• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Disclaimer: This review is a "newb" review of the Kel Tec P3AT. I am brand new to the pistol world, this is my first pistol, and I have only shot a limited number of other handguns to compare to. These are just my thoughts and comments. Take what you are about to read with a grain of salt. Watch your back, 'cus no one else will.

The Kel-Tec P3AT… Where to start? Well, let me give you a little background on the firearm. The P3AT (hereby referred to as the P), is the worlds lightest .380 handgun. Weighing in at a feather weight 8.3 ounces unloaded, this gun is LIGHT! Add about another 2.8 ounces with a loaded mag, that brings the P up to a grand weight of 11.1 ounces. That is still a light gun! Lighter than a can of soda, you will forget this tiny guy is on your person.

IMAG0492.jpg

After shooting about a hundred and fifty rounds down the pipe, I can tell you this much, with the gun being as light as it is, the recoil definitely lets you know that your shooting it. It was bad enough that I didn't want to shoot more than a box in one sitting. The trigger pinches your finger if you aren't careful, but overall, I have a blast shooting this thing. This little guy is loud! About as loud as a 20 gauge. It has a nice bark to it, and people tend to look down range to see what the hell is making all that noise. When they see it is such a tiny pistol, they tend to chuckle.

IMAG0493.jpg

This little guy isn't very fond of cheap ammo. The first box I bought was Remington UMC. 50 rounds, and it fed perfect. No FTE's or FTF's. However, today when I took it out, I made the mistake of buying two boxes of Blazer Steel case (pictured) and it absolutely hates it. Jams every few clips, when you feed this animal, feed it well, and it will treat you well.

Accuracy on the P isn't as terrible as one may think. I was getting about two inch groups at seven yards, pretty consistently. Seeing as though I am new to pistol shooting, I think that is decent, especially for a gun that is barely five inches long. I feel like if I need to, I can squeeze off seven shots, and hit at least five center mass with no problems.

IMAG0494.jpg

Over all, for this new pistol shooter, and soon to be new LTCH holder, this is about all I can ask for. The P3AT is a nice little pocket gun, easy to slide in a pants pocket and forget all about, and fun enough to take out to the range for a day of shooting. Don't go cheap on the ammo, you will be just fine. The accuracy isn't great, but don't forget how small this guy is. My final words, if you can, go pick one up, they're fun to have around, and it seems like it will be a great summer time carry piece.

Video:

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I have one w/ an extra clip. I acquired it used from a guy that I work with and he only shot a couple hundred rounds through it.

I blew 100 rounds through mine a couple weeks ago at the range in South Bend and I must say, I'm becoming more accurate at about 10-15 yds. Having never shot a pistol before (myself) other than a couple plinks when I was 12, This thing is amazing. There is more recoil than you'd expect but mostly it's because it's a small pocket gun. I already have the upgrade bug and want to get the big brother to the P3AT.. the PF-9 .. or P-11.. I can't decide.. either way, I'm a huge fan of Kel Tec pistols..

Glad to see another Kel Tec owner here.. They are great guns ..

FWIW, they do settle down after a 'break in' of a couple hundred rounds and become less picky about what they eat.

Skywired

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    Cicero
    I've had one for many years; it's my daily carry. I originally sent it back to Kel-Tec for a "fluff n' buff" and it's been perfect on all ammo ran through it since then. (Although I only carry premium ammo.)

You can't beat it for cc!

hbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am the owner of 2 kel Tec PF9s and 1 P3AT. Some of the PF9s have
    had problems with FTEject. I also had one of those. There appears that the problem can be solved with an extractor tune(the best way) or by adding an extra extractor spring. You can find all the good info in the PF9 forum on the KTOG web site. Size wise as far as a 9MM EDC it is about as good as it gets.(IMO)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I am the owner of 2 kel Tec PF9s and 1 P3AT. Some of the PF9s have
    had problems with FTEject. I also had one of those. There appears that the problem can be solved with an extractor tune(the best way) or by adding an extra extractor spring. You can find all the good info in the PF9 forum on the KTOG web site. Size wise as far as a 9MM EDC it is about as good as it gets.(IMO)

i've been considering the P-11 as my next gun because I like the double stack mag, however, I've also been torn and eyeballing the PF9 as well... I'm waiting on my LTCH and am considering either the 11 or 9 as EDC and using the P3AT as my backup carry gun...

sorry to threadjack OP.. I'm a huge kel tec fan LOL

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the review. After a fluff & buff, mine can still be finicky with some jhp ammo such as Speer Gold Dots, but I feed mine Buffalo Bore 100gr Hardcast. The Kel-Tec & I are both in agreement on those.

Top Bottom