• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billybob44_Jr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2011
    Southern, IN/Louisvi
    What do you all think is the best beginner concealed weapon to carry for a newb? I'm still waiting on the lifetime permit, but I would like to buy the equipment and gun to make sure once I get it I am comfortable. (I'm former Army 101st Air Assault Infantry and have grown up with guns, so I don't need a safety class. I just have never had a permit.) Thanks for your help and advice!:ingo:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    That's a wide open Question.
    Depends on whether you want revolver or semi.
    Caliber,size of gun,how much you want to spend..;)........

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Any good quality service pistol in 9mm, 40S&W or 45 acp. The polymer framed, striker fired guns tend to be easy to shoot and lighter in weight. So Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, FNS, Walther P99/PPQ, Ruger SR9.

The trick is to buy a good gun belt. By this I mean a belt made to carry the gun. Also invest in a good holster. The Glocks, M&P & XDs will give you the greatest number of holster choices. Just this weekend I carried a full size 1911 all around Clarksville. Good belt, holster and a cover garment and I was good to go.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm leaning toward a Glock, but I want to be able to wear it comfortably...I think a .40 caliber would be enough. I'm not Mr. Moneybags.

I used to carry (and still do occasionally) a Glock 23 in a comp-tac mtac. It is now my lawn mowing gun. Still serviceable for when I need something more concealable then the 1911. The Glock 19/23 platform is a nice compromise between concealability and shootability. I have run the gun in training classes and even shot a USPSA match with it.

Truthfully I would go 9mm over 40S&W. But I do like the ability to drop a conversion barrel into my G23. So one gun two cartridges.

I have an M&P as well and I do not think it would be any harder to conceal then the Glock 23.

Edit: billybob you are close enough that if you wanted I would let you shot these guns.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends how you want to carry it and what you are willing to tolerate.

do you want something for the front pocket of your jeans, a cargo pocket, iwb, owb with a Hawaiian shirt covering it, etc...

and even then, some people iwb a full size service pistol, and some people refuse to iwb such a large handgun.

personally, I iwb a Springfield xds in a whitehat maxtuck holster. It is an awesome rig IMHO.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    9mm is cheaper than and just as effective as .40S&W. Glock 26 and 19 are both good options. Consider a Walther PPS in 9mm if you can lay hands on one. They're so flat that they conceal easily, but still offer a decent firing grip.

I like belts from The BeltMan, but the Ares Ranger belt is also nice and stiff if you don't need leather. Both the CTAC and MTAC are great IWB holsters form Comp-tac.

Also consider an AIWB holster like the Fricke Archangel if you're in decent shape. Just know that reholstering AIWB improperly is likely to kill you.

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.5%
    21   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I agree with Vert a good belt. I have a daltech with a crossbreed supertuk for my Springfield xd45. Easily carried snd easy to conceal with just a un tucked shirt.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm leaning toward a Glock, but I want to be able to wear it comfortably...I think a .40 caliber would be enough. I'm not Mr. Moneybags.

I went with 9mm, it's cheaper to train with and just as effective. As they said, get a GOOD belt, makes all the difference.

If you are leaning towards Glock, check out the 19, it's what I carry. The guys at Orion Arms are down your way and will take care of you. They also have a section here on INGO.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have already mentioned that overall I would choose a 9mm over a 40S&W. That said the 40 cartridge is not the raging beast everyone makes it out to be. I am a wimpy little guy with carpal tunnel and I can handle the Glock 23 just fine. My solution was to purchase a 9mm conversion barrel as opposed to replacing the gun.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    A decent holster and a GOOD belt are important, as others have pointed out.

