• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    I do not get WHY I'm "on hold" when I went to pick up my new Glock 27 yesterday from my local shop! :xmad: It wasn't but a few weeks ago when I bought my PT111, I'm trading in on it for my EDC, and didn't get put on hold! I have my LTCH and have purchased 3 pistols in the last few months, so WTH am I ON HOLD??? You'd think their software would allow notes or some kind of tracking on the calls/purchases. I don't know much about the system, but I must say it's BS! my :twocents:

I've heard of people with class III licenses (AKA whatever you need for machine guns) getting put on hold too, so I guess it happens more often than one may think. :dunno:

In other news I got this G27 Gen4 for a great deal. It was NIB(NF) and comes with everything original plus an extra mag (3 total). I guess a guy won it out of the NRA mag - had it transferred to the shop and didn't want it so the shop owner picked it up.:yesway:

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've heard of people with class III licenses getting put on hold too, so I guess it happens more often than one may think. :dunno:

(FYI...no such thing as a Class III license)

And the consensus is that there's no rhyme nor reason for delays. Some speculate that it's an underhanded ploy to keep purchases down, some speculate that when NICS is super busy that they "delay" at random to help alleviate their work load. :dunno: Or, perhaps someone with a similar name has recently gotten into trouble.

-J-

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought two handguns and two long guns the other day from the same dealer. They go through NICS on two separate forms because they are different types of firearms.

The handguns went through and the long guns got delayed. Does that make any sense? Not to me it doesn't. But half of all of my purchases get delayed so I'm used to it. I wait a few days and my FFL calls me to come get my goodies.

JOe

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    Stick to the gunshows is my opinion. Why pay the taxes and have to do paperwork.

Too bad I leave Monday and won't be back until late next Sunday - or I was going to go to the 1500 for the first time. Sure I'll be at the next one though!~

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    (FYI...no such thing as a Class III license)

-J-

I said that cause one of the workers said it - I assumed he was referring to guys that are licensed to (or stamped or whatever) shoot and have machine guns though. Maybe he said something else and I misunderstood him though.

SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    My first purchase was put on hold. I never did find out a reason why; but as soon as I got my permit I headed over to Elmore's and bought a nice M&P 40 and had to wait 2 days to take it home. I assume some person with the same name as me might be an undesirable person.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A State Trooper friend of mine was in Indy a few years ago for some training. He was in full uniform with duty weapon in a marked car after work and was purchasing a new glock 27 (when thgey breifly had the 40 cal) and he was delayed. He sort of shook his head and the gun store guy was like WTH just one of those funny things. No biggie he got it a couple days late but like some have said it can happen to anyone.

SERVED_USMC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Lake County
    I have never had an issue. Maybe its because I have an uncommon last name? Either way, one day I might get held up. All you can do is take it in stride I guess. I did see some irate moron start whining to the guy at the counter about how he will "never buy another gun from here again". Counter guy- "Technically you havent even bought this one yet, so its your loss". :laugh:

Just dont be "that guy".

Notavictim646

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 3, 2010
    Undisclosed
    I Have been delayed 5 out of the last 5 times. I just expect it now. Never a problem after my three day wait though. Just make sure if you buy from a dealer at a show that you know where he is located, or have another FFL dealer at the show that is willing to take possession of the gun until the wait is over. Otherwise you could save a little $ on something and have to spend Time and $ in gas to go get pick it up. Depending on how far away the Seller is located, this could be significant.

Getting delayed has helped me to develope patience. Sorta

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I do not get WHY I'm "on hold" when I went to pick up my new Glock 27 yesterday from my local shop! :xmad: It wasn't but a few weeks ago when I bought my PT111, I'm trading in on it for my EDC, and didn't get put on hold! I have my LTCH and have purchased 3 pistols in the last few months, so WTH am I ON HOLD??? You'd think their software would allow notes or some kind of tracking on the calls/purchases. I don't know much about the system, but I must say it's BS! my :twocents:

I've heard of people with class III licenses (AKA whatever you need for machine guns) getting put on hold too, so I guess it happens more often than one may think. :dunno:

In other news I got this G27 Gen4 for a great deal. It was NIB(NF) and comes with everything original plus an extra mag (3 total). I guess a guy won it out of the NRA mag - had it transferred to the shop and didn't want it so the shop owner picked it up.:yesway:

Maybe their software DOES include notes and/or tracking of calls and purchases and they think you have bought too many in such a short time? I'm sure it's purely random (although I have never been delayed (knock on wood)

Easy1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2012
    Kokomo
    Same here. Then less than a minute later and the sale is being rung up. I've done experiments of not providing the SSN or with it and the timing is virtually the same.

That's good to know cause I've wondered that. I give my ssn cause fig it takes the someone with same name being a felon out of it yah know. I DEFF don't give the workers, or owner in this case, a hard time though - not his fault! Last sale it was funny cause he acted like I was on hold even though I wasn't (said well, give me your cell cause you're on hold...me, dang I wanted to shoot...him, jk). Patience is one thing I don't have, so guess that's what I get!

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Stick to the gunshows is my opinion. Why pay the taxes and have to do paperwork.

Most guns sold at gun shows are sold by dealers and you have to get NICS approval and pay sales tax just like if you were in the shop.

Now if you stick to FTF transactions, at a gun show or not, you will avoid the NICS check and paying sales tax.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Maybe their software DOES include notes and/or tracking of calls and purchases and they think you have bought too many in such a short time? I'm sure it's purely random (although I have never been delayed (knock on wood)

Bought 3 firearms the same day each one from a different dealer without an issue (Well not from NICS just Chase Bank). 12 firearms and I've never had a purchase put on hold.

Top Bottom