• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RandomCubed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Now, I want to say first off this isn't an argument about the function of these two. They have both been proven over and over again in all sorts of conditions.
    What I wanted to hear was the opinions everyone has about how these two devices function while carrying for civilians.

That Being Said

I'm of the opinion that the hammer gives me more control and another visual cue about the state of the gun, also my exposure to handguns has always included hammers and it figures into my safe handling just as a matter of training.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Its hard to get lint, dirt, or a shirt stuck in a striker fire while carrying that would prevent the gun from going bang. I'll keep carrying my striker fire. :twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Personally I prefer traditional DA/SA or SAO over DAO or striker fired guns.

Infact I no longer own anything but DA/SA and SAO guns. I traded my M&P .40 in on my new Sig P229 last week.

I have yet to find a striker gun with a trigger that I like is the main reason. They all just feel spongy to me. Plus with DA/SA I like the fact that if for some reason the round doesnt fire the first strike you can just pull the trigger again to give the primer another whack.

DAO or striker is better for comp bc the trigger is the same everytime, and you dont handicap yourself with the DA first shot and SA follow ups.

But for EDC I prefer DA/SA

68_F100

Expert
    Rating - 93.9%
    31   2   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    North Salem
    I second the funny trigger feel of striker fired weapons. I have the m&p and just can't get the feel for the trigger. Thats the only striker fired weapon I own so myabe some are better than others.

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    I'm of the opinion that the hammer gives me more control and another visual cue about the state of the gun, also my exposure to handguns has always included hammers and it figures into my safe handling just as a matter of training.

My Ruger SR9 & XD both are striker and you can easily tell the state of both (if it's cocked or not). The tip is highlighted and easily visible. I have to recommend the striker cause the hammer sometimes gets caught on things etc and the gun looks better to me - personal pref obviously.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I prefer a hammer on a gun for many of the above stated reasons. I just never felt comfortable with the striker fire system and the trigger feel on most of them. A SAO style like 1911 is my first preference followed closely by the DA/SA like a Sig or revolver. But hey, that's why they make so many different guns, none are perfect and everyone can choose what they want. :twocents:

I didn't even try to muddy the waters with my beloved P7 squeeze cocker. ;)

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Nowadays I prefer the striker, but that's mostly for consistency of training among most of my guns. I think either is just fine as long as you practice.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I second the funny trigger feel of striker fired weapons. I have the m&p and just can't get the feel for the trigger. Thats the only striker fired weapon I own so myabe some are better than others.

That might just be the feel of a stock trigger for you. For that reason, I basically have trigger jobs done on all my toys, especially if you do any sort of competition with it.

T-Mann

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    Michiana Area
    I've said it before in other threads....I prefer hammer. Just my personal preference. One for the reasons listed above, the other reason is aesthetics. I just like the way a hammer looks too...

MY-POOR-GUN-5.jpg

item_305.jpg

I just like to see that hammer there......just more appealing to me. I feel the same about revolvers. I like the look of the S&W 637 better than the S&W 638.

Ccook1065

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I like the striker fire, but I have never owned a hammer fired weapon. I am interested in getting one though... mostly because I think I should have one of everything! :):

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    I've had aloooooot of pistols, only 2 striker fire that i still have, they grow on ya, er....me.

But i'll admit...there is something about the look of that hammer that says back the **** up! lol

I have to say both :)

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I guess I’m strange but I don’t have any trouble transitioning from a 1911 to a Glock, at least the Glocks that I have reworked the trigger on. By getting the Glock trigger to about 3.5 #s and the reset to about 1/8", other than more pretravel on the Glock they feel close enough to the same to suit me.. I’m also very comfortable with the safety aspect of a striker fired pistol or the 1911. They are different but I really like them both.
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

Last edited:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I have yet to find a striker gun with a trigger that I like is the main reason. They all just feel spongy to me. Plus with DA/SA I like the fact that if for some reason the round doesnt fire the first strike you can just pull the trigger again to give the primer another whack.

This is probably the worst reason to carry a double action auto, IMHO. I don't know of any training organization that teaches you to do a second strike vs. performing immediate action and getting the bad round out of the gun and chambering a fresh round. Odds are if a round failed to ignite the first time it won't ignite on the second attempt. If you hear click, tap the mag, rack the slide and resume shooting.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    This is probably the worst reason to carry a double action auto, IMHO. I don't know of any training organization that teaches you to do a second strike vs. performing immediate action and getting the bad round out of the gun and chambering a fresh round. Odds are if a round failed to ignite the first time it won't ignite on the second attempt. If you hear click, tap the mag, rack the slide and resume shooting.

My experiance has been the opposite. I had a Savage rifle that would somtimes have light primer strikes or it could have been hard primers on the cheap surplus ammo I was using. But if it didnt go off the first hit it always went off on the second.

Pistol primers could be different Idk I dont reload so Im not up on that stuff. Also its faster and easier to pull the trigger again than to "tap and rack". If it doesnt go off on the second strike then Ill do that, but then I could be dead. But thats my choice. Its not the only reason I choose to carry a DA/SA its just one I think is worth having.

Personal preference you know.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I've tended to stray away from DA/SA pistols, and I think the overall trend in seems to be heading that way.

I don't care about relying on the hammer to tell me what condition my gun is in. If it's on me, it's ready to fire. If it's not, I assume it is ready to fire until I check otherwise.

I also dislike having a manual safety that most (including my 1911, fnx, etc) hammer fired guns have. I don't care to add any extra steps to my draw, simply point and shoot. Also, I just plain like the consistancy of a striker fired gun, as well as the consistancy it has with transitioning to an AR.

tdoom15

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

COMPLETELY agree.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    My experiance has been the opposite. I had a Savage rifle that would somtimes have light primer strikes or it could have been hard primers on the cheap surplus ammo I was using. But if it didnt go off the first hit it always went off on the second.

Pistol primers could be different Idk I dont reload so Im not up on that stuff. Also its faster and easier to pull the trigger again than to "tap and rack". If it doesnt go off on the second strike then Ill do that, but then I could be dead. But thats my choice. Its not the only reason I choose to carry a DA/SA its just one I think is worth having.

Personal preference you know.
    I understand it's personal preference and I certainly wouldn't fault you for your decision. I might not agree, and I would like for you to reconsider given the potential for dire consequences, but I respect your decision.

In the case of your Savage, chances are the weapon was malfunctioning. This is something that should be uncovered in training and resolved long before you get into a fight. It's also possible you had a bad lot of ammo, again this should be uncovered in training and the ammo replaced with ammo you know works.

arbys1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the striker fire, but I have never owned a hammer fired weapon. I am interested in getting one though... mostly because I think I should have one of everything! :):

That's the best answer I can find too. I have Sao da/sa dao & striker fire pistols they all work very well it just takes practice to become proficient with each. But one things for sure my Glock's trigger will never be as smooth as my 1911's. I've tried to get it there it ain't happening.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Its hard to get lint, dirt, or a shirt stuck in a striker fire while carrying that would prevent the gun from going bang. I'll keep carrying my striker fire. :twocents:
    Thats the best reasoning I've heard for strikers.
    That being said, I only carry hammer fired pistols. I do have two that are striker fired, a XD40 and a Walther p99 but they don't get carried. I guess its just what you train with, I've always preferred the trigger and the safety on my Colt 1911's

Top Bottom