• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    I recently purchased a S&W model 13-3. It was manufactured in the early 1980s and has the firing pin on the hammer. From what I've been told and the little I've read on the model, the revolver should not be dry fired on empty chambers.

My question: Are there alternatives to snap caps?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    You can dry fire any S&W revolver except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

That 13 is a nice model...I have a 19 that I bought in the 80's

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was taught not to dry-fire a revolver that had the hammer-mounted FP

That said, buying a set of snap caps can be rather cheap insurance.

-J-

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I dry fire my 1911's all of the time... If you do wear something out, I have tons of extras...

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Option 1: Put some spent shells in the cylinder and fire away (double check to make sure they are spent).

Option 2: If you reload, load everything minus [STRIKE]bullets[/STRIKE] powder and primers and fill the primer hole with silicone.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Option 1: Put some spent shells in the cylinder and fire away (double check to make sure they are spent).

Option 2: If you reload, load everything minus bullets and primers and fill the primer hole with silicone.

That's a good idea to use a dab of silicone in the primer hole.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    That's a good idea to use a dab of silicone in the primer hole.

Yes, it's an even better idea when you load the bullet but leave out the powder:laugh::laugh:

Swoo..I'm glad nobody takes my advice seriously:laugh:

But being serious, this is what I've done for my 625. Loaded the bullet, left out charge and primer, filled hole with silicone. No problems in literally tens of thousands of dry fires (comp gun).

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Yes, it's an even better idea when you load the bullet but leave out the powder:laugh::laugh:

Swoo..I'm glad nobody takes my advice seriously:laugh:

But being serious, this is what I've done for my 625. Loaded the bullet, left out charge and primer, filled hole with silicone. No problems in literally tens of thousands of dry fires (comp gun).

I have used the silicone too. I just don't see the need for a bullet in a revolver. I also have snap caps.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    You can dry fire any S&W revolver except for the .22 caliber pistols which includes models 22A, 22S, 422, 2206, 2214, 2213 and 41.

That 13 is a nice model...I have a 19 that I bought in the 80's

And the Model 17 and 34 .22 revolvers. You can not dry fire those either. This gentleman is surely right about the others being safe though.

How to smooth out a Smith and Wesson:
    Put "Dirty Harry" in the DVD player and Dry-fire at the bad guys. Watch all three in the series,(sorry, I do not count "The Dead Pool" as a real "Dirty Harry" movie) and at the end of the session you should have a blister and a smoother trigger. This can be done with snap caps or without.

I just picked up a 65-3 and put some stags on it. It was a police trade in with some nicks, so while being my BBQ gun, it's more like an Southern Indiana backyard BBQ rather than the kind they have in Texas.(God Bless Sam Houston, Davey Crockett, Frank Hamer, and Hank Hill.)

I have yet to see a bumper sticker that says, "This Vehicle Insured by Taurus". Nothing has quite the cachet of a Smith.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Any issues with filling the hole with silicone, adding some sand to the casing, putting a bullet in so you can practice with something close to the weight and feel of a live shell? Maybe mark it in some way also?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The way it was explained to me, if you dry fire it enough, it will peen out the passage in the frame. Personally, I like mine well enough that I have elected not to prove or disprove this theory. Why not just but the snap caps and for less than $20 insure the well-being of your revolver which is worth at least 20 times the cost of the snap caps.

Top Bottom