• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Saw the Sig P290, and it looks interesting as a compact way to carry 9mm. Does anyone have any experience with it?

According to Sig's website, MSRP is $570 (P290). GM in Castleton has one in the case for $699, and Cabela's website shows it "on sale" for $550, regular price $700. We all know that GM and Cabela's don't sell cheap, but a regular price that is MSRP + $130. WTF?

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    There are quite a few threads out here talking about the p290. Most of them bash it pretty bad... Sig makes a great gun! Don't be swayed...

I will say this however... The P290RS is a much better and easier to operate 9mm. The RS stands for restrike. I don't have experience with the P290 but from what I read and see out here, the P290 has some issues with Light Primer Strike... and without the restrike capability you would have to re load the round into the chamber because the hammer is dual action only but it's only strikeable after you rack the slide...
    The RS on the other hand is true revolver type DAO. It will throw the hammer with every trigger pull. I have had a few LPS with a few of my reloads, but with an additional trigger pull you're popping rounds again.
    That will pretty much sum up the other thread's opinions. I have the RS with Laser and it cost me 560.00, 2nd owner, made in 2012. Great CC weapon. Reliable, simple, and made in the US!

AlwaysVigilant

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2013
    Michigan, by way of Indianapolis
    Saw the Sig P290, and it looks interesting as a compact way to carry 9mm. Does anyone have any experience with it?

According to Sig's website, MSRP is $570 (P290). GM in Castleton has one in the case for $699, and Cabela's website shows it "on sale" for $550, regular price $700. We all know that GM and Cabela's don't sell cheap, but a regular price that is MSRP + $130. WTF?

I am wearing one right now while sitting at my desk at work, and no one is the wiser. I love this gun. It hides like a J frame, is very accurate, and for a small gun handles the 9mm really well. It eats everything I have fed it, steel cased practice ammo all the way to the good stuff. I have the RS model which has the re-strike hammer system...a nice plus.

Here are the drawbacks:

-The trigger is NOT something to write home about, which is similar to many guns this size, but nothing like a Kahr, which is excellent by comparison. This is easily overcome with trigger time, but still.

-The mags are tough to seat when loaded to capacity, especially the extended ones. This may change as the springs soften up. And is overcome with a little manliness.

-It is heavier than some of its competition too, but honestly, I really like that.

-Holsters are still hard to find in any variety. I use a DeSantis Nemesis for the pocket and a custom made, tuckable kydex for AIWB.

-The grip texture is very aggressive against the skin, but perfect for the pocket. I applied some rubberized grip material called "traction grips", that adds it to some essential spots and softens it up...great product.

Everything else is a huge win from this little guy. I carry it often in NPE's, and at work. Great gun.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Sig actually lowered MSRP quite a bit for 2013. Their old MSRP was around $750, I was at a Gander Mountain in Dayton a few weeks ago and saw an original (not an RS) 2 tone for that much. Then again they had a 2 tone Bersa 380 for $499 so.....

Sig learned that they didn't sell a lot of 290s for that much so they lowered the price on them a good deal.

Here's my little write up on the 290 I did a few weeks ago:

I have a 290RS and I can say that I love it.

The trigger takes a while getting used to, but after that you can chew the center out of a silhouette target at 18 yards.

Only issue I've really had is it had problems locking the slide back on the last round. I took it apart, bent the retaining spring up a bit to relieve tension, and polished the back of the pin, works great now.

It's a tad heavy for a polymer gun, 1.5 pounds, but I like the weight and recoil is nothing IMO.

I kidney carry mine and it conceals nicely and hardly ever prints.

I have shot most of the rounds with the 6 round mag, I find it very comfortable and my pinky hangs completely off the frame. I also fairly hate polymer guns just because of the feel. For me, the 290 feels great because of the pattern on the frame, it's very secure.

I have shot just shy of 600 rounds through mine, and the only time I ever had a light strike or FTEs was when I used some 50 yeard old, berdan primed, corrosive, Interarms ammo. Any new factory ammo or handloads I've have 0 issues.

After the first initial cleaning before I shot it, I put 500 rounds through it without cleaning and had 0 issues, and I would have gone more without but I was worried about that corrosive crap.

I love the little thing, and like all pistols, the trigger takes some time getting used to, but once you're used to it, you can be pretty good with it.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I had a P290 (not RS version). I like the fit & finish of the Sig, but overall, I was not in love with the gun. It is a bit heavy (especially for a summer CCW) & the trigger was not the best. I had no qualms about getting rid of it when a good trade opportunity come about.

Ultimately, I replace my P290 with a S&W Shield 9mm. I love my Shield so much more than I ever loved my P290.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I had a Sig P250 sub compact --- which I believe is the bigger brother of the p290 ---and hated it. The trigger pull was obscenely long and it was too big for its own good.

Long story short, I'm betting those same problems exist for the P290. Next gun show you're at, dry fire a Kahr CM9 vs a Sig P290...then tell me which trigger you'd rather be pulling if your life depended on it. I looked at P290's for a while, but I bought the Kahr. YMMV.

Also, check out this informative forum post:

Sub-Compact SHOWDOWN!!!!!!!!!!!! - Handguns - TNGunOwners.com

Top Bottom