Bersa Thunder CC problems, and Bersa customer service... Any good?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Anyone have experience with Bersa customer service? A couple months ago a friend of my dad bought one of the Bersa Thunder 380 CC's from Bradis, didn't shoot it for quite a while, then finally tried to shoot it and told my dad it wouldn't feed right, and never got to shoot it. Dad and I took it out this afternoon, and it appears he got a LEMON. Fail to Feed about 80% of the time... The ONLY thing it would feed halfway reliable was FMJ, tried Federal hollowpoints, and Hornady Critical Defense, failed to feed close to 100% of the time with those... Tried alternating rounds of different types, using his magazines, magazines from my dad's Bersa, no joy.
    At church tomorrow dad is going to advise him to contact Bradis and Bersa and see what can be done about getting the problem fixed... I can't remember examples offhand, but I seem to remember hearing Bersa customer service was pretty good? I'm fairly certain between the two, the problem can be solved.

Anyone else had similar problems with the CC model? Dad and my sis both have the normal Thunder 380, and neither has ever had any type of problems with them...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Right on, that's the kind of good stuff I was hoping to hear. I've known the guy since I was a kid, went to school with his kids, and this is his first handgun ever, and he got a dud, so I feel bad for him. I'll pass the info along!

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Several months ago, I had some problems with my .380 Bersa Thunder. I took it to where I bought it, MCSports in Bloomington, and they shipped it to Colorado Gunworks, in Lyons, IN. It took about a month to get it back, but it was because the guy at CG was working by himself. From what I hear, he is the "go-to guy" for Bersa guns. Since he repaired it last January, I have not had a bit of trouble with it. Contact them, they should do you a good job.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I have had a Bersa for years, absolutely no problems. I also know two others, one with a Thunder, and one with a CC. None of us have ever had
    any issues. I tell you this, because Bersa makes excellent quality guns. If you go on the Bersa forum, you will find many great comments about their
    customer service, from the few people who have had to use it.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Had my Thunder .380 cc for three years now, very pleased. A few weeks ago I called Blythe's in Valpo looking for a nine round mag with the extension on the end. They had one in stock. Picked it up that Saturday and was able to get on the range. Getting that eight nine rounds were tough with the new mag. Had a couple FTF. I am sure that once the spring gets worked in it will be fine. That extension on the magazine makes a HUGE difference in the grip. Overall dam good handgun.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Had my Thunder .380 cc for three years now, very pleased. A few weeks ago I called Blythe's in Valpo looking for a nine round mag with the extension on the end. They had one in stock. Picked it up that Saturday and was able to get on the range. Getting that eight nine rounds were tough with the new mag. Had a couple FTF. I am sure that once the spring gets worked in it will be fine. That extension on the magazine makes a HUGE difference in the grip. Overall dam good handgun.

We tried it with both mags it came with (one with and one without extension) and both mags from my dad's thunder, same problems with all mags. HPs were worse than FMJ, but not by much.

I haven't heard anything from dad to know if his friend has contacted anyone about it yet or not.

Hoosier8

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like Bersa but read something about them deforming where the slide stop catches so I checked mine and sure enough, it was slightly deformed. I have not shot mine much so wonder how that will deteriorate with a lot of shooting. No matter, the warranty is lifetime.

Irishshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Avon
    I do like my bersa 9mm but I don't have anything good to say about there service or CGW in Lyons.
    I sent my gun to CGW at the end of August, with what I suspected was a bent extractor.
    It cost me about $40 to ship it fed ex and I considered ordering a new extractor and replacing it myself, but thought if it was something else I would void the warranty.
    I never heard from them and I called after about a month just to make sure they had it. They told me they were running behind because reps from Bersa had been visiting. Assured me they would get to it and call me before it was shipped.
    Almost 3 months after I sent it I got an email from UPS telling me a package was being shipped to me from Eagle Imports (Bersa's US importer). When nothing arrived the next day I called CGW and they said they shipped it and it should be at my door the next business day. I asked what was wrong and they said they replaced the extractor.
    The gun did arrive the next day with no list of what they did or anything.
    I was disappointed, to say the least, in the poor communication by CGW and that I was without my gun for 3 months.
    I have not tried it out yet, but hopefully this will be my last transaction with Bersa warranty service.

J480

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    Griffith IN
    Just picked up a bersa cc 380 from blythes valpo a few weeks ago. heard of mag problems,ftf's, but it ate up pmc hollow points and winchester white box with no problems. granted it was only about 70 rounds ran thru. mag compatibility is also a concern. the 7 and 9 rounders fit,but have feed isssues. picked up the mecgar 8 rounder with extension(MGBT3808B) and it worked perfectly. The base pads don't interchange, i tried... This is also from not cleaning out all the factory oils before firing. Hope the issues get worked out.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I have owned numerous 380's Thunders, and older styles. Not one issue, not a misfire, fail to feed, extract, nada. Load, aim, breathe, and fire. Repeat. I would run a couple of boxes of ball ammo, clean, and then some hollow points. Can't speak of their repair places, never used any of them. Sorry to hear of your scenario. Good luck!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Talked to dad when we went out the woods the day after Thanksgiving, apparently the 380 CC was mailed off to the Indiana service center 2-3 weeks ago, so hopefully he gets it back and it runs fine for him. Just sucks for someone's first handgun to have problems like that.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Finally got an update on this. Talked to dad about it Saturday.

Apparently his friend got the Bersa back from Customer Service (not sure exactly when), and he and dad went shooting Saturday morning. Still had the same problem. Dad let friend shoot his Bersa also (never a lick of trouble with it), same problem.

After observing a bit, dad suspects limp-wristing is the cause. He's going to try to take him back out sometime and work on that.

Bersa CS seems to be on the ball. Not sure what (if anything) they did to the gun, but friend seemed pleased with the turnaround time.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It looks like I'll be sending back my Thunder 9 due to FTF issues. I've heard Bersa has good customer service but they are a little slow. Good thing I have other guns to keep me busy in the meantime.

Top Bottom