• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    Is it impossible to pocket carry a Glock 30sf? I'm looking for something to carry during the summer. I carry a Glock 23 in an IWB holster and I was hoping to find something for pocket carry. I may just end up getting an LC9 or something, but I was wondering if the G30sf is an option.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    lcp or lc9 is going to be your best bet. the thickness on the glock is too much in general. i am wondering about that springfield xds compact.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Is it impossible to pocket carry a Glock 30sf? I'm looking for something to carry during the summer. I carry a Glock 23 in an IWB holster and I was hoping to find something for pocket carry. I may just end up getting an LC9 or something, but I was wondering if the G30sf is an option.

Not at all with the right pants and right pockets, if you're a big guy. I pocket carried the standard Glock 30 for a while. It was uncomfortable but with a pocket holster it blended. Try it. A good pocket holster is under 20 bucks. See if Midwest Guns would let you see how it feels.

I will say this though - the Keltec PF9 literally disappeared into my pocket.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    Not at all with the right pants and right pockets, if you're a big guy. I pocket carried the standard Glock 30 for a while. It was uncomfortable but with a pocket holster it blended. Try it. A good pocket holster is under 20 bucks. See if Midwest Guns would let you see how it feels.

I will say this though - the Keltec PF9 literally disappeared into my pocket.

Considering something like the PF9 is way cheaper and smaller, it seems to make sense to go that route. I think I was just excited about the possibility of buying another glock. Oh well.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    If you've got a G23, why not take a look at the G27? I can pocket carry it with ease. The G30(SF) is about a half inch larger measured along the grip, about a half inch larger along the slide and about a tenth inch wider, would certainly make life harder, I'm not sure if I would deem it impossible though. You'd have to be careful about clothing and pocket sizes. When I pocket carry the G27 I tend to take off the CT laser grips as the extra fractions of an inch from the laser module make me go from something in my pocket to something suspicious in my pocket, those numbers may seem small on the surface but they make a huge impact on concealability. All that said I really haven't played around with a 30SF.

G26/G27/G33/G39:4.17 x 6.54 x 1.18
    G30/G30SF:.........4.45 x 6.97 x 1.28

I found the LC9 to be so large that I figured I might as well just carry the Glock, so $14 instead of $350 later: I had a pocket carry solution. If you go LCP you're entering a different level of gun and caliber, it will hide easier but you're also giving more of a trade off than you would be with a subcompact Glock in a service caliber with 8 or more rounds on board.

Augustine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    South Bend
    If you've got a G23, why not take a look at the G27? I can pocket carry it with ease. The G30(SF) is about a half inch larger measured along the grip, about a half inch larger along the slide and about a tenth inch wider, would certainly make life harder, I'm not sure if I would deem it impossible though. You'd have to be careful about clothing and pocket sizes. When I pocket carry the G27 I tend to take off the CT laser grips as the extra fractions of an inch from the laser module make me go from something in my pocket to something suspicious in my pocket, those numbers may seem small on the surface but they make a huge impact on concealability. All that said I really haven't played around with a 30SF.

G26/G27/G33/G39:4.17 x 6.54 x 1.18
    G30/G30SF:.........4.45 x 6.97 x 1.28

I found the LC9 to be so large that I figured I might as well just carry the Glock, so $14 instead of $350 later: I had a pocket carry solution. If you go LCP you're entering a different level of gun and caliber, it will hide easier but you're also giving more of a trade off than you would be with a subcompact Glock in a service caliber with 8 or more rounds on board.

Thanks so much. I will check out the 27 as well.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Considering something like the PF9 is way cheaper and smaller, it seems to make sense to go that route. I think I was just excited about the possibility of buying another glock. Oh well.

I know a petite blond federal agent who keeps the subcompact .40 on her ankle with no problems. Yeah...it's kinda hot. :D

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Coming soon...

...If you really have to have a .45 ACP and want to pocket carry, the new Heizer DoubleTap looks like a viable option, albeit a little expensive. Of course, the indicated prices are MSRP and not what the guns will eventually sell for. The thin profile of these derringers make them rather attractive.

marshallartist

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I had one. Too big for pocket carry even for a big guy with big pockets like me. A Glock 26/27 is about as big as I can go in a pocket but I prefer something the size of a CM9 or j-frame.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    I would never be able to pocket carry a glock (5 foot 9, 135lbs soaking wet)... but if you were set on pocket carrying one... why not a g26/27?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I carry a 30SF daily, and I can't even begin to imagine how I'd tote it in a pocket... even my winter coat's pockets wouldn't work.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A G30SF is a fatter, heavier G19 in 45acp instead of 9mm if that helps folks with perspective.

"Pocket carry" is kind of a relative/subjective term because pockets vary widely. However, the G30SF is far too large and heavy for carry in "typical" pockets. If one's pockets are atypically large and the garment is constructed of sturdy fabric (probably sturdier than you may want to wear during summer's heat) to hold the weight, sure maybe, but you'd almost have to look for specific clothes for the purpose as most do not fit the bill for the G30.

The G36 has the same profile but is a bit thinner and lighter. Yet, still not a gun squarely in the pocket carry category, imho. All of these would be pushing the pocket carry envelope.

Yet, believe it or not, Desantis DOES make a version of the Nemesis pocket holster to fit the G36. So someone must be sticking these things in some big pockets somewhere (probably coat/jacket pockets).

Ymmv.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom