• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hei Atzfel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Does anyone have one of these beauties? I discovered it a few months ago from a TV show and just immediately fell in love with it, wanted one ever since. I've decided to start saving up some money to get one and I'm pretty set on the 45-70 Gov't model with a 14" barrel, adjustable sights, walnut grips, and blued finish. Does anyone have any sort of advice or whatnot regarding the Contender? I've done a little research myself but finding much of anything seems to be quite the chore.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    The G2 frame will accept all older barrels, but not the grips and fore-ends.

I have the Contender in about 7 different calibers, including your .45/70govt, but mine is a "Super 16" w/ muzzle brake.

Love the thing, and I just bought a .30/30 Winchester barrel for it.

Hei Atzfel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    The G2 frame will accept all older barrels, but not the grips and fore-ends.

I have the Contender in about 7 different calibers, including your .45/70govt, but mine is a "Super 16" w/ muzzle brake.

Love the thing, and I just bought a .30/30 Winchester barrel for it.
    I wasn't sure if the G2 would work with any of the older parts, since I read something saying that T/C made some changes to the G2 model, but even if it'll accept older barrels I'd probably just order any secondary caliber barrels directly from the T/C website. I was really sad that the gunshop near my grandparent's house in Anderson sold the 45/410 Contender they had before I could get enough money for it.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Be careful, because owning a Contender or Encore can lead to an addiction called barrelitis. I have had over 100 different barrels in the last 16 years.

Don't limit yourself to factory barrels, because even though most are good, the custom barrels are even better and can be had just as inexpensive sometimes. If you haven't found them yet SSK, Bullberry and Match Grade Machine make some excellent barrels. There are others such as OTT, Mike Bellm and David White who use some different methods to make barrels and are also highly regarded, but I haven't personally owned any of them. Bullberry usually has a sale in February selling off the stubs from the previous years builds so you can save some money and still have a custom barrel.

This forum as informative as it is doesn't have a lot of talk about the single shot stuff. Check out Graybeard Outdoors and Specialty Pistols if you want to speed up the learning curve. Feel free to PM any questions on the T/C products because I don't mind talking about them.

Hei Atzfel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Be careful, because owning a Contender or Encore can lead to an addiction called barrelitis. I have had over 100 different barrels in the last 16 years.

Don't limit yourself to factory barrels, because even though most are good, the custom barrels are even better and can be had just as inexpensive sometimes. If you haven't found them yet SSK, Bullberry and Match Grade Machine make some excellent barrels. There are others such as OTT, Mike Bellm and David White who use some different methods to make barrels and are also highly regarded, but I haven't personally owned any of them. Bullberry usually has a sale in February selling off the stubs from the previous years builds so you can save some money and still have a custom barrel.

This forum as informative as it is doesn't have a lot of talk about the single shot stuff. Check out Graybeard Outdoors and Specialty Pistols if you want to speed up the learning curve. Feel free to PM any questions on the T/C products because I don't mind talking about them.

I'm kinda being wary about the non-manufacturer barrels after I read that a lot of them are chambered for calibers that the Contender wasn't made to handle and that that can lead to a bit of unsafe operating.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    All of the first three I listed have Contender specific listings for safe cartridges and will not chamber for anything in excess of it's capabilities. SSK is the most likely to push limits, but also the most knowledgeable on what those limits are. I just sent one of my Super 16 barrels in 223 Remington to SSK for a rechamber to 226JDJ because the chamber was off center enough you could see it. It will come back with load data from SSK that will match the 22-250 in an equivalent length barrel, but will be safe in the Contender due to the sharp shoulder angle.

If you really want to try unsafe get a T/C factory 10" octagon barrel in 45 Colt and run some Contender Only loads through it. I ripped the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger shooting some using a Pachmyr Presentation grip. The only thing worse would be their 10" octagon in 30-30 Winchester.

