• Which would you buy?

• Total voters

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    This coming months paycheck, I'm really wanting to go check out Beech Grove Firearms and range. I'm also hoping to make a purchase of a Shield in 9 or the new XDs in 9. What are my chances of finding either there in early August?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I've got a XDm, service model and really like it. But I'm not married to the brand, so I'm thinking if I get a smallish 9mm and were to pick between those two, I'd go for the Shield.

Old Reliable

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I compared the two recently and determined that it came down to grip safety vs. thumb safety and regular 3 dot sights vs. fiber optics sights. I happened to choose the shield because I wanted to put night sights on it anyway and I like the idea of a thumb safety better than the grip safety (although I would prefer neither). The shield was a bit cheaper, as well, but not enough to be a factor for me. I thought the triggers on both guns were very good with a slight, slight edge to the xds, but again not enough difference for me to worry about. I would be happy to own either one. My shield is easy to carry and because of this I find myself not being lazy and carrying more often, which is one of the best attributes a weapon can have. I think both pistols can accomplish this. As far as finding them... Well, I found my Shield at Triple G, which was only the second one I had seen in person. I see the xds more often, but it is still an in demand gun and can be tough to locate in your LGS. I know Orion has an XDS 9 in stock at the moment, but not a Shield.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Had a shield. Sold it and bought an xds.

like the guy above said, it depends if you'd rather have a 1911 style grip safety or a thumb safety. Personally, I prefer to only have passive safeties on my carry gun. I also found the safety on the shield very small and I don't think I could reliably operate it under stress. It's too bad nobody makes a larger aftermarket thumb safety for the shield.

The xds also just feels better in my hand. Definitely fondle both before buying to see which one feels better to you.

either way, you can't go wrong. They're both great guns.

Barista

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    South Bend..."Go Irish"
    I would go with the Shield. I'm not a fan of safeties and with the Shield I can turn the safety off but I cannot do anything about the XDS grip safety. To me a grip safety is as terrible an idea as a magazine safety. I just don't prefer safeties at all; therefore, I would go with the Shield.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I like the grip on the Shield better. I like the sights on the XDS better. I like the price on the Shield better. I like the "don't have to use it" thumb safety on the Shield better than the "gotta use it unless you wanna use duct tape" grip safety on the XDS. It really depends on which attribute you value over the others.

I'm not buying either, but my wife picked the Shield and its enjoyable when I shoot hers.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I went to my LGS with intentions on buying an XDm. I fondled it and then the M&P VTAC caught my eye. I figured I better at least try it out. I totally found the ergonomics of the M&P to be more comfortable and went with that. I'm thinking the Shield is what I'll get if I can find one.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I would go with the Shield. I'm not a fan of safeties and with the Shield I can turn the safety off

I do not agree with this at all. If you have a safety that can be engaged, you must train to disengage it. Otherwise, by Murphy's law, when you need your weapon, it'll never fail that the safety will have been unintentionally engaged.

The xds is all passive safeties. I don't even notice the grip safety, and it doesn't matter how I grip the gun, the grip safety gets engaged when held every time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I do not agree with this at all. If you have a safety that can be engaged, you must train to disengage it. Otherwise, by Murphy's law, when you need your weapon, it'll never fail that the safety will have been unintentionally engaged.

The xds is all passive safeties. I don't even notice the grip safety, and it doesn't matter how I grip the gun, the grip safety gets engaged when held every time.

I've yet to have a thumb safety turn itself on. I have failed to engage a grip safety with a hasty draw. YMMV.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Grip safety on xd line is irrelevant. i never even realize it's there. maybe some people have really loose skin or something. I've owned two different xd pistols. . bottom line go shoot both and decide. Quite frankly, that's the opinion that matters most..

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    You can't go wrong with either. I've sold many of both models and I have XDs buyers who've ended up getting Shields and vice versa. It's a lot like choosing between 2 great brands of running shoes. You'll perform a little better in the one that fits you best. Personally, I've owned 3 XD and XDM configurations and prefer them over comparable sized M&P's but in this category I love my Shield. It fits my hand better than the XDs. The factory Shield trigger is better than any of the other M&P series guns and it seems to have amazing accuracy and low recoil for such a small frame gun. It's a pleasure to shoot for long periods of time and the only tupperware gun of that size that I can actually keep decent groups at 25yrds. with. Hickok45 does a good comparison on youtube between the Shield and the XDs.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I've yet to have a thumb safety turn itself on. I have failed to engage a grip safety with a hasty draw. YMMV.

It can and does happen. A thumb safety can be brushed the wrong way and engaged when holstering/unholstering. If you are going to completely ignore this fact, then you're just being ignorant.

im not saying it happens frequently, but it does and can happen. It may not ever happen to you, but to just completely dismiss it as a possibility is ignorance.

it would be best if there was a way to remove the thumb safety completely if you don't intend to ever train with/for it.

jaeisber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    Westfield
    I like the XDS. I have an XDM9 3.8, so Im a bit biased. They are great guns. but as others have said, you really cant go wrong with either...just choose which ever feels better in the hand.

Last time I was at BGF a few weeks back, they had an XDS in stock. Pretty sure it was a 9. When I was looking for my XDM around the same time, I had called a few different places (Liberty Arms, Indy Trading, and one other I cannot remember right now) and they all had the XDS in stock.

strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    It can and does happen. A thumb safety can be brushed the wrong way and engaged when holstering/unholstering. If you are going to completely ignore this fact, then you're just being ignorant.

im not saying it happens frequently, but it does and can happen. It may not ever happen to you, but to just completely dismiss it as a possibility is ignorance.

it would be best if there was a way to remove the thumb safety completely if you don't intend to ever train with/for it.

This happened to me today with my sr9c. Must have brushed the gun up against the bed of the work truck and switched the safety on. This also wasn't the first time thats happened, I've brushed safeties on and off (1911) quite a few times, so much so that I check them quite frequently throughout the day.

O and my vote went to the xds for the lack of the thumb safety. Both good guns but my preference is the springer since I've never failed to disengage the grip safety.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom