• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    A couple weeks ago I was in the market for a new CCW. I wanted something that I would carry consistently and had decent capacity.

In order to fulfill the first criterion it had to be thin and fairly light. These factors make it hard to fit the capacity that I desired (10+). The only weapon I've found so far that fit the bill, was the Kel-Tec P-11.

I went ahead and ordered one and finally got to pick it up today. This will be an ongoing review cataloging all impressions I have about this gun.

06 DEC 12
    Upon picking up the pistol at the dealer, and handling it for the first time.. my stomach sunk. Here are my initial thoughts:

• The slide rack was very clunky and inconsistent.
    • The finish couldn't decide if it wanted to be glossy, or matte.
    • The slide stop was near impossible to use as a release.
    • Both sights had a good amount of extraneous plastic debris from manufacture.
    I'm thinking... What did I get myself into? I knew from the get go that the KT pistols are pretty rough out of the box.. I planned on going through and de-burring where needed, and polishing other areas. Upon getting the gun home, I disassembled it and cleaned out any floating plastic.. There was only one small piece to be found (although much de-burring will need to be done).. While it was apart I went ahead and installed the KT belt clip and factory pinky extension on the magazine.

This post will contain a bit of text, so here's a picture to give you a break.

2012-12-06%252017.39.24.jpg

I loaded up some snap-caps and immediately noticed how gritty the magazine lips were.. I keep going, knowing that this weapon likes a 'break in' period. I also notice that the follower in the magazine does not like to do it's job properly.. Every round I push in does a super nose dive, making it a difficult process. I cycle the gun approximately 30 times. The first 5 feeds required assistance as the rounds were hanging. After that only 1 of 5 would hang up.. Still not acceptable.

I went ahead and did about 5 minutes of dry fire exercises and had to stop due to a blistering trigger finger. I will definitely be picking up a trigger shoe for this thing. The trigger is STOUT! I did a bit of research and knew going into this that it was a heavy trigger, the upside is that it breaks very crisply and consistently in the same spot. The reset however seems to vary.

I don't think I'm going to take it to the range until I pull it apart and do a thorough inspection and de-burr.. I will try to accomplish that tomorrow afternoon so I can put some rounds through it in the evening.

On the bright side, the pistol is very comfortable to carry IWB even with the belt clip. The size is EXACTLY what I was looking for and the grip texture is very nice (although lacking on the rear). I have a Hogue Hand-all JR. I'm going to fit and see how that feels.

TL;DR.. Very rough out of box, will require some cleanup and many failure free trips to the range to prove reliability.

The next installment will include a range report and more insight into this handgun.

*UPDATE* 11 DEC 12

I finally got to visit the range today.. The setback is embarrassing, but I'll tell you anyway. I pulled the pistol apart and was very careful to do so inside a plastic bag. Everything went smoothly and I was happy with how simple the weapon is. I took an emery file and cleaned up the rails on the frame, as well as the guides in the slide. I cleaned up the inner magazine lips and greased the trigger bar and slide. Did not do the 'fluff-and-buff' procedure, just worked on what I thought needed attention.. Upon putting the pistol back together, I somehow managed to launch the trigger bar.. In the state our garage is currently there was no hope finding it.

This is the first time I can testify to Kel-Tec's service. This incident happened Friday afternoon and I placed an order on their website for the trigger bar, and a trigger shoe. Both parts arrived in a nice bubble envelope last night.. Friday - Monday! I installed the parts this morning and decided I didn't like the feel of the trigger shoe, it was very wide and not 'normal' feeling to me.

Range Report
    Went to the LGS range today around 2.. I took the lady so she could get accustomed to the new .45 (bedside pistol), and I shot the P-11. I started with 30 rounds of Federal 115GN FMJ. Zero malfunctions. The pistol was very accurate at 10 yards holding about a 4" group at a steady pace, and 6-8 inch group at a quicker rate of fire. This is MORE than adequate for a hopefully never used carry pistol.

My goal for this trip was to run a couple different types of ammo and see if I could find one she didn't like.. Next up I shot 30 rounds of Winchester 115GN FMJ in the white box. First magazine was flawless. Second magazine ran well but the slide did not lock back after the last round. The third magazine had the same problem. I continued to shoot another 40 rounds through it without a problem.

I still need to do some research on why the slide didn't lock after firing the last round, but that being the only issue within the first 100 rounds, I can't complain. I have some Blazer Brass to shoot through it next trip, and I'm going to try to pick up some Remington to test as well.

The only faults I have found so far are the dreaded magazine rattle, and the two instances where the slide didn't lock after the last round. I had absolutely NO issues with running the gun.. It ate everything without a hiccup.

After the first range outing, I am very pleased with this handgun. The recoil was not as abrupt as I envisioned, and the pistol performed well.