Hei Atzfel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    All of the first three I listed have Contender specific listings for safe cartridges and will not chamber for anything in excess of it's capabilities. SSK is the most likely to push limits, but also the most knowledgeable on what those limits are. I just sent one of my Super 16 barrels in 223 Remington to SSK for a rechamber to 226JDJ because the chamber was off center enough you could see it. It will come back with load data from SSK that will match the 22-250 in an equivalent length barrel, but will be safe in the Contender due to the sharp shoulder angle.

If you really want to try unsafe get a T/C factory 10" octagon barrel in 45 Colt and run some Contender Only loads through it. I ripped the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger shooting some using a Pachmyr Presentation grip. The only thing worse would be their 10" octagon in 30-30 Winchester.

Ouch. Well note to self not to do that unless I have a sudden psychotic wish for self harm :P

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If you have gotten the itch for contender setups then look for a gen1 frame. Sure the grips and fore ends are different between the two but the biggest difference
    is the trigger

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't limit yourself to standard commercial chamberings. The selection of wildcat calibers is extensive. The Herretts, 30 & 357, really perform in the 10" barrels. Don't overlook TCU's, either.
    Mike Bellm and David White have done a good bit of development for the TC's. Gary Reeder has the more exotic list available. Bring your wallet!
    GNR Wildcat Cartridges

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    G2 are stronger, can handle the boomers (reportedly).

MGM offers bbls for the G2..............saw they had it in .300 Savage.

There were bbls in that for the old ones, but people hot rodded em and the aftermarket folks dropped em.

Was a surprise to see that offered again. G2 only.

While the larger caliber thumpers had lower pressures, they still seem to me to be a bit much in a G1.
    Largest I'd run in a G1 would be .35 rem. or .44 mag.

.45-70? Def G2.

gemihur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    45-70 tops out at 28,000 psi.
    Backthrust ain't bad, recoil is, tho.
    Smaller case heads like .223 can be run to 55, 000 easily and safely... even in original contender frame.
    Quoted as noted:
    "...Advertising hype & aura are hard to overcome when facts are less sensational, but the fact remains that large diameter cases and small bores are counterproductive in Contenders. The small diameter .222 Rem. Mag. Imp. case permits hot loads in the 55,000 psi range safely and holds about 33 gr. of powder, ample capacity to propel .22 cal. bullets at velocities pretty close to on par with the standard .22-250, which of course is too hot for the Contender.
    The .222 Rem. Mag. Imp. is one of those gems that most people will trip over in favor of hype." Mike Bellm from 226 JDJ vs. .222 Rem Mag Improved article

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I know everything has its place but wouldn’t an encore provide you with many many more
    options since it can go from pistol to
    rifle? If max versatility is what your after. I looked at encores but after looking at barrel prices can buy another whole Gun for some
    of the prices

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I know everything has its place but wouldn’t an encore provide you with many many more
    options since it can go from pistol to
    rifle? If max versatility is what your after. I looked at encores but after looking at barrel prices can buy another whole Gun for some
    of the prices

Contenders can be made into rifles. Rimfires too.

Contenders are not as bulky as Encores, and the G1's have pretty sweet triggers.

If you want a higher pressure rifle, Encore the way to go........if you like the idea of a magnum in a break open.
    Personally I think the ergonomics of the Encore suck.
    Like the Contender G1 better, w Rynite (thinner) stock.

To each his/her own.

Agree that bbl prices make it a hard sell these days.
    Can buy a different rifle for not much more.

And more rifles is a good thing.

Unless you live some place where having a rifle takes a lot of $/paperwork. Or you just like the idea of a "kit".
    Personally I hate even swapping bbls on a shotgun, will buy another shotgun.
    And yeah, when I was into Contenders, I had three of them, because I didn't want to swap barrels LOL.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I've owned my Contender for 29 years and have gone through a few barrels over the years. Originally I bought it for use in NRA silhouette and it actually came with a 10" 357 Mag barrel which I still have. Also have a couple of 10" 22 match barrels and finally a Super 14 in 223. The 223 is the best shooting of all the barrels I have owned.

Top Bottom