• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Recently me and my dad both purchased Ruger 1911's. They are execellent guns and are accurate. My dad decided he wanted fiber optic sights on his so we took it to Gander Mtn gave it to the gunsmith told him what sights we wanted and he said he would call when he finished. A couple days later he calls and says that the sights we ordered from Novak which by the way is the advertised sights on the sr1911 wont fit he says they are a different cut. So I look on the ruger forums and someone said that Novak sights would fit so I am confused anyone know anything about this.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Recently me and my dad both purchased Ruger 1911's. They are execellent guns and are accurate. My dad decided he wanted fiber optic sights on his so we took it to Gander Mtn gave it to the gunsmith told him what sights we wanted and he said he would call when he finished. A couple days later he calls and says that the sights we ordered from Novak which by the way is the advertised sights on the sr1911 wont fit he says they are a different cut. So I look on the ruger forums and someone said that Novak sights would fit so I am confused anyone know anything about this.
    Well, there's your problem

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Take them to a REAL gunsmith.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Yes I DO NOT deal with Gander Mtn. all. Bad place to go for anything gun related at all. As stated above, take it to an actual local gunsmith. You will be supporting local commerce by doing this as a bonus.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I got them both from gander mtn. I would take them to a better gunsmith if it were a bigger problem but I figured they could handle a sight change just fine however I could be wrong.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    All the dovetail sight I have dealt with need to be fitted. It is not a terribly hard process, but takes a little time. On the plus side, at least he didn't beat them in there and damage the gun. I guess they could be too small, but one way or the other, do what the others have said and take it to a real gunsmith.

Robjps

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2011
    All the dovetail sight I have dealt with need to be fitted. It is not a terribly hard process, but takes a little time. On the plus side, at least he didn't beat them in there and damage the gun. I guess they could be too small, but one way or the other, do what the others have said and take it to a real gunsmith.

This :+1:

They have to be fitted even if they are too small they can still be fitted. Be glad he gave up and didn't smash them in. Take it to someone with a clue

1911 nut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    Nothwest In.
    The SR1911 dovetails are like the SW1911 they both have different cuts than a standard Novak even though he designed the sights. Its the companies way to nickel and dime us to death. Couple of more months & the sight makers will have whatever type of sights we want for the SR1911.

Last edited:

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Now my head is really spining Im getting different stories everywhere. I guess I need to get the word from Ruger.

Matt52

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    I got an e-mail from novak that said the rear sights are the same cut as a standard lo mount novak but the front is slightly different and would need to be fitted.

Top Bottom