• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Given the popularity of the 1911, I would assume there are lots of articles, youtube videos, and other sources of information on getting one to feed that 'jams' excessively regardless of what brand or type magazine or ammo is used. Any recommendations...???

Since it's a cheapie 'generic' one, I'd rather take the risk of ruining it by trying to fix it myself than just spend a bunch of money having someone else do it, because part of the goal is to LEARN something in the process, plus I don't have the money to sink into it, or the need, since I've another quite functional 1911.

The bullets do the classic 'nose-dive' then stub-out on the frame/barrel gap, regardless of what magazine is used, and those magazines ALL function in several other 1911's. Polishing the barrel and frame ramps did nothing. I then took just a bit of material off to soften the sharp edges, but didn't want to take much off until I read more or could see some helpful videos on the topic.

I used to know a gunsmith who allegedly could make a 1911 feed an empty case, so I know they CAN be almost jam-proof. Unfortunately, mine isn't.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Wilson mags should fix it, if not, then something is out of spec and you're going to need some measuring tools and kuhnhausen's manuals.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Good Questions by LPMAN and if you are going to do your own "learning" Kuhnhausen's manuals are the definative work.

Despite building great mags Wilson 47D and or ETMs DO NOT fix every problem with every 1911. I am guessing you may have a Rock Island and I am also betting your frame feed ramp is out of spec OR your magazine catch is holding the magazines too low. Does the pistol only Jam on the first rounds out of a fully loaded 8rd magazine?

I am also nervous about how much you altered / rounded off the feed ramp, these dimension are CRITICAL.

Test: When the magazine is inserted can you press it up into the frame a little higher? IF so try holding it pressed fully up and firing. If this fixes the issue and you have a Rock Island, call them and they will send you a new mag catch. Or you can get and EGW "higher" catch.

Other Idea:

Try a good quality GI tapered feed lip 7rd magazine with 230 Ball ammo, JMB new a little something when he designed the original. Wilson's and many other wadcutter designs do not work well in ALL 1911's. If this fixes the issue you may have a few different issues contributing to the malfunctions.

Welcome to the wild world of 1911 reliabilty! You now know why folks spend probably too much money to send even high end 1911's to Master gunsmiths. Good news is that there are some realy sharp 1911 folks on board here who can probably figure out what course of action you need to take to get yours running well.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    If it is not feeding correctly, you may have a mag spring/follower problem, or the feed ramp is not polished (polished, not recut), or the barrel may need to be "throated" to feed properly.

I use Wilson magazines exclusively, however, there may be other brands that work as well. I use Wilson mags as the mags can be disassembled, cleaned, and new springs and followers installed.

The magazines would be a good starting point.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Given the popularity of the 1911, I would assume there are lots of articles, youtube videos, and other sources of information on getting one to feed that 'jams' excessively regardless of what brand or type magazine or ammo is used. Any recommendations...???

Since it's a cheapie 'generic' one, I'd rather take the risk of ruining it by trying to fix it myself than just spend a bunch of money having someone else do it, because part of the goal is to LEARN something in the process, plus I don't have the money to sink into it, or the need, since I've another quite functional 1911.

The bullets do the classic 'nose-dive' then stub-out on the frame/barrel gap, regardless of what magazine is used, and those magazines ALL function in several other 1911's. Polishing the barrel and frame ramps did nothing. I then took just a bit of material off to soften the sharp edges, but didn't want to take much off until I read more or could see some helpful videos on the topic.

I used to know a gunsmith who allegedly could make a 1911 feed an empty case, so I know they CAN be almost jam-proof. Unfortunately, mine isn't.
    The M1911 Pistols Organization Forums Site - Gunsmithing Sticky Threads

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Good Questions by LPMAN and if you are going to do your own "learning" Kuhnhausen's manuals are the definative work.

Despite building great mags Wilson 47D and or ETMs DO NOT fix every problem with every 1911. I am guessing you may have a Rock Island and I am also betting your frame feed ramp is out of spec OR your magazine catch is holding the magazines too low. Does the pistol only Jam on the first rounds out of a fully loaded 8rd magazine?

I am also nervous about how much you altered / rounded off the feed ramp, these dimension are CRITICAL.

Test: When the magazine is inserted can you press it up into the frame a little higher? IF so try holding it pressed fully up and firing. If this fixes the issue and you have a Rock Island, call them and they will send you a new mag catch. Or you can get and EGW "higher" catch.

Other Idea:

Try a good quality GI tapered feed lip 7rd magazine with 230 Ball ammo, JMB new a little something when he designed the original. Wilson's and many other wadcutter designs do not work well in ALL 1911's. If this fixes the issue you may have a few different issues contributing to the malfunctions.

Welcome to the wild world of 1911 reliabilty! You now know why folks spend probably too much money to send even high end 1911's to Master gunsmiths. Good news is that there are some realy sharp 1911 folks on board here who can probably figure out what course of action you need to take to get yours running well.

If it is a RIA, why not just send it in and take advantage of the lifetime warranty?
    I've never had an issue with either one of mine. they load and shoot anything from cast, FMJ, and hollow point.

Top Bottom