• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Yeah, those sight tools are really cool, but also kinda pricey for something you won't use much.
    Brownells sells a nylon punch for drifting out sights ($5 plus shipping).
    Here's a better way:
    I cut a 2" piece of 3/8" diameter oak dowel and use that as my punch. Works like a charm, and it won't scratch your finish.
    You really can do precision adjustments with it.
    Not as easy as a specialized sight adjusting tool, but it's about $150 cheaper.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Go to Hand Gun Sight tool - Home - El Cajon, CA... nifty tool for $60. And you won't risk screwing up your night sights when putting them in. As I mentioned in another thread - I have no connection to the company - just bought the tool to install night sites on a couple of Kahrs. Works like a champ and should be universal to most any slide.

Or PM me if you want to try it out and can make it down south...

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    This isn't as pretty as some out there and it has that home made look to it, but that's just because I made it at home. It was made specifically for 1911 sights but I recently put night sights on my wifes G19 with it. The hammer and punch method is discouraged when installing night sights. Kimber rear sights are said to be among the worst, the slide here is a Kimber that I removed the rear sight from to get at the FPB. The dial gauge is much faster for aligning the sight than the trial and error hammer and punch method too.
    IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

Also, if your gun is shooting right or left and you know the sight radius, distance to target, and difference between POA & POI, you can calculate how far a sight needs to be moved to correct it.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    @ David:
    Wow, that is ingenious! Good job! :yesway:
    How did you create the part that holds the slide in place?

A piece of scrap steel, and one of these.
    IMG_0628.jpg

I left that piece out when I changed the Glock sights, I just clamped the slide to the jig using another block of wood as a pad.

It's nice to have a mill, but you could make a jig similar to this with basic hand tools.

Last edited:

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Thats a nice setup. Where are you located?

Not in Indiana, I stumbled onto INGO via a google search one day and just hung around. I'd be happy to let you use it but it probably wouldn't be worth the drive.

Top Bottom