• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    the frame and recoil plug I don't get how they failed.

I have seen that failure on colt slides twice before. a good friend of mine in colorado has a stainless colt. his failed in the same location twice, once the entire front of the pistol came off. Basically to get around the galling issues early stainless guns had Colt added more carbon. Which in the wrong circumstances can work poorly. causing embrittlement issues.

Do a google search for "cracked slide on a stainless 1911" , this is not a new problem. If you looked at the images in the OP you will see that just behind the dustcover portion of the slide all the machining sit done relatively square. If you look at the inside of the slide of a smith and wesson M&P, or a glock, several other brands all of the machine cuts around the slide are done with a radius. This helps eliminate stress.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Keep in mind that this phase of testing may have been w/ ammo thats intentionally 20 percent hotter than normal loads.

the test may have been to TRY to MAKE them fail and these guns were the ones that lasted the longest at 12000 rounds.

I do not know this for a fact though.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    the frame and recoil plug I don't get how they failed.

I have seen that failure on colt slides twice before. a good friend of mine in colorado has a stainless colt. his failed in the same location twice, once the entire front of the pistol came off. Basically to get around the galling issues early stainless guns had Colt added more carbon. Which in the wrong circumstances can work poorly. causing embrittlement issues.

Do a google search for "cracked slide on a stainless 1911" , this is not a new problem. If you looked at the images in the OP you will see that just behind the dustcover portion of the slide all the machining sit done relatively square. If you look at the inside of the slide of a smith and wesson M&P, or a glock, several other brands all of the machine cuts around the slide are done with a radius. This helps eliminate stress.

Allegedly, that was the machining error in the first batch. The 2nd batch Colt sent was machined with a radius end mill, and did not break, which is why they won the contract. Allegedly.

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Well this will be an interesting story to follow. IF there was a machining issue that was fixed, great. Otherwise...:n00b: way to go, Colt.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm a 1911 fan, not a colt fan :)

Machining errors can happen, but a gun shouldn't fail at 12k rounds unless firing only +P loads only, and without stopping.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    Well "those" pistols did not win, but I will say it is definitly a big issue. Although I will defend a 1911 a everyday of the week. Also I own a Glock, Sig, Ruger, S&W and a Colt. And I love them all with no favorites.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I still think they shouldve gone with

sigsauer2.gif

But hey whatever.

I have a Colt 1911 XSE that will probably never see 12k rnds in its life. Im not so worried about it cracking.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm not surprised at all. Colt's guns are overpriced crap. Everyone knows that. The fact that they're even taken seriously at all is a complete joke. They would have to shut down production for probably a year and completely, and I really mean completely, revitalize the entire production of civilian guns for them to ever produce a decent product again.

The 1911 market is getting pretty bad. Kimber raised the bar in the 1990s but has since seriously dropped the ball. Springfield Armory's U.S. made models and STI might be all we have left. Every other company is putting out complete junk, especially Taurus and Colt.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'm not surprised at all. Colt's guns are overpriced crap. Everyone knows that. The fact that they're even taken seriously at all is a complete joke. They would have to shut down production for probably a year and completely, and I really mean completely, revitalize the entire production of civilian guns for them to ever produce a decent product again.

The 1911 market is getting pretty bad. Kimber raised the bar in the 1990s but has since seriously dropped the ball. Springfield Armory's U.S. made models and STI might be all we have left. Every other company is putting out complete junk, especially Taurus and Colt.

Watch if you start talking bad about Colt ARs!!:tinfoil: I have a Colt AR and owned another previously. They really aren't that great. Sigs and Kimbers have definitely hit the skids also........American-made stuff just isn't that great anymore. Too much cutting corners:xmad:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    Well "those" pistols did not win, but I will say it is definitly a big issue. Although I will defend a 1911 a everyday of the week. Also I own a Glock, Sig, Ruger, S&W and a Colt. And I love them all with no favorites.

ok those didn't, but that model did.

as far as the radius changes, I wish they would do that on their off the shelf models too.

Top Bottom