• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mvriley315

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Mooresville
    Looking for some advice......I have narrowed my choice of a new pistol to the M&P Compact. My question is which do you prefer and why, the .40 or the .45 version of each. I have heard that the recoil is "snappier" with the .40 more so than the .45. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Yup, the recoil is snappier with the .40.

I went .45. Because if I want a round larger than 9mm, I'll go with the larger one.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Between the .40 and .45 I would go with the 45, no question. IMO the .40 is the most pointless round, it offers neither the high capacity and faster follow up shots of the 9mm, nor the increased size of the 45, all with more recoil than either 9mm or the 45.

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Guess I'll hop in. I have not shot the compact in either of these, but I have in a 9mm. I personally carry .40s. I like the larger round with the less recoil for me. I have shot a .45 and a .40 and I like the .40 better, but again personal preference. Plus .40 ammo is cheaper with helped me determine it as well in the beginning and I have grown to like it much better.

Tsigos

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    I prefer the 40. It has 2 more rounds, is slightly smaller and weighs 7 to 8 oz less than the 45. The 45 does offer less recoil but I don't have a problem with the .40. I've heard that the 180gr .40 ammo recoils less than the 165gr but I have not compared the two back to back.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glock 22 and 27 work just fine for me. Large diameter round, high velocity, high capacity. It might hurt if you have girlie arms though ;)

Spazstick87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    .45 you are still able to get surplus ammo it is a bit more expensive but has considerable knock down power if you ever were put in a bad situation. Less rounds just means you need to practice more often and train to keep your cool in stressful situations.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Looking for some advice......I have narrowed my choice of a new pistol to the M&P Compact. My question is which do you prefer and why, the .40 or the .45 version of each. I have heard that the recoil is "snappier" with the .40 more so than the .45. All opinions are appreciated. Thanks, Mike
    Mike, the best thing you could possibly do is get to a range and try out a version of each. Borrow from friend, maybe a fellow INGO'er, rent them, etc. Each person is going to have their own personal preference of how the gun "handles," and each different TYPE of gun will handle a certain caliber differently.

For example, if you shoot a .40 through an all stainless steel full sized Sig, it won't feel much worse than a 9mm with a little more muzzle climb. Then put that same ammo in a plastic, compact Kahr and the muzzle flip will twist your wrist so much that it might feel as though it's going to break. On the other hand, a .45 typically feels more like a gentle push backwards rather than a lot of the muzzle flip (twisting the wrist motion.)

Different shooters will each have different preferences as far as comfort and felt recoil. Likewise, every little aspect of your gun and ammo will affect how it feels when you shoot it; bullet weight, powder charge, gun size, frame material, etc. They are ALL going to affect how much of the recoil YOU feel. For those reasons it is important for you to try a number of different guns. I would recommend trying two of each caliber. One at each end of extremes; a subcompact and a full size, a plastic gun and an all metal gun, etc. Then you will be able to decide which YOU are most comfortable with.

It is also important to remember that if this is a gun you plan to carry, then you will want to be proficient with it. To get proficient, it takes practice and lots of it. That means a LOT of ammo and so COST of ammo should also play a BIG factor in your decision. My recommendation for a new shooter is typically the 9mm because it's the best compromise of all things needed and still CERTAINLY more than capable of stopping an attacker. Good luck in your search.:twocents:

nucone

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkansas in the Ozarks
    I have the M&P 40 and 40c and both are great. I don't own a 45 however I have shot several 1911's and side by side with the M&P 40. The 40's recoil is definitely snappier but that may be due to the polymer pistol vs the steel frame of the 1911. I don't know how the M&P would feel in the 45.

Get whichever one you feel more comfortable with and rock on. Sometimes we just suffer paralysis by analysis and don't make a decision as a result. I have purchased over 15 pistols over my lifetime and to date have only regretted 2 of those (Taurus PT111 pro and S&W 642 Airweight). I have since traded them off for other pistols and the most I have lost on a trade was under $100. I just look at that as a gun rental fee. If you happen to choose the wrong one for you, just trade it off for something else with minimal losses.

sampo

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2012
    Owen County
    Go with the .40, the recoil is not enough to notice, you'll get a larger magazine capacity with the .40, and it is enough to get the job done. :soapbox:

Adamz04

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2012
    Fort wayne
    Between the .40 and .45 I would go with the 45, no question. IMO the .40 is the most pointless round, it offers neither the high capacity and faster follow up shots of the 9mm, nor the increased size of the 45, all with more recoil than either 9mm or the 45.

While 40 isn't my favorite round (9mm), I don't think it's worthless. It has more capacity than 45, more options for different firearms, often the guns are lighter and more concealable, and cheaper ammo.
    Plus if you look and the numbers 40 outperforms 45 in comparable firearms in terms of ballistics almost every time. Unless you are shooting a 5 inch barrel 1911 most bb guns have a faster fps. I know velocity isn't everything but you do have to account for it when your 45 is traveling a mere 650 fps. They do penetrate pretty well because of weight, but I would argue a heavy 40 would penetrate the same. Th

They are both quality rounds capable of doing the job at hand. It's just personal preference. I'm a glock guy and when they make a g19 sized 45 acp( not gap) i may switch to 45 from 40.

Top Bottom