• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    So me and my girlfriend are moving in together soon and I want there to be a gun in our house that she would feel comfortable with. I already have a beretta 92fs that I love using and am extremely comfortable with, but it is way to large for her small hands and she doesn't like it. She also doesn't have much strength to her and has troubles pulling back the slide on it. I was thinking about getting a smaller revolver that she could use. Any suggestions?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I would go with a heavier gun than an LCR for a house gun. If you don't have to conceal it, then the extra weight will help with recoil. But it sounds like a revolver is a good idea.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So me and my girlfriend are moving in together soon and I want there to be a gun in our house that she would feel comfortable with. I already have a beretta 92fs that I love using and am extremely comfortable with, but it is way to large for her small hands and she doesn't like it. She also doesn't have much strength to her and has troubles pulling back the slide on it. I was thinking about getting a smaller revolver that she could use. Any suggestions?

Any of the S&W J series. If you want a hammer 637 is a nice little gun. Word of warning...they kick like a mule. A K frame or larger is a much softer shooting revolver. My daughter HATES my S&W MP 9mm...thinks it kicks too much ( I think it is rather soft shooting) but she dearly loves shooting the S&W 66 K frame combat magnum with .38 special loads. I have had her shoot any .357 magnum rounds yet. :)

Best home defense gun IMO.....is a pump action shotgun with 00 buckshot. hands down.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Glock 19. It's a compact.

My wife couldn't rack the slide on my dads 92FS, but she can with my Glock 19. Plus, she liked the feel of the Glock 19 a lot better, and was WAY more accurate with it.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I would go with a heavier gun than an LCR for a house gun. If you don't have to conceal it, then the extra weight will help with recoil. But it sounds like a revolver is a good idea.

SP101 then if you want a heavier gun OP.

I figured for a woman with small hands the heavier the gun the less likely she will want to practice with/carry it it she decides to. That was the case for my fiance. Now that she has her LTCH my LCR has become her LCR somehow. :dunno: Oh well I still have plenty of other guns to carry.

Recoil on the LCR is not bad at all with .38spl, as long as it doesnt have full power .357 loaded in it my fiance can shoot it just fine.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Ruger SP101 is a good choice. small grip but enough weight to make the recoil from even a 357 magnum managable. My niece carries one and has shot magnum loads with no problem. A Crimson Trace grip makes them even more effective. You can also run 38 specials until she is comfortable before moving to 357 Mag or 38 Special +P.

GLOCK1982

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    PARKE CO.
    Glock 19 good choice. Maybe find one with the smaller profiled grip. My wife has always liked shooting her Dad's full sized all steel frame .357 revolver though. Its a heavy old dude, but the weight makes that a good choice for the "pop" factor.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Handguns especially full size gun like a glock 17 will work best in a house. It allows you to open doors, shoot one handed, and maneuver through tight spaces. The next Best option is an AR-15, with quality defensive ammo it pentrates less through drywall than a 9mm, and way less than a 12 guage. The next round is set for you if you miss, or have to deal with multiple people, and doesn't limit range very much.

remeber Shotguns still have to be aimed, a shotgun loaded with 8 rounds is heavy to hold one handed, or to swing up and down as you go through doors. It penetrates deeply, and if you use a birdshot type round, it may not penetrate hardly at all past 10 yards. If you get a semi auto you need to find rounds that cycle in it, if you get a pump you have to remember to rack the next round in .

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    Just my 2 cents. My wife has fairly small hands and has the same problem racking the slide on most of my autos. She now has 3 .380's and a .25. Her favorite is the Sig P238 in .380 the others are a Browning BDA 380 and 2 Taurus's one in 380 the other a 25. She had a S&W air weight in .38 but didn't keep it very long. She shot it twice and hated it.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Both my wifey to be and I have little kid hands. Jericho/baby eagle is really easy on the hands as far as grip, recoil, and effort to rack a round. I have it in 9mm and the recoil is so light a kid could shoot it one handed. Two downsides are that it's slide in frame and not alot to grip on to rack (just leave a round chambered if comfy) and few accessories. For a house gun, I doubt you'd need a whole lot of accessories though. Damn accurate and super reliable.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    A shotgun would be good since you are keeping as a home defense gun

:+1:

For some reason, a lot of people automatically start recommending handguns when it comes to defense. A shotgun is more than adequate to defend a home, and it cuts down on collateral risks (as opposed to a handgun). If you want something a woman is comfortable with, go with a 20 gauge and get some quality defense ammunition for it. The recoil is more than manageable and you will both have an easier time finding a target in the heat of the moment (IMO).

If you are wanting a handgun though, I love the P95. It's on the bigger side, so that does a lot to reduce recoil, and it's a a 9mm so there isn't much recoil in the first place. A 9mm round, just like a round from a 20 gauge shotgun, is going to stop any intruder as long as your shot placement is adequate. Again, I would invest in some quality defensive ammunition.

However, my in home go to gun is a 12 gauge sitting right next to the bed.

:twocents:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    You think that's bad, just wait until you're married :D

:(

Seriously though I cant wait to get married.

We are ment to be together like Tom & Katie, or uh I mean like Ben & Jen, or uh maybe like Arnold and Maria, or um what I ment to say was like Brad and Angie. Wait they arent married. CRAP! Im doomed.

Top Bottom