• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    I'm looking for a 22 semi-auto for a range gun and also for use as a backup at home. My budget is in the $300 range so I'm thinking about something like a S&W 22a, Ruger Mark3 or some of the basic models from Sig, ISSC, etc.
    I'm a little flexible so there seems to be lots of choices and I'd appreciate some opinions before I wander into the LGS.:dunno:

Thanks

Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I have a 22a and find it to be ammo finicky, but I also have a Ruger 22/45 that will shoot anything I feed it and has not let me down yet and I do not see that happening as long as it is fairly clean. PLus it is an excellent range gun for .22 practice.

rbhargan

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2012
    Carmel/Liberty
    My wife and I are big fans of the Ruger Mk3. The only downside is that field stripping it for cleaning (and then reassembling) can be very frustrating until you learn the nuances involved.

Best bet is to try a variety of weapons and see how they feel in your hand and whether you are comfortable with the trigger pull.

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I've got the 22/45 LITE an OUTSTANDING firearm. I highly recommend you take a serious look at Rugers offerings.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    ...I own the 22A SW and the Ruger SR22...

The Sr22 runs circles around the 22A

I may even sell my 22A. It is cool and I have a nice Bushnell red dot atop it.

Tack driver fo' sho'

Both are good handguns - my SR22 is a newer purchase for me.

BlueCow

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2012
    i've got a m&p22 and absolutely love it. never a jam, comes with a 12 round mag. i paid $329 for it about 6 weeks ago.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I prefer the mkiii 22/45, I will say takedown and reassembly can be a pain but an 11usd bushing from Sam Lam fixes that issue and will also allow the magazines to drop freely as the bushing replaces the Magazine disconnect. There are many configurations of this model to suit your needs and parts are plentiful as well. So if you decide to do more than a HD backup and take it plinking you'll be very pleased.

SANDART70

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Avon
    I have a SIG mosquito I enjoy shooting this plinker but keep in mind this gun also is anal about what ammo you run through it. Sig recommends using CCI mini mag, if you use anything else you will have issues.:yesway:

theundeadelvis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    SR22 is not ammo picky at all. And it's surprising accurate for what it is. I just sold mine, but I will be replacing it in the future.

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a Walther P22 which I really like, I found some bulk ammo it runs on just fine.

Also though one of my favorite 22 pistols is the Beretta 21a Bobcat. The tilt barrel is a cool design and easy for anyone to load even if they can't rack the slide. I just got mine threaded and its the perfect supressor host. You can easily find them for under $300 and it fits nice in your pocket if you want to carry it that way.

Beretta21aOutbackII_zps6cd2d99f.jpg

Beretta21aMagsOutbackII_zps7e935183.jpg

Last edited:

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Ruger SR22P.
    Eats everything.
    Accurate as you are.
    All the right features in all the right places such as safety, mag release, etc.
    Drop free mag.
    Its a Ruger.
    Can be dry fired.
    Two sizes of grips.
    Great for practice!
    Approx $300.

B6240

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    South Central IN
    I have a S&W 22A I love it no ammo problems yet with different kinds of bulk ammo. When I was looking for a 22 pistol I just handled as many as I could and settled on the 22A I liked the feel better than the rest. They are all quality pistols.

Rey B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I have had a 22S for 5 years or so. My only complaint is that when my daughter comes to the range with me I never get to shoot it. Runs just fine on bulk ammo and the easiest field strip I have seen.

Top Bottom