoolevo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 23, 2012
    ANDERSON
    i have a glock 27 and 30 and i love them. im looking to buy a colt 1911 or kimber, would like your info on both, i have short fat hands my 2 glocks are ferfect fit, so what colt would be best and same with kimber ?????:dunno::dunno:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I'd make the choice based on what you want it for.

That said, after you have a couple glocks, they tend to get boring. I'd shy away from a 1911 unless you are very well versed in trouble shooting and have the tooling to do all of it. You can get one to run 100% the rest of your life, and many more lifetimes, but it isn't always an easy process.

What I'd suggest to you is a Sig P220. I think you'd be beyond exceptionally happy with it, and you'll have a trouble free gun that will run even better than a glock through even worse conditions. You'll also have the same "prestige" and "fun-to-showoff" factor as you would with a 1911.

You can get some very very "custom" like Sigs for much more reasonable prices than a decent 1911 as well. This is a fairly affordable example:
    Sig220Equinox2.jpg

Here's my P226 for no other purpose than showing off some upper end sigs.

xyPaD.jpg

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I would go with a Kimber personally, as I have heard from many people that Colt's quality has gone downhill. If it was only a very few people, I would just have dismissed it, but its come from many of the shooters that I know. I have 2 Kimbers myself, and both run great, just as reliable as my 2 Glocks (22,23). Just my 2 cents. good luck on choosing.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    If you can afford it, go for it. I own both, prefer Kimber. I don't think the Colts are inferior in any way, just my personal preference.

Big difference in grip going from compact, double-stack polymer Glocks to single stack, steel/alloy frame 1911s. You may change your mind once you have one in hand.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a Kimber and Im really happy with it. In fact Im carrying it right now.

As some have stated already go with what feels best for you and is better for your budget.

If I was gonna buy another one (and I will before too long im sure) I think I would go for a Springfield MC Operator or a Dan Wesson.

fyrefyter101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    south of fortwayne
    Hmmm, Grab it, Hold it, Love it..... or not, Find what fits you and fills the need. Go hold them. You will know what fits you, once its in your hand, but be comfortable and relaxed make several trips and try them all again it will speak to you and then you will know that is the one. With all the options on grips, if it fits close ask about grip variations and see if it helps or hinders your choice.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    For $599 you can get a new Ruger SR1911 in SS; if you can locate one.

Mine will feed everything I've tried, including the old Speer Lawman "Flying Ashtray" HP and H&G 200gr. SWC; using Ruger, Para, Wilson, McCormick, and Gov't issue magazines. I've carried a 1911 from many makers for decades and now use the SR1911 as my carry piece of choice. The SR1911 has a titanium firing pin and no firing pin safety (as in Colt series 70 and older). That is a feature that I personally prefer in any 1911.

The 1911 grip is usually a better fit for smaller hands than the Glock (i.e. G21, etc...). Glock's single stack .45 might be an exception.

Kimbers and Colts are good, too. Many earlier Colt pistols are not throated for hollow points, current production that I've seen is.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom