• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Is anyone else a fan of the Pistolet Makaraova (Russian, Bulgarian, East German, or Chinese)? I've picked up two recently (both Bulgarian), and have to say that I am impressed with what great little guns they are. Of course, they are old Soviet derivatives of the Walther PP (there's a surprise) but are much simpler and, I think, more rugged (and they don't try to amputate your thumb). They're built like a T34 tank. A total of 27 parts, including the magazine. Every part does at least double-duty. Accurate as anything I've ever shot. Small enough for pocket carry (with some pants). The 9X18MM ammo (Russian, at least) is about half the cost of 9MM Luger or .380ACP. I know they're "Commie guns", but I think that they're just neater than Hell! :rockwoot:

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    Well after browsing around a bit, the CZ82 has caught my eye. I may need to stop by Falls City Firearms and put my hands on one to see how it feels.

njbenja06

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Columbus, IN
    I am just a commie military firearm guy in general. I have two makarov like guns currently and have been scouting out some more. I have a cz 82 that I absolutely love and a FEG pa63 that is good for what I paid. I am looking at saving for a legitimate makarov, maybe a norinco type 66. Love the ammo prices though as well

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Nope! Have 3 here! One commercial Russian, one Bulgy and a cheeky East German that looks like it has been through WW3.

What's more to say? Effective caliber (despite the himing and hawing of the poly gun sorta pistol crowd), ergonomically and mechanically accurate, very simple mechanism, easy to take down and completely strip once instructed, never say die magazines, all steel construction, fire control parts so well hardened that regular blueing doesn't color correctly (thus the purplish color they take). They are designed to last a while and I fully intend on passing down mine to my kids, along with a Remington 870 Wingmaster.

I am actually considering having my IJ-70 taken over to Alan Moore here in Avon, get the rear sight wallowed out a bit and front sight cut for a Novak for a much better sight picture.

You know, having worked at a range and seen alot of them, plus the ones I have, I have yet, YET to see one fail at the range. Horrible ammo, yes, but nothing the gun didn't cause (saw one burp at a range, but the primer was in backwards in the round, the ONLY issue the fella' had).

My only gripe for the caliber is that Speer dropped their Gold Dot. Boy, are they missing out and Hornady cashing in (critical defense, XTP, though I don't like either). Yeah, ball is best for penetration, but the old testing on the Gold Dots they used to have met the specs, just not enough demand I guess...

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My only gripe for the caliber is that Speer dropped their Gold Dot. Boy, are they missing out and Hornady cashing in (critical defense, XTP, though I don't like either). Yeah, ball is best for penetration, but the old testing on the Gold Dots they used to have met the specs, just not enough demand I guess...

Roger, that. I carry with Hornady Custom 95 grain XTP and usually use LVE 95 grain FMJ for the range. I've found that the cheapest places to get LVE (and other Russian-made 9X18) are Classic Firearms - Military Surplus Guns and Rifles, Saiga Firearms, Classic Guns, Surplus Ammo, and more! and AIM Surplus Home. Of course, all of the Russian stuff is steel (or "bi-metal" as they say) but that's what Maks were made for.

A common misunderstanding is thinking that Radoms, FEGs and CZs are "Makarov"s because they say "9MM Makarov" on them. That just means that they are chambered for 9X18MM Makarov ammunition. Only the "PM" (Pistolet Makarova) - Russian, Bulgarian, East German, or Norinco - is a true Makarov pistol.

Glad to see that I'm not alone! ;)

VikingWarlord

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 1, 2012
    Noblesville
    Well after browsing around a bit, the CZ82 has caught my eye. I may need to stop by Falls City Firearms and put my hands on one to see how it feels.

I'm really thinking about picking one of these up too. They're just about dirt cheap right now and I've heard they're a lot of fun.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I'm another fan, owning several. They are my favorite centerfire pistol in that size range; for all the reasons mentioned, plus (one screw, no pins, complete detail strip with almost no tools, etc... ala Glock, and 1911). A truly great design.

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    My Bulgarian Makarov is my favorite carry piece. Picked it up used off these very boards, some of the best money I've ever spent. Usually pack the mag's full for either XTP's (summer) or S&B 95gr Ball (winter) for carry, Brown Bear bulk for range :)

Haven't seen a Chinese Mak before...something new to look for! Also if only I could run up on some more magazines that come in under a twenty bill.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I pack a PA63 and will soon be changing to my P64 when I get a good IWB holster for it. I am not to keen on the aluminum ramp on the PA63.

Both have upgraded springs and are nice shooters, though I have web bite issues if I dont grip them just right.

Now there is a thought... folks get plastic surgery for looks, but how about web of the hand surgery to remove excess web?

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    A common misunderstanding is thinking that Radoms, FEGs and CZs are "Makarov"s because they say "9MM Makarov" on them. That just means that they are chambered for 9X18MM Makarov ammunition. Only the "PM" (Pistolet Makarova) - Russian, Bulgarian, East German, or Norinco - is a true Makarov pistol.

While this is true, I know many people who feel the "best" gun chambered in Makarov is the CZ 82. I also have enjoyed the P64, sometimes incorrectly referred to as the "Radom". While the Pistolet Makarovas are fine weapons, I prefer the CZ.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I just picked up a Bulgarian (and got a set of military grips for $10.00). I made a vow to myself that I would take home the first Makarov that came in the shop to replace one I got rid of and I kept that vow. Just got it last week.

There is a non import marked Russian on gunbroker that I want pretty bad. It's up to $300+ but I imagine it is going to go North of $600.

I would love to have it.:):

gcoop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have an East German Makarov that I have had for over 20 years. It is in very good condition and has many rounds of Sellier&Bellot FMJ and CorBon HP through it with no problems. Definitely a keeper!

justknapping

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Nashville
    As has been said what's not to love if you are looking for a inexpensive (not cheap) reliable durable small auto. and the 9x18 isn't impossible to find ammo for sometimes it can be a challenge at a local shop but as long as you plan ahead they can almost always get it or you can find it online as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Doubt that I'll ever have a Mak.... but I lust after a buddy's dad's EG Stasi- marked pistol. *sigh*

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    Oh yeah, I have an IJ70 that I used as my primary carry gun up til a few years ago when I started carrying my XD45. The only thing I dont love about it is the cost of 380.
    Built like a tank, love it!

Top Bottom