• ...and so much more!
  • BC9

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Fishers
    I just bought a PF9 a couple weeks ago. I like it, but am wondering what might be out there to make it a little better, like better sights to help my weary eyes aim better, or a slip on grip for better comfort, extended mags for more capacity. Any PF9 owners out there that have "improved" their pistol?

Thanx

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I put a Crimson Trace laser on mine, and it really helps. I also lightly sanded the backstrap to get the sharp edges off. It's more comfortable with a slip on grip, but I took mine off as I use it strictly as a pocket pistol and the grip got in the way.

Check out the Kel Tec Owner's Group ("KTOG") website. Lots of good folks there with a lot of experience.

It's a nice little gun.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I did the +1 mag extension from Keltec for $13.50 and a Pachmayr grip glove. (the LC9 model) Both of these together made it more filling in my hand. I plan on painting the sights as soon as I find the color paint I like.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Don't get too carried away. The newer pistols have most of the bugs worked out, unlike the earlier ones. The PF9 is a neat, reliable, little pistol.

KTOG is the best resource for things of this nature.

The Hogue slip-on grip has had a positive impact.

I prefer the pinky-hook magazine bases, although the hook catches more on my ring finger.

For "Mexican" carry, using a Raven Vanguard, the clip is beneficial. VanGuard Holster System

You can contact Kel-Tec, for a new set of sights, and there is a tutorial out there that tells how to take a drill bit (about .050), and manually drill out the sights, for the insertion of fibre optic material. (you have to order that)

IIRC, KTOG also has a tutorial for a $.25 fluff&buff, using toothpaste, or buffing compound, and a q-tip, to smooth out machined mating surfaces.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I did the +1 mag extension from Keltec for $13.50 and a Pachmayr grip glove. (the LC9 model) Both of these together made it more filling in my hand. I plan on painting the sights as soon as I find the color paint I like.

This ^ The few PF9s I have are pretty much minimalist in what one can do with it in regards to FUNCTIONALITY modifications.

Here is what every PF9 I have goes through:
    1. Polish with jeweler's rouge and felt wheel the feed ramp, breech face, disconnector track, barrel hood (okay, the last one was more cosmetic ;) ).
    2. Remove the "seam" flashing all over the gun, plus dull some of the sharper edges on the grip frame.
    3. All of mine are the parkerized model, so I put it out in hot sun, take it in, wipe grease all over it, wipe off excess and repeat several times. Really gets rust preventative down to the metal big time and keeps it looking great (all parkerized guns should do this!! The park itself is garbage, only holds what you put on it, get your preventative DEEP down).
    4. Pacmeyer grip or similar. Really cut the immediant shock of firing down and kept me from getting palsy hand for several hours afterwards (now only takes 100 rounds instead of 50 :D ).
    5. To hell with painting sights or lasers (I am a fundamentalist and train as such), learn point shooting, learn to shoot the pistol without the sights for a while, practice, practice, practice. A box every year through your PF9 is insufficient practice for the recoil it produces.
    6. Handload, and I mean light. Lots of fun, makes it cheap to shoot, lessens wear and mine have all been exceptional with my 147gr lead loads: Very accurate (quarter sized 5 round groups at 7 yards slow fire). I have noticed the PF9 is pretty reliable over a wide variety of stuff, anything from the 147gr Federal HST+P to my 90 grain handloads.
    7. If possible, get another one and do the above, use one for practice, one for carry after ensuring it is reliable. While KT has a great warranty, it leaves my butt out in the wind if your pistol is at their repair shop.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom