• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I recently purchased my first single action revolver as I was thinking of getting into cowboy action shooting and wanted to try the gun out for fit and feel.
    I got a Ruger "New Vaquero" .357/.38 in stainless steel with a 4" barrel.
    I have read that the New vaqueros have internal locks under the grip panels but mine does not have one. I do not care for an internal lock as it goes against the KISS (keep it simple stupid) philosophy and seems unnecessary but I was wondering about the lack of a lock. Did certain models just not have one or do I have a gun that pre-dates the lock. I purchased it new and the seriel # is 512-xxxxx.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    so will this effect what replacement grips I need to buy? I want to get some smooth rosewood grips. first off because they just look good and secondly...

there is a rather sharp 90 degree point right where the soft (non callused) part in the middle of my palm contacts the grip and after a few dozen repetitions of quick draw practice it gets a bit raw.

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    Actually your set will be easy, Get a set of XR3 RED grips and the flat front part that you have circled in red, just sand that face down, Till it fits and you will have to make the hole bigger for the grip pin. Use a little grease around the frame pin then put hot glue on the grip hole a press and hold. Comes off easy and locks up tight. I was told to use JB weld in the hole but didn't like that. I also had to work the inside because mine has the internal lock and you don't, And they look better than those black cheese grader grips from the factory!

so will this effect what replacement grips I need to buy? I want to get some smooth rosewood grips. first off because they just look good and secondly...

there is a rather sharp 90 degree point right where the soft (non callused) part in the middle of my palm contacts the grip and after a few dozen repetitions of quick draw practice it gets a bit raw.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Your grips appear to be to narrow. Mt Vaquero grips are about 1/32nd above the frame. The grip border can be a bit sharp, 800 grit sandpaper will take of the point.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Actually your set will be easy, Get a set of XR3 RED grips and the flat front part that you have circled in red, just sand that face down, Till it fits and you will have to make the hole bigger for the grip pin. Use a little grease around the frame pin then put hot glue on the grip hole a press and hold. Comes off easy and locks up tight. I was told to use JB weld in the hole but didn't like that. I also had to work the inside because mine has the internal lock and you don't, And they look better than those black cheese grader grips from the factory!

Thanks for posting this pic., I have my Ruger .357, out looking at it, and my stock wood grips, fit almost the same way..... I do have a question, how does the middle of your palm hit there? That is where my middle finger "hits" .....

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I'm sorry I feel I need to make a small clarification, it isn't the frame itself that has the sharp corner but the plastic grip. It has a border around the checkering that has the sharp pointed corner. I am also looking for a place I can get a western gunbelt rig that will look good and function well without breaking the bank.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Thanks for posting this pic., I have my Ruger .357, out looking at it, and my stock wood grips, fit almost the same way..... I do have a question, how does the middle of your palm hit there? That is where my middle finger "hits" .....

when I reach and quickly grasp the gun the middle of my palm slide over it, also I have been practicing spinning while reholstering and that sometimes rubs quite a bit

Top Bottom