I'm sure this has been beat to death, but...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    My wife & I are expecting our first child this summer. Since we have started trying to get pregnant I have found myself evolving more into a protective minded kind of guy. Had a security system installed with a 48hr battery backup and cell phone transmitter for when I'm away, and have a kimber custom II tucked away for when I am home.... I'm not a small guy 6'1" 205lbs. I pruchased a small of the back IWB holster for it, but it is obvious and attention drawing.

Which leads me to where I am now. I don't know all that much about small arms, and am looking for a new carry side arm. Normally I don't mind saving and dropping a nice wad of cash, but with current status of economy and my wife I need to be more budget minded, lol...

I don't need a .45ACP like my kimber, but wanting something with more stopping power than a .22. Also would need to be small enough that I could use a pocket/IWB holster without being burdensome or obvious... I'm open to all suggestions... Looking in the $200-$300 new range

Thanks,
    R

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    A used Ruger SP101 is great, but hard to find nowadays as folks seem to think their used 250 dollar revolvers are 500 dollar pieces. There are many .357 (loaded with hot .38 special) small revolvers available.

For pocket work, Keltecs are pretty damned convienient. Very small and UNDER your quoted price range (assuming people arent once again getting illusions of grandeur on pricing).

Hiram2005

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Plains of Hamilton County
    Well at first I was going to say Glock 26 but that's out of the price range. So I will suggest the Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm. Small and works good in a pocket holster. A small revolver such as a S+W 442 or 642 would be great too but would have to go used which in my mind is no big deal. Should be able to find one for the upper figure of $300.

schwaky18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Lizton, IN (Hendricks County)
    Not sure how small you thinking I'll start with smallest and go up: kel-tec P3AT (.380 cal around $300), .357 snub (around $400), glock 27 (.40 cal around $400), glock 19 or 23.

Personally, I would go with glock 27 or if that is to big then a .357 snubnose and look for a good used ones.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    +1
    The S&W 642/442 is awesome for CC. It's extremely versatile; you can carry it IWB, OWB, in your pocket with a pocket holster, or using a smartcarry holster. It only weighs 15-oz unloaded. And a more powerful cartridge in a gun of this weight and size is unmanagable - .38 special +p is fine. I have a .357 snubby (weighs 20 oz) and it's really hard to shoot with .357s; I normally use .38.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would recommend a Kel-Tec P11 for that price range. A little more easily concealed than a Glock and right in your price range. You get 12 rounds of 9mm. I like the idea of having a really small "carry all the time" pistol like a P3AT. It isn't a 9mm, but it might be with you all the time.

A good revolver as mentioned above is definitely a valid choice as well.

glockguy07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A used Ruger SP101 is great, but hard to find nowadays as folks seem to think their used 250 dollar revolvers are 500 dollar pieces. There are many .357 (loaded with hot .38 special) small revolvers available.

For pocket work, Keltecs are pretty damned convienient. Very small and UNDER your quoted price range (assuming people arent once again getting illusions of grandeur on pricing).

Get a fair priced Ruger SP101, last used one in great condition that my dealer, Jerry's Gun Shop had went for in between $300-$325.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If you already have a Kimber, you will not be happy with a $2-300 new gun. You will keep it for a few months, wish you had something better, then trade it in on what you really want at a loss of about half what you paid for it. Either save for a good used Ruger/S&W revolver, or get a compact/subcompact auto like the XD40. (lots of us carry 3" barreled autos like the XD9 or XD40 concealed every day.)

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    :welcome: to INGO and congrats on your impending arrival!

You've gotten some good suggestions above. One thing that has not been addressed is that small-of-back holster for your Kimber. There have been reports of people who've fallen backwards with holsters in that position and who've had some back issues (I seem to recall some paralysis, but not certain of that) from landing with a large chunk of metal between the spine and the ground. If you're going to carry in that holster, I think I'd suggest moving it over to either five o'clock or seven o'clock carry. (and just in case that reference is confusing, we're talking about your body as the "clock" and small-of-back is six o'clock and your left and right arms are nine- and three, respectively)

It sounds like you're really new (we all were, once! :) )to the idea of self-defense and home defense. Maybe you might also consider instead of another firearm, taking a training class in how to use it, carry it, etc. There are some really good classes offered by some great instructors, and a few of them are right here on INGO.

I wish you and your family well. Speaking of such, you said that you carry your Kimber I'm going to infer that you have your Lifetime LTCH. Does your wife also? It's good that you take care of your home and family, but you're not with her 24/7, and when you're not, she's responsible for herself, and while s/he is small, the baby, too.

Just my :twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For your price range, I would look for a used S&W or Taurus ultralightweight .38 Special snubby. For just over $300, you can get a new Taurus 85 stainless ultralightweight. My wife's gave very good service, was accurate, had a nice trigger, and was so convenient and light you could forget you had it on, which is the attribute she loved most about it.

The Bersa .380s you can find new for $230-$270, depending on where you are shopping. Good guns, I like the . 38 Special better than the .380 but it's a round that is suitable. The gun is light, flat, and very easy to CC.

I'll trade you my S&W 3913 for your Kimber, btw :D

JOC, have you tried carrying your .45 in a different spot? For me, just behind the hip at about 4 o'clock works well.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My wife & I are expecting our first child this summer. Since we have started trying to get pregnant I have found myself evolving more into a protective minded kind of guy. Had a security system installed with a 48hr battery backup and cell phone transmitter for when I'm away, and have a kimber custom II tucked away for when I am home.... I'm not a small guy 6'1" 205lbs. I pruchased a small of the back IWB holster for it, but it is obvious and attention drawing.

Which leads me to where I am now. I don't know all that much about small arms, and am looking for a new carry side arm. Normally I don't mind saving and dropping a nice wad of cash, but with current status of economy and my wife I need to be more budget minded, lol...

I don't need a .45ACP like my kimber, but wanting something with more stopping power than a .22. Also would need to be small enough that I could use a pocket/IWB holster without being burdensome or obvious... I'm open to all suggestions... Looking in the $200-$300 new range

Thanks,
    R

I can highly recomend the Glock 19 or Smith Wesson 3913. Both are 9mm and about the same size. The Glock is a little thicker but carries more rounds in the magazine. The Smith is a lot more comfortable to carry and still has 8 in the mag and one in the chamber.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Thanks for all the suggestions thus far.... After visiting a few shops last night, I think I am going to order a Ruger LCP along with a box of Hornady's new .380 critical defense ammo (which I hope I never have to use.)

I did look at a few compact Kimbers. Very very tempting, just too much bulk in the gun...and price tag...lol

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Try a different holster... IWB @ 3:00 or appendix and it will be much easier to be discreet.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I think you will be happy with the LCP. I got one when the first came out and it is a great little pocket gun. I also have a little push up holster the drops the gun to your waistband level inside your pants. You can carry this appendix and it is not noticeable at all.

Top Bottom