TL;DR Shot 100 rounds of Federal and Winchester. No failures in feeding, ejecting, or firing. Only issue was with the slide not locking after last round (twice)

*UPDATE* 08 FEB 13

I no longer own this pistol. I put another 100 rounds through it after the last review and it fired every time. There was still issue with the slide lock after the last round. The reason I sold this pistol was based soley on the fact that I needed to consolidate my collection. I didn't want a 'carry' gun, a 'range' gun, a 'bedside' gun.. I wanted one platform that worked well in every area. Shooting the P11 recreationally was more of a chore than anything. It was painful and gritty. I remain neutral on the subject of Kel-Tec. I don't feel as if I had a bad experience with the handgun, but I was not excited about it.

I chose to go with a Glock 19 and am very happy. I shot my father's 17 at a steel shoot last month and it just worked. It's smooth, weight was good, and it ROCKED. I picked up the 19 and a GREAT holster and the extra 1/8" is no problem at all.

My final thought on the Kel-Tec P11.. It's a good gun for the price. It isn't exceptional, but good. After some rounds, I found it to be reliable and the last 200+ rounds fired every time. If you are interested in joining the population of carrying individuals and cannot afford a Glock/SA/1911/XD, etc.. then the P11 is the perfect choice. It has great capacity (10+1) at a perfect size.

Last edited:

Bandit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    I have had my P-11 for a few years and carry it often. It is not a "range gun" or a "target pistol" however mine keeps some pretty tight groups. It is a great, inexpensive CC pistol that does not jam....mine has handled everything I put through it.

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Very good and detailed review. I bought a P11 about 3 years ago to carry during the summer and occasionally carried it in an ankle holster. I have to say though I hated the trigger on it, and the recoil felt a lot more violent then of something similar size like the Kahr's or my Glock 26. Kinda neat they can use S&W 59 mags though.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    [*]The slide stop was near impossible to use as a release.

It's a stop and NOT a release. If you use it as a release (like on other pistols) you're going to kill your thumb, and eventually round off the portion that locks the slide back.

I've had to get use to just pulling the slide back slightly and letting it go to release it. No need to use the thumb on the slide stop while pulling the slide back. I know it's not what you're used to, but you're gonna have to get used to it :D

The trigger will get lighter after about 200 rounds or so .. (or 500 dry fires w/ snap caps).. It's about 10 pounds out of the box and should settle at about 8 to 8.5 pounds.

If you get a trigger shoe, use some blue loctite on the retaining screw to keep it from slipping off.

I have to use a triangle sight picture to get excellent accuracy when shooting at the range.

Also, +1 on the rubber slip on grip.

Inside the trigger guard, my gun had uneven mold marks and the raised portion ate into my finger so I used an exacto knife and trimed it smooth. Inspect yours for something similar. Also had a rough mold mark on the rear of the grip just below where the serial number is. This chafed my hand a bit too so I smoothed it out.

If you look around on KTOG.org, there is a fix for the mag follower not behaving. Occasionally the bullets will rattle due to this. I've never had a feed failure because of it, although, YMMV.

When you put it back together, use a good quality grease on the slide rails instead of just oil. Mine prefers it and feels a bit better as well when racking.

Looking forward to another update :)

(how much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking ?? I got mine for $250 new from a LGS. Mine is also OD green w/ blued slide)

Last edited:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Well trying to be as positive as possible, congrats.....I think?

I would never trust a gun made by Kel-Tec with my life, and their fit and finish is shameful. To each his own, some people seem to be happy with them. I have had two different Kel-Tecs break internally in my presence.

As you can tell I am very torn between congratulations and screaming "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!" or "KILL IT WITH FIRE"!!

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I own 4 kel-tecs and find the one's I have to be great little firearms. I have had a P-11 and P-32 for many years and have had a PF-9 and a sub-2000 for a little over two years now.

Never had to do a thing to any of them. Find the ammo they like and shoot. Are they Glocks, Sigs or Smiths? No, but they are good pocket guns and bugs.

And yes I do trust my life to them when I carry them. I own many different brands and I trust all of them with my life.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The P11 was one of the first guns I ever bought...

Carried like a dream - didn't like to shoot it.

Anyhow: Mag rattle - I took the mags apart and then "bent upwards" the loop of spring that the follower sits directly on top of.

This gave me a few more mm worth of length / tension and eliminated the rattle.

KTOG is a WEALTH of information.

-J-

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    11/12/12 UPDATE

Update is at the end of the original post, highlighted in RED

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    02/08/13 UPDATE

Update is at the end of the original post, highlighted in RED

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Having owned mine for quite a while, I'd have to say that it was a fair review based on your circumstances. :yesway:

I do not find range time w/ mine to be a chore, rather, I enjoy the challenge. There are much better guns, but not at that price point.

:)

Top Bottom