• ...and so much more!
  • TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN
    http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m04xb8YN6i1qj8071o1_500.jpg

This is my great-grandfather's Colt Match Target .22. The grips are custom, and it's in great condition. My question is... What is the thing on the end of the barrel? It has three slits in the top, which made me think it was some sort of muzzle brake or compensator, but I cannot find anything on the internet to help me learn about it. The main reason I'm wondering is that the slits are pretty dirty with 40 yr old gunpowder and cleaning it properly would require removing it, something I cannot figure out how to do :( Hopefully you all can open and view the picture, it's the best I have on hand at the moment since I am in Bloomington for college and the gun is in Fort Wayne getting a better one would be a tad difficult.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if more information is needed, ask away and I'll do my best to answer.

-Tyler

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Looks like a ported compensator to me. Someone will be along any minute to tell you more. I would think that you could get it sufficiently clean without having to remove it - a good old soak in powder solvent should do it to start. Just need to get the compensator in the solvent, not the whole pistol of course. It might be obvious on close inspection how to remove the compensator, but I would bet it isn't designed to have to be removed just for cleaning.

TylerAdels

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Fort Wayne & Bloomington, IN
    Thanks for the cleaning tip, rockhopper. That is my biggest concern to be honest. I haven't found anything on a factory model with this compensator either... and I've looked quite a bit. I haven't even seen another Colt with this type of compensator, to be honest. Can't wait to get it cleaned up nicely, I'm sure it will shoot like a dream.

Top Bottom