• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm looking at picking up a Blue Gun (solid inert pistol for training) to help train some friends. I've had access to one to borrow, but that is no longer the case. I think they are almost required for good firearms training, to allow someone to point directly at you so you can check their sight alignment, as well as safe demonstrations and a dozen other tasks.

What suppliers do you go through? I'm looking at a G19/23 model and possibly a second style, depending on price.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    $34.00 at Alamo Tactical:
    Tactical Equipment, Military Weapons, Weapon Accessories - San Antonio, Texas

I do suggest going with the Ring's Blue Guns, rather than the ASP Red Guns. IME, the Blue Guns are closer to actual dimensions and will fit holsters and such better.

For the Glocks, there's also the option of the Blade-Tech inert training barrel, which will be significantly less expensive and will allow you to practice with your "real" sights, grip and trigger.
    Training Barrel :: Tactical Lights & Accessories :: Blade-Tech Industries

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    $34.00 at Alamo Tactical:
    Tactical Equipment, Military Weapons, Weapon Accessories - San Antonio, Texas

I do suggest going with the Ring's Blue Guns, rather than the ASP Red Guns. IME, the Blue Guns are closer to actual dimensions and will fit holsters and such better.

For the Glocks, there's also the option of the Blade-Tech inert training barrel, which will be significantly less expensive and will allow you to practice with your "real" sights, grip and trigger.
    Training Barrel :: Tactical Lights & Accessories :: Blade-Tech Industries

Yes, I like the idea of getting a barrel for dry fire. However, I prefer a true blue gun for demonstrations. I want to make sure that no one misunderstands that what I am holding is an inert pistol. Some things you would do with a blue gun, you would not want to do with a real pistol. If those you are teaching do not grasp that you have a safety barrel in it, you are giving them a conflicting image compared to the safety rules you forced them to memorize. :D

Thanks for the links. Better prices than I have been able to find.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Some things you would do with a blue gun, you would not want to do with a real pistol.

Like this? :laugh:
    use_of_cover.jpg

It's also nice to be able to file the sights on the Blue Guns down (or off) for retention and counter-retention training, to reduce cut-up hands.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you want an uncommon model of Blue Gun (like the 1911A1 cocked and locked), you usually have to get it directly from Rings. If it's a Glock or something everyone wants, $34 is a good price.

Blackhawk is making inert guns now too (they are orange), which are about $10-$20 less. They're not as heavy, the rear sights need to be opened (if you care), but they fit Kydex holsters intended for Glocks. My Glock 17 is on its way from LA Police Gear right now (allegedly).

Top Bottom