Other than that, almost any handgun that fits you well is capable of being carried. Take your time and evaluate different firearms.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thank you for your service, from a former Screaming Eagle! Having carried a handgun for most of my adult life, I'd say get something small and lightweight. Otherwise you won't carry daily and if you need a gun (let's hope not) you will find that you left it someplace because it was too heavy or uncomfortable to have on your person. You also probably want a handgun without a manual safety, because if you ever need it, you are going to be in a desperate situation and want it to shoot as fast as you can. I like double-action only or safe action handguns. I like medium calibers, like .38 SPL and 9mm. There is are some great defensive loads now offered in both calibers. I think that there is no need to go under 9mm in power as there are plenty of handguns offered in 9mm that aren't much bigger than those offered in .380. I believe that the .380 is a marginal caliber. If you like revolvers, the S&W 642 is a good choice. If you like autos, the Kahr CM-9 is a possibility. Whatever you choose, practice with it and also (after making sure that it is empty) practice drawing from the holster you have (you should carry in a holster) and reloading, until you feel very comfortable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I also don't see how that is a wide open question. What do you prefer to carry? That's about it.

Because its like asking "what car should I buy?" If I'm 5'5" and single and you are 6'5" with four kids, then what I drive may not be appropriate for you. When it comes to guns, we can offer opinions, but our idea of what is comfortable, what we like to shoot, what grip angle we prefer, what type of sights we prefer, etc. etc. has no bearing on how you answer those questions and without knowing anything about you are answers are next to useless.

Take a look at this thread for some ideas: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/273631-carry-gun-selection.html

While you won't get a specific gun recommendation, it will get you thinking about what features are important to you, and then look to see what guns match up with that criteria. Once you have that in mind, I'd suggest you stop in at Orion Arms and finger what they've got since you are in their neighborhood. They usually have a wide selection of guns, fair prices, and good salespeople who can answer questions without being pushy.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I agree with Vert a good belt. I have a daltech with a crossbreed supertuk for my Springfield xd45. Easily carried snd easy to conceal with just a un tucked shirt.

I also have a Daltech Biobelt, and maybe carrying at Glock 19/23/26 or 27 at any given time, in a Galco King Tuk.

I'd recommend the Glocks, but I believe S&W often offers rebates on the M&Ps for military, so that may be a consideration. The M&Ps are nice guns, just not for me as I am too accustomed to the Glock trigger.

I'd recommend buying into a platform when you do pick up a gun, i.e. get a gun like a Glock 19, where if you decide later you also want a subcompact you can pick up a 26 and share magazines, holsters, etc with the 19.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I also have a Daltech Biobelt, and maybe carrying at Glock 19/23/26 or 27 at any given time, in a Galco King Tuk.

I'd recommend the Glocks, but I believe S&W often offers rebates on the M&Ps for military, so that may be a consideration. The M&Ps are nice guns, just not for me as I am too accustomed to the Glock trigger.

I'd recommend buying into a platform when you do pick up a gun, i.e. get a gun like a Glock 19, where if you decide later you also want a subcompact you can pick up a 26 and share magazines, holsters, etc with the 19.

+1. Glock, M&P, Springfield XD, all offer multiple sizes. All the way from competition sized guns to sub compact. Holster options and support equipment is plentiful.

My only real beef with the M&P line is the complete lack of magazines. I really like the feel of the XDs and how they shoot, but I can't get past the whole made in Croatia thing. Glocks are not 'PERFECTION" because they have no soul.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    :yesway:
    Because its like asking "what car should I buy?" If I'm 5'5" and single and you are 6'5" with four kids, then what I drive may not be appropriate for you. When it comes to guns, we can offer opinions, but our idea of what is comfortable, what we like to shoot, what grip angle we prefer, what type of sights we prefer, etc. etc. has no bearing on how you answer those questions and without knowing anything about you are answers are next to useless.

Take a look at this thread for some ideas: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry-issues-self-defense/273631-carry-gun-selection.html

While you won't get a specific gun recommendation, it will get you thinking about what features are important to you, and then look to see what guns match up with that criteria. Once you have that in mind, I'd suggest you stop in at Orion Arms and finger what they've got since you are in their neighborhood. They usually have a wide selection of guns, fair prices, and good salespeople who can answer questions without being pushy.

Top Bottom