Well my worst nightmare has become reality...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    I have 6 firearms mostly handguns and as some of you know im active duty military stationed in california, well most of my guns are with me however i left two behind when i last went home my AR-which is not cali legal-and my kimber that i was trying to sell. long story short my little brother found where my father hid the kimber, which was unlocked so that he could show potential buyers. He then proceeded to show it to some of his awesome drug dealing friends who stole it from him:xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad: he is a senior in high school going to anthis for none other than the law enforcement class:rolleyes: and attempting to follow in my familys footsteps and join the Marines now he is involved with the police and im out a kimber at the moment, i lost the paper i had with the serial number on it so im screwed there and my insurance only covers the firearms that i have in cali(which i have promply changed) any advice?

oh and the best part they were using the gun to rob people who they sold drugs to

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Sounds like your brother owes you a new pistol.
    Chalk it up to experience. Maybe next time put them in a safe deposit box.

SubUrbanCamo317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    South Side Indy
    Well, I would definitely be a little more careful with trusting your brother. Im not saying he is untrustworthy, but he definitely needs to think stuff like that through. I just had two handguns stolen from my home by someone I trusted, I know your anger and your pain. its not a good feeling.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Are you a member of the NRA? If so, you can probably make a claim on the theft with the insurance that comes with your membership. You may need a copy of the police report listing the stolen pistol.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    If you registered it in CA, the CA DOJ has the serial number. There is a form to fill out and they will send you a list of every handgun you have ever registered in CA. The list will show any, wether you sold them or still have them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Pics and report to a mod if it has customizations done to it. They might be able to throw something up about it and we can keep an eye out. I'm on Armslist everyday looking at handguns.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Sorry for your loss. As stated if you bought it retail the seller will have it in his "Book". If not and it was a private Sale the seller may be able to trace the Serial#. Your Bro knows who took it, Get the Truth from him (Think Waterboarding). Don't EVER leave Firearms where they will not be locked up. I hope you get the Kimber back.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    thanks for your service, and i'm sorry for your loss.

1st thing, contact the dealer you bought it from, if they have your info in a computer program, thay should be able to find it, the shop i work at has all the info, ie serial number, dealer cost, what we sold it for, when we sold it, caliber, all the important stuff, now the bad news, if they are not on a computer, you will need to know when you bought it, month and year!, the dealer has to keep the 4473 for 20 years, if it was bought more that 20 years ago, you might be out of luck(the shop i work at has a bonfire and burns them after 20 years)

now if you cant remember the month and year you bought it, the dealer MIGHT charge you a fee to look it up, the shop i work at cant look it up without the month and year(we sell over 4 thousand every year) and we cant stop and look it up for you, we do the best we can,but if you say you bought the gun in 03 or 04, that would mean looking at every 4473 for two years!(we had a guy call us, and couldnt remember when he bought it, i told him there was nothing i could do, 5 mins later, the sherrif's office called and asked us to look it up, i had to tell them the same thing, looking at a years worth of forms takes a long time)

i've never tried this, but did you sent in the warranty card?, if you did you might try kimber. worth a shot

now what ive been teling people to do, i have all my firearms sn#, description, caliber, finish and so on, typed up, with a copy locked up in my office a work(not the gunshop i work at, thats a part time job), my dad has a copy in his safe(i have a copy of his too) and ive emailed a copy to myself, if my house burns down or my safe gets stolen, i can access my info from any computer.

now for the really bad part...looking your little brother in the eye at thanksgiving, christmas, birthdays, and so on...and while your in millitay uniform...and he's in a prison jumpsuit...cause now he's a felon, and will never get his dress uniform! and he can say goodbye to ever being a law enforcement officer.

Top Bottom